Kenny Shiels article

skygod

3 hours ago, virtuocity said:

Some interesting signings to say the least.

My favourite was Rory Boulding.

Like Pursehouse, was given a three-year contract in the summer of 2012 and, like Pursehouse, was freed in January 2013. 

He joined Dundee Utd on a short-term contract and hardly played but, unfortunately for Kenny, he scored a late winner in a match against Aberdeen which gave United a Top Six place at the expense of.... you've guessed it, Killie!

United didn't give him a contract at the end of the season and he didn't get a club for another year when he joined Falkirk for whom he played six times.

Edited by skygod

Surprised to see the negative feelings towards Kenny that some people have. I started going when Totten was in charge - since then he’s the only manager other than Clarke that has managed to instil a real belief in our players that we can take on the Old Firm and win. 4 wins over them in 2 years, compared to 1 win in 8 years under Jefferies. Always seemed like he had a plan to win the game when we played them.

Gave us our first win at Parkhead in 55 years, first win over Rangers at Rugby Park since the stadium was redeveloped, beat A*r in a semi final and won us a major trophy. Some dreadful results and strange signings too as others have said, but I always felt that was a small price to pay for the success. Definitely had his flaws and was a bit naive but I will always remember him fondly.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, chubbs said:

To think there was one clown on the old board who was adamant that AJ did more to bring through youngsters than Kenny Shiels ...

Kenny was a great manager for us but which youngsters did he bring through during his time in charge? 

Mark O'Hara was the only player he gave a debut to who has gone on to achieve anything in the game, and he's currently on loan at Lincoln City. 

He gave a lot of game time to young players who weren't good enough for the SPL. This seemed to be more out of necessity due to the cost-cutting at the club during those years.

The "AJ/GL ruined them" argument may have some relevance but Jackson Irvine, Stuart Findlay, Josh Magennis and Rory have all developed into decent players. 

Interesting times and obviously remembered for silverware success, but the decline truly set in under Shiels. The Cup win was as spectacular as the attempt at defending it just 6 months later was utterly dreadful: that pathetic defeat to Stenhousemuir and a battalion of signings that were arguably far worse than Lee Clarke's a few years later and on a smaller budget 

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Kenny was a great manager for us but which youngsters did he bring through during his time in charge? 

Mark O'Hara was the only player he gave a debut to who has gone on to achieve anything in the game, and he's currently on loan at Lincoln City. 

Matt Kennedy? 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, killie89 said:

Surprised to see the negative feelings towards Kenny that some people have. I started going when Totten was in charge - since then he’s the only manager other than Clarke that has managed to instil a real belief in our players that we can take on the Old Firm and win. 4 wins over them in 2 years, compared to 1 win in 8 years under Jefferies. Always seemed like he had a plan to win the game when we played them.

He definitely deserves a special place in the club’s history for the League Cup win, and I can’t think of another manager who has articulated better a passion for the club and built a connection with the supporters. 

But for every result against the OF there was a six-goal concession at home to ICT or a farcical defeat at home to Hibs in the cup. 

He couldn’t achieve a consistency in the way that SC has, and was slavish in his obsession with playing out from the back when the players weren’t up to it. 

Some of his outspoken comments were pathetic too - the spat with Paulo Sergio comes to mind - and his antics like standing on the dug-out roof at ICT were embarrassing. 

As others have said, blowing a Top Six place when we needed something like one point from the last two pre-split matches was hard to take.

I think “negative feelings” is a much better description than the “hostility” used by a previous poster.

I don't think anyone should bear KS  any animosity as he was utterly sincere in his beliefs and commitment to the club, but his erratic ways were as likely to have caused us harm as good. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I don't think anyone should bear KS  any animosity as he was utterly sincere in his beliefs and commitment to the club, but his erratic ways were as likely to have caused us harm as good. 

I loved the guy because of his commitment to the club but as I have said multiple times he wisnae the messiah.

It's sad but there does appear to be a weird gene in the Sheils' clan that make them overly sensitive about, and unduly fascinated by, all things connected to the Shiels. Kenny' s post match Kilmarnock interviews often focussed on what appeared to be his favourite topic- Kenny Shiels. It was also evident at Morton. Also is it not slightly surprising he goes on about slights in having his applications to KFC and Hibs ignored but he doesn't appear to remember much detail about who he was looking to replace and who was appointed. It would have shown a undeserved lack of respect but  if he was so upset would he not be able to fill in a few blanks? However all that is nothing compared to another member having to flee to the Western Isles due to the pressure of being a member of the Shiels' family. I may be wrong but I suspect that realtives of other League Cup winning managers such as Jim McIntyre or Danny Lennon somehow managed to cope without changing their name, going into the whatever the football equivalent of witness protection is, let alone feeling forced to do something as striking as  moving to the Outer Hebrides. Has anyone been to Stornoway in January? That's is extreme. 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, killie89 said:

Gave us our first win at Parkhead in 55 years, first win over Rangers at Rugby Park since the stadium was redeveloped, beat A*r in a semi final and won us a major trophy. Some dreadful results and strange signings too as others have said, but I always felt that was a small price to pay for the success. Definitely had his flaws and was a bit naive but I will always remember him fondly.

What about Bobby Williamson? Managed to beat the Huns three times at Ipox. OK never beat Shellic but got a few draws at Porkheid and beat them a couple of times at ToP. 

50 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

What about Bobby Williamson? Managed to beat the Huns three times at Ipox. OK never beat Shellic but got a few draws at Porkheid and beat them a couple of times at ToP. 

Fair point. I was only 13 when Bobby left for Hibs so those games don’t stick out in my mind as much. I still felt under Bobby that we were likely to lose if we played the Old Firm and it was a pleasant surprise if we got a result. Kenny was the only manager other than Clarke where I genuinely went into games against them thinking that we had a good chance of winning.

Edited by killie89