Wimmin's fitba...

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

It is the same game but played at a different level. You have to make allowances just as you would when you watch a lower league or junior game. At least both teams were trying to play football yesterday unlike a lot of Scottish Championship (and some Premiership) games I've watched where blootering high balls at the opposition was the sole tactic. 

It’s easy to play football with time and space. The lack of pressure put on the ball and the comedic tackling make it much easier to get the ball down and knock it about. 

1 hour ago, piffer said:

What’s the script with the Norwegian girl not playing. She’s supposed to be among the best in the world but hasn’t played for her country for two years in protest. 

It can’t be money because Norway bizarrely pay their woman’s national team the same as the men. If I had to guess it would be she doesn’t think she looks good in red, the cut of the shorts make her bum look big or she doesn’t want to go to a major event wearing the same outfit as the other girls. Either that or she’s got an overinflated opinion of her own ability. 

4 minutes ago, Zorro said:

It’s easy to play football with time and space. The lack of pressure put on the ball and the comedic tackling make it much easier to get the ball down and knock it about. 

It can’t be money because Norway bizarrely pay their woman’s national team the same as the men. If I had to guess it would be she doesn’t think she looks good in red, the cut of the shorts make her bum look big or she doesn’t want to go to a major event wearing the same outfit as the other girls. Either that or she’s got an overinflated opinion of her own ability. 

Big supporter of the women's game I see. 

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I'm not a great fan of women's football but, if I was, it would be because of the absence of frantic closing down and hefty tackling.

For reasons of physicality, women's football has the opportunity to be a more skilful and attractive game than the men's.

They need to capitalise on that and improve the skills level rather than trying to ape, if you will pardon the expression, the men's game.

Edited by skygod

3 hours ago, skygod said:

I'm not a great fan of women's football but, if I was, it would be because of the absence of frantic closing down and hefty tackling.

For reasons of physicality, women's football has the opportunity to be a more skilful and attractive game than the men's.

They need to capitalise on that and improve the skills level rather than trying to ape, if you will pardon the pun, the men's game.

Aah so many cliches in your comparison between the men’s and women’s game.

Oh how those dainty wee ladies must thank their lucky stars they’re not up against hulking brutes like Messi, Iniesta and Sterling. Or face crunching tackles from the likes of Salah, Mane and Neymar. Ronaldo must curse his luck that he had to practice his skills until they became second nature, when being born with a vagina would have let him achieve so much more. 

Many things in life are subjective, but the idea women’s football is more skilled and attractive is bonkers. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Bigger supporter of people being judged on their ability rather than their genitalia tbh. 

There is ability in the women's game, if you had watched Erin Cuthbert against Switzerland you couldn't deny her footballing ability. It is a lower standard, but so is a lot of football in Scotland. They have achieved something that our men have failed to do for over twenty years despite a harder qualification programme. If girls are encouraged by our women's team to play football it should be supported. 

11 hours ago, Zorro said:

Women’s football is absolutely gash and won’t improve significantly until girls start playing with boys, right through the age groups into adulthood.

Equal pay for equal ability. Piggybacking off the men’s game and expecting parity in wages and sponsorship, while competing at a much lower standard is unrealistic. 

Actually agree with most of that, with the exception of the first line.

And having a 9 year old daughter playing with a team it's encouraging to now see as many girls as boys out playing every week.

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

There is ability in the women's game, if you had watched Erin Cuthbert against Switzerland you couldn't deny her footballing ability. It is a lower standard, but so is a lot of football in Scotland. They have achieved something that our men have failed to do for over twenty years despite a harder qualification programme. If girls are encouraged by our women's team to play football it should be supported. 

Harder qualification programme? Behave. There wasn’t a single team in their group who’d compete against any of the 211 men’s international sides. Their achievement in reaching the World Cup is no more remarkable than Hearts reaching the Scottish cup final. 

If you watch youth football in Scotland you’ll also see boys displaying more ability than Cuthbert did against Switzerland. That’s not a slight against Cuthbert’s ability, it’s an indication of the level they respectively compete at. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the better women’s teams come from the more socially progressive countries. In a lot of places I suspect there’d still be a real stigma attached to girls pulling on football boots and that would assist small progressive countries like Scotland in qualifying for “major” tournaments. That said, until they’re competing with men, they’ll always be considered second-rate or a novelty act. 

Edited by Zorro

15 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Actually agree with most of that, with the exception of the first line.

And having a 9 year old daughter playing with a team it's encouraging to now see as many girls as boys out playing every week.

It’s fantastic more girls are taking up the sport, but you only get better playing better players. The top female players are very happy being the big fish in the wee pond. Their lawyers are even happier they can play the discrimination card on wages etc. The only appetite the ladies have for equality is in Pounds, euros and dollars. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Harder qualification programme? Behave. There wasn’t a single team in their group who’d compete against any of the 211 men’s international sides. Their achievement in reaching the World Cup is no more remarkable than Hearts reaching the Scottish cup final. 

If you watch youth football in Scotland you’ll also see boys displaying more ability than Cuthbert did against Switzerland. That’s not a slight against Cuthbert’s ability, it’s an indication of the level they respectively compete at. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the better women’s teams come from the more socially progressive countries. In a lot of places I suspect there’d still be a real stigma attached to girls pulling on football boots and that would assist small progressive countries like Scotland in qualifying for “major” tournaments. That said, until they’re competing with men, they’ll always be considered second-rate or a novelty act. 

