St Johnstone Match Fred

C4mmy31

Thought we were outstanding today right from the very start. Totally dominant and barely allowed St Johnstone a sniff even with ten men for that short spell. We were fluid and moved the ball really well. Only disappointing thing was we didn’t score more but St Johnstone have their keeper to thank for some cracking saves.

Bachmann had another afternoon off. The back four were great. Taylor not his usual attacking self but nullified the Saints threat down that side and allowed Rory to go and play. Broadfoot and Findlay dominant. Their strikers didn’t get a sniff. SOD up and down all game. Could have offered a better final ball but got us forward and always available. It’s amazing how comfortable we can be at the back and how much they seem to enjoy defending. 

The midfield was superb. Power finding top form again. Mulumbu back to his old self. I thought Dicker was a class above today. Excelled in that anchor role mopping up play. Was no hassle when he had to move back into CB for a short spell. Always available for an easy pass and moved the ball on well.

McKenzie had another great game. I missed last week and Hibs away. The Rory McKenzie I saw today was the same as the boy I saw coming through the youth system. Looking to attack, playing with his head up, creating space and chances for himself and others. Unlucky not to be on the scoresheet today. What a difference to hear the stadium sing his name at the end. Burke on the other side his consistent self. Some of his balls in were excellent and made the defenders work. 

It might not be popular but I thought Boyd did well. He missed that early chance you’d expect him to bury but he kept his head. I think it was his header that forced the first great save. He didn’t win every ball but he made the defenders work so they could win it. He made some great runs which opened the space for others to move into. And as usual you expect him to bury the penalty. 

The two subs looked lively. A couple of great runs from each but could finish it off. Millar looks good but I think he may be more suited to a two. If Ndjoli had a better first touch he’d get on a lot better.

Other than his goal from 6 yards Boyd done nothing. Even his fellow team mates gave up even passing to him because they knew he’d lose it. What a difference millar made when he came on. So eager to get a goal and would have done had o’donell squared it back.

McKenzie was good.

Power my man of the match.

2 minutes ago, piffer said:

Thought we were outstanding today right from the very start. Totally dominant and barely allowed St Johnstone a sniff even with ten men for that short spell. We were fluid and moved the ball really well. Only disappointing thing was we didn’t score more but St Johnstone have their keeper to thank for some cracking saves.

Bachmann had another afternoon off. The back four were great. Taylor not his usual attacking self but nullified the Saints threat down that side and allowed Rory to go and play. Broadfoot and Findlay dominant. Their strikers didn’t get a sniff. SOD up and down all game. Could have offered a better final ball but got us forward and always available. It’s amazing how comfortable we can be at the back and how much they seem to enjoy defending. 

The midfield was superb. Power finding top form again. Mulumbu back to his old self. I thought Dicker was a class above today. Excelled in that anchor role mopping up play. Was no hassle when he had to move back into CB for a short spell. Always available for an easy pass and moved the ball on well.

McKenzie had another great game. I missed last week and Hibs away. The Rory McKenzie I saw today was the same as the boy I saw coming through the youth system. Looking to attack, playing with his head up, creating space and chances for himself and others. Unlucky not to be on the scoresheet today. What a difference to hear the stadium sing his name at the end. Burke on the other side his consistent self. Some of his balls in were excellent and made the defenders work. 

It might not be popular but I thought Boyd did well. He missed that early chance you’d expect him to bury but he kept his head. I think it was his header that forced the first great save. He didn’t win every ball but he made the defenders work so they could win it. He made some great runs which opened the space for others to move into. And as usual you expect him to bury the penalty. 

The two subs looked lively. A couple of great runs from each but could finish it off. Millar looks good but I think he may be more suited to a two. If Ndjoli had a better first touch he’d get on a lot better.

He MaDe SoMe GrEaT rUnS 

Hi Kris, how you doing? Good penalty today.

1 minute ago, Guff92 said:

He MaDe SoMe GrEaT rUnS 

Hi Kris, how you doing? Good penalty today.

Most notably when McKenzie forced the save it was Boydy run which dragged the CBs out of position. He was never going to get the pass but it opened it up for Rory.  I’d much rather have had a Brophy or McAleny in there today with more energy but IMO Boyd made a positive impact. I’ve seen him play a lot worse.

We are a better team with a centre forward with some physical presence. Millar, macaleny and njoli are not these types of player. With brophy out Boyd is the best alternative (although he’s Not an ideal solution). We need to add another center forward as Cameron may still be a season off top team. But that’s for next month. Today is about another controlled performance and winning in second gear. We are a class above the majority of teams in the league right now. Keep it going.

8 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Other than his goal from 6 yards Boyd done nothing. Even his fellow team mates gave up even passing to him because they knew he’d lose it. What a difference millar made when he came on. So eager to get a goal and would have done had o’donell squared it back.

McKenzie was good.

Power my man of the match.

Just about sums up your football knowledge..  try 12 yards for penalty... which Boyd created with his header. He also hit the bar...and as others mentioned made some good runs to open up space... I lost count of the number of times the pass wasn't made either at all or quickly enough when we did. The first half I thought Boyd did really well. With our other sticking options when did we last have one of them score with a header or create a chance.

I like Millar but he needs a physical player next to him. I would have taken a defensive player off and kept Boyd on for another 10mins to see how they played together.

McKenzie like last Saturday was great and a real threat with Burke on the other wing.

Against Aberdeen we will need a physical approach..so unless brophy is fully fit.. the same starting 11 for me.

In bygone seasons this could been a very tricky 3 game week .....ended up with 2 very comfortable home wins and a well deserved away point....scored 7 and could easily been a lot more and kept 3 clean sheets ...great quality football and a very motivated squad

.... Been so much to enjoy for us fans this season 

• CB unpinned this topic

For all Boyd's direct contribution is limited by his lack of mobility, he doesn't give defenders an easy time of it when the ball is in the air. Part of our success this week has been from the way the team around him has reacted to the 2nd ball. We've shown so much desire to be first onto Boyd's knockdowns or poor clearances from defenders under pressure. We've managed the loss of our 1st choice strikers well. 

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Another black eye for Findlay.....

IMG_20190406_184517.jpg.0fb62de08ea2c2d728bb25405324e4a3.jpg

It looked like the striker was going to get away with it until Madden saw the blood. Plenty of folk around me felt it should have been a straight red. Fair play to big Stu for coming back on as plenty would have looked to be subbed