Indyref2

Shropshire_killie

1 minute ago, gdevoy said:

We can keep the pound. There is nothing Westminster can do to stop us. What they can do is deny us a currency union.

We could issue our own currency, but I suspect most transactions would still be in sterling and everybody apart from the Patriots would insist on being paid in it. In short a currency issued by the new Scottish Government would be like bank of toytown money. I'm not saying it's an easy problem to solve, it's just that it sunk the last vote and without a credible solution the Tories will use it to sink the next.

Why not just use monopoly money?

13 hours ago, Scooter said:

Hmm, I'm questioning why you're even here if it's just to lambaste... wat a waste of bandwidth you truly are.

im still questioning why you are still not clarifying the prince charles and westminster quote? typical really just try and move it on to something else and continue to try and flog some magic beans. 

12 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

im still questioning why you are still not clarifying the prince charles and westminster quote? typical really just try and move it on to something else and continue to try and flog some magic beans. 

I must agree with scooter, you’ve little comprehension of what Scottish politics is like and simply come on this forum to spout nonsense while offering absolutely nothing of any worth to the debate.

Edited by Beaker71

7 hours ago, gdevoy said:

We can keep the pound. There is nothing Westminster can do to stop us. What they can do is deny us a currency union.

We could issue our own currency, but I suspect most transactions would still be in sterling and everybody apart from the Patriots would insist on being paid in it. In short a currency issued by the new Scottish Government would be like bank of toytown money. I'm not saying it's an easy problem to solve, it's just that it sunk the last vote and without a credible solution the Tories will use it to sink the next.

So you still believe that WM after witnesses the economic shambles that the possibility of Brexit has brought would happily deny a currency union, thereby devaluing the currency by 10% or lore instantly when the entire economic input of the Scottish exchequer is removed.

remember Scotland is the ONLY nation in the UK which has a positive balance of trade.

2 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Prince Charles can and has spoken as a member of the House of Lords. He has regular meetings with the prime minister. He represents the U.K. at home and abroad. He is infamous for his meddling “Black spider” memos to various government departments. His “charities” lobby in support of his beliefs at every level at Westminster. Is that Westminstery enough for you?

3 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

I'm still questioning why you don't use the search function? The quote was a summary of an easily found conversation if you are really interested. It did hit a nerve with the other party though, which is always pleasing. :)

I'm sure as a rampant Tory, you'll know the price of those "magic beans" but not their value. ;)

13 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Dumfries House is a fantastic asset, and you're off the mark with that one Scooter.

Think youve missed the point here Scoob... I don't deny the estate has been good for the local area in recent years, but it was brought up as an example of good, well paying jobs returning to the area when it clearly isn't any such thing. 

For all the admirable work by individuals, local groups and the community to turn things around, folk need real jobs to combat years of degeneration, neglect and poverty, to sustsain good standards of living and bring up families, and that just doesnt happen in the small scale service industries being touted.

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Think youve missed the point here Scoob... I don't deny the estate has been good for the local area in recent years, but it was brought up as an example of good, well paying jobs returning to the area when it clearly isn't any such thing. 

For all the admirable work by individuals, local groups and the community to turn things around, folk need real jobs to combat years of degeneration, neglect and poverty, to sustsain good standards of living and bring up families, and that just doesnt happen in the small scale service industries being touted.

You’ve no idea what type of jobs they are. I don’t have a detailed knowledge either, I do know a restaurant manager and an engineer who work there and even minimum wage jobs (as if they’re not common in Scotland) give young people valuable experience. Anyway, I’m  still waiting on you telling me about the real jobs the Scottish Government have created in the area in the twelve years they have been in power. Surely, the must have if it’s so easy! Do tell. If only we had a flag manufacturer I suppose that might have been a boon for us. In the meantime, the SNP leader of East Ayrshire Council seems impressed. 

3BED8547-DA57-4483-BABC-6C8EFAC7FF71.png.6ff7ff9cef6c9c0a4ebb3567658d737b.png

These are some of the initiatives. So it’s a wee bit above the local burger joint. 

C48F8BDD-A947-4C7E-9F89-2403CB50E012.png.5048f03a0b30bfa2fc414e7e8f967d41.png

People actually DOING something, rather than obsessing about a referendum that nobody wants. I welcome anything that helps the local community. 

Edited by Mclean07

I’m not a local, but this Dumfries house doesn’t look all that. Turnover of just over a couple of million. Year on year losses. Low paid gig economy jobs. But fair doos to those who put their money where their mouths are, like the Scottish Government who chipped in £5 million because of the promise of jobs. Unlike Charlie, who only loaned £20 million (I wonder at what interest rate) so he could buy the place for himself and bail out one of his struggling aristocratic chums. 

