Wimmin's fitba...

VAR is a pile of crap and these new handball rules are even worse. I’m in favour of goal line technology as that’s black and white. If it’s a matter of opinion the referee and assistants should make the decisions in real time as they see it. There are going to be far too many penalties next year. 

34 minutes ago, Lroy said:

I'm disappointed. I had DrewWylie as starting this thread in the sweep on the secret mod forum.

Canny be much of a sweep with just you n CBGB putting in 10 bob each, whoever wins don't let them spend it all in the one shop.

DW will not be watching anyway, heard he likes the company of men!

:7:

Womens WC has had a reasonably exciting start from the bits seen so far........

Think there is going to be an increase in penalties next season along with number of falsely celebrated "ruled out" goals ,  with EPL now joining other leagues and having VAR 

Though without the assistance of VAR , it's going to be interesting to see how some referees in Scotland interpret this new hand ball rule from next season........

5 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Womens WC has had a reasonably exciting start from the bits seen so far........

Think there is going to be an increase in penalties next season along with number of falsely celebrated "ruled out" goals ,  with EPL now joining other leagues and having VAR 

Though without the assistance of VAR , it's going to be interesting to see how some referees in Scotland interpret this new hand ball rule from next season........

No it isn't, every time Celtic or Rangers smash the ball anywhere near an opponents hand will be penalised,  and completely the opposite will occur in the reverse situation. 

Same old bias and same old decisions only more frequently.

1 hour ago, theauldyin said:

Sorry but watched the first 40mins, really poor standard.

It isn't the same as the men's game but as long as I see two teams trying to play football I'm willing to overlook the deficiencies. A lot of games under Johnston, Clark, and McCulloch were worse than today's game. 

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

No point mate FIFA have decided to utterly ruin the game with this new handball rule.

IMO it's not a penalty unless the defender moves their hand int the path of the ball. Biggar this un-natural position crap. The defenders arm has to be somewhere and if the attacker cant steer the ball around it that is just incompetence. Imo attached to the defenders shoulder is not un natural, an it is only a foul if the defender moves their arm towards the ball. It is only illegal to play the ball with your hand not if the ball hits it.

You know it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

It isn't the same as the men's game but as long as I see two teams trying to play football I'm willing to overlook the deficiencies. A lot of games under Johnston, Clark, and McCulloch were worse than today's game. 

This!

14 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Bugger this un-natural position crap. The defenders arm has to be somewhere and if the attacker cant steer the ball around it that is just incompetence. Imo attached to the defenders shoulder is not un natural....

The law says nothing about “unnatural position”.

Edited by skygod

Toni Duggan: ‘I believe we should be better paid, but not the same as the men’

Suzanne Wrack

Striker wants better facilities and better crowds for women’s football but does not think England’s Lionesses should earn the same as their male counterparts

On the eve of the World Cup, Toni Duggan is keen to talk about equality. “I don’t want to just start with money – we need pitches, facilities,” the England forward says. “We played at the Wanda [Metropolitano], which was amazing, but then the next week they’re creating a penalty spot 10 minutes before the games start. Equality for me is having a pitch to play on and hot showers in the changing rooms, before we talk about the money we get.”

With the USA women’s national team’s lawsuit, filed in March, against US Soccer alleging “institutionalised gender discrimination” ongoing and calls from Professional Footballers Australia to close the $370m (£292m) gap in the World Cup prize fund, equality is a hot topic.

“I have a strong opinion on it,” Duggan says of the battle in the US, “and I believe they should be doing it because they’re more successful than their men’s team.” But her views on the disparity in England are very different. “Should we be doing it? No. Because we don’t bring in the money that the men do – we’re not as successful as them yet. They bring in a lot more money than us commercially and are more successful. When people ask me: ‘Should I earn the same money as the men?’ No, I don’t believe I should because they’re on a bigger scale than me, they have more fans, are more popular. I believe the girls should be better paid but not the same as the men.”

The 27-year-old has just finished her second season with Barcelona which culminated in a 4-1 defeat by Lyon in the Spanish side’s first Champions League final. The game at the Wanda Metropolitano she refers to, a 2-0 win against Atlético Madrid in March, attracted a league‑record crowd of 60,739. For Duggan, who scored in that victory, it was the quality of the attendance, not the quantity, that was key.

“There’s a picture of me celebrating and behind me there’s actually a man putting one finger up,” she recalls. “I’m not promoting that or saying it’s a good thing but it kind of showed what it meant. You could feel the passion in the stadium that day. It was a real atmosphere, it was a massive game and it was only a league game.

“In England, I think we get about 30,000 for maybe an FA Cup final and there are lots of kids on the seats, which is nice don’t get me wrong, but it’s a calm atmosphere.”

In contrast the game at the Metropolitano felt like a “proper game”. “The fans really wanted to be there for their team – the Atlético supporters were giving us stick, they were booing us, there were flares. I’m not encouraging all of it – there are some things in the men’s game we don’t want – but I’m just saying it felt like a proper atmosphere.

“Sometimes we can give away free tickets and get 20,000 but 10,000 are free. But at the Wanda those people had bought those tickets, they were diehard Atlético Madrid fans and were there to see their team win and that’s the difference between England and Spain for me. Sometimes [in Spain] you can go to stadiums and there are 2,000 people there but it feels like it’s 10,000.”

Duggan adds by way of explanation: “In Spain there’s a lot more publicity … when we’re successful we’re front page of the newspaper – every newspaper and the big ones, Marca and others – but then also when we lose we’re slated. That’s the level the game is at. It’s the same as the men’s – that’s how we’re treated there.”

She says she is not calling for constant criticism from the media but that there is an appeal to being held to the same standards as the men. “In the past we might have lost a game and you get fans messaging you saying: ‘Ah, don’t worry, you’ve done so well,’ and it can be a bit patronising, do you know what I mean? We’ve actually played badly and people are saying: ‘Ah, we’re so proud.’ Is it just because we’re the women’s team? Is it just because we’re girls? If that was the men you wouldn’t be saying that.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/05/toni-duggan-equality-footballl-england-barcelona-womens-world-cup

first time I’ve read an article on woman’s football and found myself in complete agreement. 

@Bobby14 it will be interesting to see the analysis of today’s game in tomorrow’s papers. This team are history makers and deserve respect for that but the last paragraph of that article is very relevant. There were issues and mistakes at times. Will they be highlighted or will it be well done next. 

Women’s football is absolutely gash and won’t improve significantly until girls start playing with boys, right through the age groups into adulthood.

Equal pay for equal ability. Piggybacking off the men’s game and expecting parity in wages and sponsorship, while competing at a much lower standard is unrealistic. 

12 hours ago, Silent Bob said:

Well actually it is, it’s exactly the same.

It is the same game but played at a different level. You have to make allowances just as you would when you watch a lower league or junior game. At least both teams were trying to play football yesterday unlike a lot of Scottish Championship (and some Premiership) games I've watched where blootering high balls at the opposition was the sole tactic.