Summer Transfer

Craigieboy

3 minutes ago, piffer said:

Without suggesting we go crazy I wonder with this seasons performance and the increased revenue if any money will be made available to the manager. I read a couple of weeks ago that Kelly the Livi keeper could be available for a relatively low fee. Could we be in a position to sign someone like him who could go on to be a sellable asset?

Yes for me in principal. Possible to pick up some talent for relatively low fees and sell on at a later date. It would be crazy for me to have a policy that “ we don’t pay transfer fees”. It’s case by case based on what the player can bring, his salary and potential as saleable asset I the future. 

39 minutes ago, piffer said:

I read a couple of weeks ago that Kelly the Livi keeper could be available for a relatively low fee. Could we be in a position to sign someone like him who could go on to be a sellable asset?

If Kelly is any good, could we do a player + cash deal with MacDonald going the other way?

I can't see him wanting to stay and Livi would be handy for him.

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

If Kelly is any good, could we do a player + cash deal with MacDonald going the other way?

I can't see him wanting to stay and Livi would be handy for him.

It’ll be interesting to see how the MacDonald situation plays out over the summer. Does he go back to being first choice? Do we look to sign another first choice keeper? SSC seems to have handled him better than Lee Clark did in dropping him but how does that effect his confidence. 

6 hours ago, piffer said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the MacDonald situation plays out over the summer. Does he go back to being first choice? Do we look to sign another first choice keeper? SSC seems to have handled him better than Lee Clark did in dropping him but how does that effect his confidence. 

Lee Clark was also making him train at three o'clock in the afternoon when he had a young family. 

Edited by fraz65

Hopefully SC will stay on for the next season but I am sure he will already have  plans in place for bring in new recruits and probably 2 different time scales ---depending on results in next few weeks 

Hopefully once our European place is confirmed he will probably look to sign at least couple players in earlier to improve certain areas of the team ready for our European "adventures" 

20 hours ago, historyman said:

Has played about 40 games in the last 4 years. No thanks.

Kirk Broadfoot played four times in the season before joining us. Chris Burke played six. Both came to Killie and have been key players.

Obviously I'm not advocating splashing money we don't have or signing him if his injury problems are still an issue - but he's technically the type of player that could replace Mulumbu.

4 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

Kirk Broadfoot played four times in the season before joining us. Chris Burke played six. Both came to Killie and have been key players.

Obviously I'm not advocating splashing money we don't have or signing him if his injury problems are still an issue - but he's technically the type of player that could replace Mulumbu.

I think those are different cases. Both Broadfoot and Burke had long careers and many seasons where they played many games. Given the track record of MacLeod over a four year period I think there is a big question mark over whether he can maintain the necessary level of fitness. To me he looks more like a Gary Locke or a Steven Smith and he would spend more time on the treatment table elsewhere. It will be interesting to see where he does end up in the summer, he is certainly a gamble fpr any club unless its on a contract linked to performances.

16 minutes ago, historyman said:

I think those are different cases. Both Broadfoot and Burke had long careers and many seasons where they played many games. Given the track record of MacLeod over a four year period I think there is a big question mark over whether he can maintain the necessary level of fitness. To me he looks more like a Gary Locke or a Steven Smith and he would spend more time on the treatment table elsewhere. It will be interesting to see where he does end up in the summer, he is certainly a gamble fpr any club unless its on a contract linked to performances.

I don't disagree that it would be a risk, but the point I was trying to make is that you can't base players solely on their injury records. I'd be delighted if we took a gamble on him with a short-term deal. Plenty of players have been written off, been given final chance and done well - if he can be more the Templeton at Accies rather than the Stevie Smith then all the better for us.

As mentioned above Doolan would have been a welcome signing a few years ago but not necessarily now. 

Coulibaly needs to go somewhere to play regular football and that may mean dropping down as low as juniors and trying to climb back up. Was it simply Caldwell didn’t fancy him or was he just not up to it at Thistle?

39 minutes ago, piffer said:

As mentioned above Doolan would have been a welcome signing a few years ago but not necessarily now. 

Coulibaly needs to go somewhere to play regular football and that may mean dropping down as low as juniors and trying to climb back up. Was it simply Caldwell didn’t fancy him or was he just not up to it at Thistle?

I think they thought they could fix the contract problems and failed. All got a bit complicated.