McLeans deference to Chuck is understandable. Here’s a man who has criticised health and safety laws, human rights legislation, compared the treatment of wealthy landowners to that endured by blacks and gays. A controlling individual who won’t let a single plant or bench on the estate be put in without his approval. A manipulative man who has exploited and abused his powerful position in a way which has routinely been described as unconstitutional. A working class hero or a laird harking back to the “good old days” of the highland clearances and people knowing their place? You decide.  

5 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

So you still believe that WM after witnesses the economic shambles that the possibility of Brexit has brought would happily deny a currency union, thereby devaluing the currency by 10% or lore instantly when the entire economic input of the Scottish exchequer is removed.

Actually, after the backtracking on the Brexit malarkey, no I don't believe WM on their "no currency union" stuff but the threat of it could influence a critical part of the electorate.

6 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

I must agree with scooter, you’ve little comprehension of what Scottish politics is like and simply come on this forum to spout nonsense while offering absolutely nothing of any worth to the debate.

I have some sympathy with your observation regarding politics in Scotland but he raises many valid points. Points which will be raised again and again during any indyref2 campaign and points the SNP will have to address if they are to win over more than just their core support.

4 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I have some sympathy with your observation regarding politics in Scotland but he raises many valid points. Points which will be raised again and again during any indyref2 campaign and points the SNP will have to address if they are to win over more than just their core support.

The only people who should have concerns about winning over more than their core support are unionists The scales have tipped. Eyes have been opened to Westminster’s lies. The Empire is about to fall. Orangemen and auld fearties won’t be enough to preserve the status quo. 

The young don’t get their daily dose of propaganda from the bbc. Immigrants now see you Brits for what you are after the Brexit debacle. Yes will top 55% in indy2. That’s why May and her cabal of fools are running scared. 

2 minutes ago, Zorro said:

That’s why May and her cabal of fools are running scared. 

May is so focused on trying to hold together a hugely unstable Tory party that I don't think the possibility of Scottish independence is even on her radar.

You could see last week how shocked and surprised she was by how her government's failure to govern was impacting on the political stability in Ireland.

Scotland is way down the list.

13 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Scotland is way down the list.

Finally something we agree on. The city of London, London, the south east, England are her priorities in that order. That’s why people like McLean get excited about a few minimum wage at some toffs stately home. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Zorro said:

Tut, tut. I’d expect better from you. “Waste” indeed. Here’s a cutout and keep guide to help you in future- 

Wullie Rennie is a WASTE of oxygen. 

Ruth Davidson has bawjaws and an incredibly large waist.

LOL.

I must have contracted Bob's Syndrome!! :2:

On 4/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, Scooter said:

Doff cap, tug forelock, three bags full ser! 

1261843706_GothBow.gif.c09606e762b8e486b6dd3b72593845a8.gif

Still waiting for you to tell me about the quality manufacturing jobs the SNP have facilitated in the Cumnock area. Genuinely interested to learn. If the have in fact created none, can you tell us of your own ideas and what your new manufacturing units in the area are going to produce. Many thanks. 

28 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Still waiting for you to tell me about the quality manufacturing jobs the SNP have facilitated in the Cumnock area. Genuinely interested to learn. If the have in fact created none, can you tell us of your own ideas and what your new manufacturing units in the area are going to produce. Many thanks. 

Mate there's no even a train station in Cumnock, cos the aristocrats back in the day refused to allow it to stop on their land!

The economic dysfunction as you well know in that area has been going on for over a hundred years.

As we now live in a service economy, run largely out of cities, post industrial towns like Cumnock with poor transport links are all fecked.

Labour did nothing while in power to reverse the manufacturing decline of the previous Tory administration, in fact they doubled down on the low wage service economy, an economy the people of Cumnock were excluded from.

Inequality of access it's called, but you can't blame the SNP for the M77 stopping at Fenwick or the 19th century trainline bypassing your town - cos some aristocrat said so!

Edited by RAG

29 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

There is nothing anybody, Tories, SNP or Labour, can do about jobs the Cumnock /  Auchinleck area. Or indeed any sort of quality jobs in Ayrshire more generally. Thatcher took us down the service economy route which means virtually the only work for anybody without a university degree is in a call centre. Low paid and concentrated in the big cities.

Sadly, in the coming years we are going to be economically overtaken by many places, principally China, whether Scotland is independent or not. All we are choosing is the least worst option. I could blame Hilda but I fear the damage was really done by 2 world wars fought nearly 100 years ago from which, due to a total lack of vision, we have never really recovered economically.,

15 minutes ago, RAG said:

Inequality of access it's called, but you can't blame the SNP for the M77 stopping at Fenwick ....................

That still didn't stop Diagio from pulling out of Kilmarnock, but I sympathise totally with your point about the lack of a train station.

The problems, however, run much deeper I fear.