Steve Clarke

Guff92

It had been hoped a final decision would be reached by close of play on Friday with Kilmarnock's Steve Clarke and Aberdeen's Derek McInnes the prime candidates.

McInnes reiterated on Friday his club's stance that he will stay at Pittodrie.

Final negotiations will resume after Sunday's Scottish Premiership fixtures bring the top-flight season to a close.

I think SSC has told the SFA, 'wait till after Sunday, then I will tell you'. I think he doesn't trust them to keep it quiet till then. I also suspect that if they did go public before Sunday, then SSC would tell them where to stuff it. He is a very professional man who does his job quietly with integrity and respect. Cross him, and I think you are done!

With the above in mind, I suspect he is going.....but I have been wrong many times before.

Reading the subtext of one of the BBC journos tweets, it's Clarke's if he wants it but he hasn't decided. Would be very in keeping with Clarke to refuse to be drawn until after the Rangers game. I get the sense he has decided one way or another but not made that known. If he had it would have leaked by now. 

Nice of the SFA to fan the flames of speculation on the way to our biggest game of the season.  I doubt they would ever have the gall to act in the same way with the Old Scum, but this week has also shown how much disdain they have for the rest of their members.  An absolute clown show of an organisation whom I wish nothing but the worst. Clarke goes to Scotland then fair enough, he has earned a big job, but be prepared for the disaster you're about to inhabit.

SFA SEARCH OVER 

Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke wins race to become the new Scotland manager

A six-figure compensation fee has been agreed with the Rugby Park outfit for Clarke - who will sign a three year deal

STEVE CLARKE has won the fight to become the new Scotland boss.

He’s set to be named as Alex McLeish’s successor early next week.

The 55-year-old will take charge of Kilmarnock for the last time on Sunday before signing a three-year deal with the SFA.

It’s understood his initial contract will carry him through the Euros, Nations League play-off and the 2022 World Cup campaign.

SunSport can reveal a six-figure compensation fee has been agreed with Killie, while Clarke’s personal terms are also in place.

But out of respect for the Ayrshire club, the SFA won’t formally announce him until after the final round of Premiership matches this weekend.

Clarke, who was always the SFA’s No 1 target, will name his first Scotland squad on May 28, ahead of the Euro 2020 qualifying double-header against Cyprus and Belgium next month.

No decision on his  backroom staff has been made yet.

While Aberdeen’s Derek McInnes and Scotland Under-21 coach Scot Gemmill were both considered by the SFA, Clarke’s name was at the top of their wish list.

Now, two months after McLeish’s last game in charge against San Marino, SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell finally has his man.

Clarke is understood to have carefully considered all his options.

The Scotland job will allow him to return to his family home in the south of England and that was a huge appeal.

As was, of course, the chance to manage his country.

Clarke won six caps for Scotland, having been brought into the international set-up by Andy Roxburgh. He played his last international against Holland in 1994.

Killie owner Billy Bowie returns to the UK on Saturday from holiday and he will conclude the deal with the SFA that will see Clarke take charge of the national team.

Clarke was targeted after the decision to sack McLeish in the wake of the defeat in Kazakhstan and poor performance in San Marino.

Big Eck’s backroom team of Peter Grant, James McFadden and  Stevie Woods went with him, so Clarke will have to appoint a support team.

His Killie No 2 Alex Dyer remains contracted at Rugby Park for another 12 months but could come into contention for a part-time role at Hampden.

If he does go, I'm not sure this will be his first and last stint as Kilmarnock manager, I think he will be our manager again some day. 

We obviously need to respect his attraction to a challenge. 

What he has left or leaves in place at killie is a raft of positivity and with a continuation of that I think we will be ok.

Still hope the info and story is premature. 

He was always going to leave at some point in the next year. I've always felt we've had him longer than we should have a manager of his calibre! Mixu was pinched far quicker and Clarke is twice the manager he was. 

If true, as it appears to be, it means we can go into Sunday confident that it will indeed be his last game, and give him the fitting tribute he deserves. 

The man has been an absolute legend for us and has taken our great club back to where we belong, and beyond.