Boydie

Trojan76

RIVALS BID Ayr United make cheeky bid to lure Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd to Somerset Park
Ian McCall is on the hunt for a replacement for Lawrence Shankland, who fired a staggering 63 goals in two seasons

IAN McCALL has made a cheeky bid to lure Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd to arch rivals Ayr United.
The 35-year-old striker has hinted he could be prepared to leave Rugby Park for regular first team football after a lack of games last season.

McCall made a pitch for Boyd
And that had alerted McCall who is searching for a replacement for Lawrence Shankland, who is leaving after scoring 63 goals in two seasons.

But the move to tempt Boyd, who lives in Ayr, looks unlikely to get off the ground.

Somerset boss McCall revealed: “I phoned Boyd as I thought he would be ideal for our young kids.

“But the first thing he said was: are you trying to get both of us killed?”

Boyd is taking some time before making a decision over next season
Boyd is out of contract at Killie in the summer but the club have told him they want him to stick around next season.

But in his SunSport column this morning, the veteran hitman admitted he’s going to take some time to think things over before making a decision on his future.

He said: “Part of me thinks it is time to hang up my boots and retire.

“But another part of me wants to keep playing as long as I possibly can.

“Truth be told, I’m still not sure what I want to do next season, so I’m going to take some time to think things through with a clear mind.

“Kilmarnock have said they want me to stay another season. I have also had other managers on the phone for a few weeks now.

“Then there’s my TV and media work, along with my Foundation and youth academy which means a great deal to me.

“There’s a lot for me to think about and I don’t want to rush into anything. But decision time is coming.

McCall hopes Celtic will loan back keeper Ross Doohan for a second season after the youngster was a huge hit with 20 clean sheets, only one short of the Ayr club record.

And he is desperate to keep star midfielder Robbie Crawford despite offers from two Premier League teams and one English club.

Boyd is the best goalscorer I've seen at RP in my era. 

I'd like to see him leave not because I don't like him, but because he deserves to retire on a high, scoring goals. 

To me, at this stage of his career, he isn't able to to that for us - he would be nothing more than a sub for Killie if he stays, going out with a whimper rather than a bang.

For that reason, I think he needs to drop a league (and a few lbs) and start banging the goals in for one more season and retire on a high. 

Edited by jesper

On 5/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, jesper said:

Boyd is the best goalscorer I've seen at RP in my era. 

I'd like to see him leave not because I don't like him, but because he deserves to retire on a high, scoring goals. 

To me, at this stage of his career, he isn't able to to that for us - he would be nothing more than a sub for Killie if he stays, going out with a whimper rather than a bang.

For that reason, I think he needs to drop a league (and a few lbs) and start banging the goals in for one more season and retire on a high. 

This 100%. I think he might be my all-time favourite, I'd love to see him go to Clyde or something and hit an absolute barrel load. Probably even go along to see them one weekend. 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, skygod said:

If - and it is "if" - his nose was out of joint because he didn't get on, it doesn't bode well for his management potential.

We had to sub the keeper plus make two attacking substitutions and won the game.

That justifies the decisions.

I expect there is another explanation. 

He was in the huff apparently

14 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

Boydie only coached the Killie youth for the required number of hours in order to achieve his coaching qualifications. He has certainly not coached any Killie youth age groups over the past 3 seasons.

You'd think he coached the kids on his own given how folk on here go on about his coaching ability!

7 hours ago, Pompey Exile said:

Could he coach with us but play for a lower team? Might suit both parties

I'd imagine he'll be too busy with his media, mental health foundation & newly launched soccer school duties to have the time, especially if he opts to play on next season.....

A no from me.

Edited by C4mmy31