Women will never be able to compete with men at an athletic sport like football, bizarre to even consider it a possibility. 

7 hours ago, Fankle said:

Women will never be able to compete with men at an athletic sport like football, bizarre to even consider it a possibility. 

They used to say women would never be able to compete with men academically too. Look where we are now. There’s nothing physiologically stopping women from competing with men. Messi disproves any suggestions that you need to be a hulking brute to play football. Just like male players women come in all shapes and sizes. And just like some females, there’s men with small feet so they can stand closer to the cooker. It’s not the 1930’s anymore. Don’t put a cap on potential because of gender stereotyping. 

27 minutes ago, Zorro said:

There’s nothing physiologically stopping women from competing with men.

...apart from their physiology. I usually don't drag myself in to these senseless little bickers here but if this is the foundation of your belief/trolling/whatever the hell your up to, then you've just shown you don't actually know what you're talking about. Not my opinion, and not something you can actually have an opinion on, science fact. (That's more powerful that saying FACT in all capitals by the way.) I can point you to several scientific papers if you need to read up on it. You can have opinions on whether women should be paid the same as men or if their sports should get the same exposure as men, but your argument does not have its roots based in reality.

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

They used to say women would never be able to compete with men academically too. Look where we are now. There’s nothing physiologically stopping women from competing with men. Messi disproves any suggestions that you need to be a hulking brute to play football. Just like male players women come in all shapes and sizes. And just like some females, there’s men with small feet so they can stand closer to the cooker. It’s not the 1930’s anymore. Don’t put a cap on potential because of gender stereotyping. 

If that's so why are women nowhere near able to compete with men at establish sports like athletics, tennis or golf?

Messi may be small in stature but his aerobic ability and athleticism is far superior to that of any female footballer.

We all have opinions, but I also think we woumd all agree that the women played poorly after the first 5 minutes until the second disallowed England goal, after which they not only could peted but caused the English problems.

There were fundamental errors made in the game, the forward Emslie was way too greedy and looked to shoot rather then pass every time which possibly cost us a good few opportunities.  The English are more advanced in this respect because they are better players mentally.

The tracking was weak and in this respect similar to the boys game.

However Kim little, Cuthbert and caroline weir looked every bit as able if not better than their opponents.  By and large Scotland women's team have three or four proper top notch players, and the test are just a little below that level.

However the mistakes made if rectified could see this team do something no senior football team has ever done, Male or female, and qualify for the best round.

Just now, Fankle said:

If that's so why are women nowhere near able to compete with men at establish sports like athletics, tennis or golf?

Messi may be small in stature but his aerobic ability and athleticism is far superior to that of any female footballer.

They cannot compete physically on speed, distance, power in any of those sports at the top level.   But the top women would annihilate almost every man in all those sports below the top level.  This proves sod all. 

We need to stop comparing their games to the mens games and enjoy their games for the differences, as well as the skill, ability and passion shown.

38 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

They cannot compete physically on speed, distance, power in any of those sports at the top level.   But the top women would annihilate almost every man in all those sports below the top level.  This proves sod all. 

How far down are you going? The top women tennis players would be unlikely to beat any man within the top 1000, the men's mile record is almost half a minute faster than the women's. 

But I do agree with you we shouldn't be comparing women's and men's football like for like.  We should appreciate that they are competing at the top level of their sport and enjoy the games.

51 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

We all have opinions, but I also think we woumd all agree that the women played poorly after the first 5 minutes until the second disallowed England goal, after which they not only could peted but caused the English problems.

There were fundamental errors made in the game, the forward Emslie was way too greedy and looked to shoot rather then pass every time which possibly cost us a good few opportunities.  The English are more advanced in this respect because they are better players mentally.

The tracking was weak and in this respect similar to the boys game.

However Kim little, Cuthbert and caroline weir looked every bit as able if not better than their opponents.  By and large Scotland women's team have three or four proper top notch players, and the test are just a little below that level.

However the mistakes made if rectified could see this team do something no senior football team has ever done, Male or female, and qualify for the best round.

Hopefully the next couple of games will see us deploy more attacking options like Jane Ross and Fiona Brown.  On last night's evidence both Japan and Argentina are weaker than England and can be got at.

1 hour ago, Fankle said:

They can’t compete because they’re not used to competing at that level. If you took two boys with identical ability at four years old, put one through the usual boys pathway and the other through the girls one, the one in the boys system would progress quicker and be capable of playing at a higher level. 

2 hours ago, Lroy said:

...apart from their physiology. I usually don't drag myself in to these senseless little bickers here but if this is the foundation of your belief/trolling/whatever the hell your up to, then you've just shown you don't actually know what you're talking about. Not my opinion, and not something you can actually have an opinion on, science fact. (That's more powerful that saying FACT in all capitals by the way.) I can point you to several scientific papers if you need to read up on it. You can have opinions on whether women should be paid the same as men or if their sports should get the same exposure as men, but your argument does not have its roots based in reality.

Can you link to these articles please?