Liam Smith

C4mmy31

It appears one of our youngsters is a wanted man......

RANGERS are battling with Manchester City for Kilmarnock kid Liam Smith.

The 16-year-old SFA Performance School striker has been targeted by Gers but he’s understood to have been down at City for a visit as well.

Left-sided Smith scored the winner for Scotland’s Under-16s against Malta in a three-team tournament on the Mediterranean island in March.

He’s highly rated at Rugby Park but the Ayrshire side now have serious rivals in their bid to keep him.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4219335/rangers-manchester-city-liam-smith-transfer-news-battle-kilmarnock/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

9 minutes ago, historyman said:

That would be a great move for him. Sevco have such a wonderful track record of developing young players....

My thoughts entirely, at clubs like Rangers & Man City, he would be just another youngster with potential.

Thousands have chased the dream before him, but how many actually end up making it at these clubs before being released only to end up scraping by with a career in the lower leagues......

Edited by C4mmy31

These clubs show absolutely no regard for the individual. They stockpile talent with no one keeping them in check. It’s sickening.

As for any individual young player, it’s hard to turn down but I’m not convinced it has a positive effect on their career long term. Playing games has no rival in terms of development. 

I can understand Rangers' motive. They need to scour around looking for a left-sided prospect as they must have already decided that all their options at left wing next season are not up to the job long-term. Perhaps we should feel a bit sorry for their plight...

All Liam Smith needs to do is look at a few whove been at lillie before him who had great promise but never made it.  Ben Gordon is a good example left Leeds for Chelsea and eventually disappeared, matty Kennedy left us for Everton and eventually after years doing nothing has now appeared with st johnstone.

3 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

A Liam Smith is playing  for Ayr today. Not same guy I presume?

That's the really decent ex-Hearts full-back. Wouldn't have minded us signing him.

2 hours ago, Ycfc1922 said:

He’s the one of many leaving the sinking ship that is @yr u7d. Signing for Dundee Utd in the summer. 

Actually pretty gutted. This was Ayr's big chance to finally make it up to the Premiership and that'll likely be it for top flight Ayrshire derbies for another thirty years

3 hours ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

That's the really decent ex-Hearts full-back. Wouldn't have minded us signing him.

Actually pretty gutted. This was Ayr's big chance to finally make it up to the Premiership and that'll likely be it for top flight Ayrshire derbies for another thirty years

Good. I don’t want them to be successful in any way. I don’t want them to go out of business but I in no way want them in the top division. They can rot with Albion Rovers and Brechin etc forevermore. f**k them and the horse they rode in on. WFAANW