Other Kits 2019/20

1 hour ago, virtuocity said:

Great initiative by Thistle. 

If there's one person you think might disagree, who would it be?

Correct - it's Frank McAvennie!

If a Partick Thistle fan refuses to buy his child a strip which pays tribute to gay pride because he’s worried his child will get slagged, does that make him a homophobe?

No, it makes him a considerate dad, who is putting his child’s feelings before any political statement.

And the club loses his money as a result.

Then multiply that by potentially hundreds of parents who are going to take the same stance. Suddenly the club is needlessly kissing goodbye to cash it can ill afford to be without.

Time will tell but I reckon Partick Thistle have scored a needless own goal by adding two bright bands of rainbow colours to their new away strip in a nod to the LGBT community.

Not because I don’t believe in the sentiment, which is excellent. LGBT people continue to face discrimination and bullying and anything that raises awareness of the garbage they still have to put up with, should be applauded.

But I’m just not sure the platform in this case is the right one.

The reaction from a lot of their fans on social media shows that this is a risky move and perhaps one that wasn’t worth taking.

The Firhill faithful, from what I could see, were split on the issue, but it also demonstrated how many dinosaurs there are out there.

And then there are others who don’t have an opinion one way or another — they just support their team and are not interested in anything else.

The vast majority of supporters the world over want their heroes to put the ball in the net more times than their opponents and that’s about it.

Generally speaking they don’t sign up for that lifetime of commitment — bringing joy and heartache with it — all because that team has made a bold political statement.

At the end of the day, punters don’t like having things like this rammed down their throats. Footy fans are a fickle bunch and they take exception to having opinions forced upon them.

You can’t force followers to advertise a standpoint by making them wear it on a replica kit, whether they like it or not.

And by the way, that exact point has also been made to me by a couple of gay pals I’ve discussed it with. There will almost certainly be elements of the Jags support who hold firm religious beliefs who will not be happy about the strip and won’t be buying it.

When I was a boy, I sometimes went to watch Thistle when Celtic were playing away from home. My dad was a devout Catholic and he would not have let me wear that strip. But that was back in the 1970s and things have moved on.

Now before I go any further, I realise I’m the last person the Jags will want to take advice from. I’ve never been forgiven for a last-minute u-turn and snubbing them for a return to Celtic when I was poised to put pen to paper.

But after quarter of a century I hope they are prepared to let bygones be bygones and if they’re prepared to listen, I have a solution.

They should bring out two versions of this strip — one with the rainbow colours and one without.

And then it will come down to a straight choice for everyone and those who want to make the statement can wear it loud and proud. And those who would rather not, can still buy the kit.

Surely that’s the perfect win-win situation.

The club will benefit from plenty of sales and the stance they are taking on an important global issue will continue to be recognised and applauded.

It seems a no-brainer to me.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4400176/partick-thistle-lgbt-pride-costly-own-goal-frank-mcavennie/

Was waiting for the ‘but some of my friends are gay’ comment from Macavennie and he didn’t disappoint.  Utter horses**t article.  

Amazing how upset people can get over a symbol which represents, in a peaceful way, something which all decent humans would be all for. 

The ‘yeah but I don’t want ma boy to get bullied’ line is an attitude which is so typical of these morons.  How about raising your kids to respect diversity with a value base which acts to challenge others’ bigoted views?  

Edited by virtuocity

10 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Football and politics should never mix.  I am actually surprised FIFA haven't waded in, whether anyone likes it or not  promoting, supporting, celebrating or fighting discriminatin against LGBT is a political statement, which FIFA do not allow.

It isn't. It's a human rights statement, for which Partick should be applauded, not criticised.