Wimmin's fitba...

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Bollocks. The female pelvis gives them a significant advantage in mobility and flexibility. These attributes are what separate your Neymars from your Ted McMinns. 

There's no need to be rude, because I provided an alternative viewpoint to your narrative. Check out the research into it.  I'm well aware gender is a social construct, because it's perception is fluid and sex is a biological and scientific fact. 

The women's game has come a long way in the last 20 years or so, and given the SFA's complete lack of support historically I think it would be great to be a bit more inclusive and start offering opportunities to some of the best players popping up in teams across the league. 

Is there an actual rule preventing it?  I cant find a straight yes or no answer. I remember Perugia tried to sign Mia Hamm  and the top Norwegian Striker at some point years ago

Given a choice, a lot of players may prefer to stay in the womens game but I bet some of the really driven ones would make starting elevens in Scotland.

Would Erin Cuthbert (and maybe 3 or 4 others in the Scotland squad) be a stand out star in the mens game?...I dont think so.

Could she contribute to a squad and make a living as a professional footballer in the SPFL? I think she probably could

I await ridicule....but I think its an opportunity that Scotland should look to take before somewhere like the MLS does and gets loads of positive coverage and sponsorship as a result.

Also, final point - a lot of people seem to have commented based on watching the Scotland-England game.

If you watch the Germans, Americans, French and Japanese there's some real technique there all the way across the squad, rather than having a few standout players.  Equally, there are teams like Thailand that just shouldn't be there - but thats the reality of developing and supporting womens football globally at the moment. 

Been following Women's Football since Julie Fleeting was at Arsenal and then in the USA , She (Fleeting) Was a big talent , Top player and Scotland's greatest goal scorer. At the time Germany , Sweden And Norway dominated the European National game and England were pretty poor and Scotland were no where, USA were pretty much the World's top side . In recent years Japan have become stronger and won the World Cup not so long ago and in Europe Holland won the Euro's , The domestic Leagues are becoming stronger and now big clubs are investing money and facilities into their Women's Clubs. The guy's slagging off the quality on here should remember these girls/women have only been professional for a short time and Tournaments  have not been competitive until the final stages were the bigger Teams play one another.

Scotland does not have a Pro League and is a Looooooog way away from having one, Our top players do play abroad , But are very highly thought of, But they need bigger numbers to continue to evolve.

The will to play has always been there and should be encouraged , Now the quality is improving as is the coaching and media coverage. Show more encouragement rather than the usual MAN is best attitude , Think before you comment. Lets not return to the dark ages , That has already held back Women's football for to long.

I would rather watch Kim Little , Than Scott Brown.

1 minute ago, Killiepies said:

I see we are following the men's example .1st available flight back home pre booked 

As long as there are no trouncings, and we take 3 points against Argentina, we should be one of the 3rd place lucky losers.

21 hours ago, dasboag said:

I think it would be great to be a bit more inclusive and start offering opportunities to some of the best players popping up in teams across the league. Is there an actual rule preventing it?  I cant find a straight yes or no answer. I remember Perugia tried to sign Mia Hamm  and the top Norwegian Striker at some point years ago

Given a choice, a lot of players may prefer to stay in the womens game but I bet some of the really driven ones would make starting elevens in Scotland.

You're asking if woman are allowed to play in the men's professional game?

Above a certain age limit, which varies from country to country but is usually in the mid- to late-teens, men's and women's football is organised separately.

Edited by skygod

5 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

Been following Women's Football since Julie Fleeting was at Arsenal and then in the USA , She (Fleeting) Was a big talent , Top player and Scotland's greatest goal scorer. At the time Germany , Sweden And Norway dominated the European National game and England were pretty poor and Scotland were no where, USA were pretty much the World's top side . In recent years Japan have become stronger and won the World Cup not so long ago and in Europe Holland won the Euro's , The domestic Leagues are becoming stronger and now big clubs are investing money and facilities into their Women's Clubs. The guy's slagging off the quality on here should remember these girls/women have only been professional for a short time and Tournaments  have not been competitive until the final stages were the bigger Teams play one another.

Scotland does not have a Pro League and is a Looooooog way away from having one, Our top players do play abroad , But are very highly thought of, But they need bigger numbers to continue to evolve.

The will to play has always been there and should be encouraged , Now the quality is improving as is the coaching and media coverage. Show more encouragement rather than the usual MAN is best attitude , Think before you comment. Lets not return to the dark ages , That has already held back Women's football for to long.

I would rather watch Kim Little , Than Scott Brown.

Those deriding the quality of women’s football should watch footage of the men’s game from the fifties or sixties. It’s dreadful in comparison to today’s game.

16 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Those deriding the quality of women’s football should watch footage of the men’s game from the fifties or sixties. It’s dreadful in comparison to today’s game.

And despite playing in hobnail boots, knitted jerseys, footballs that weighed more than a small child, and pitches that looked like they’d been ploughed before kickoff,  they’d still beat our women’s national team.

There’s also the small matter of WWII’s impact on player development. Being machine gunned as you come off a landing craft tends to stifle your ability. Dead coaches probably won’t do the best training sessions. Food rationing and the lack of fresh produce hinder physical development. Twelve hour shifts down the pit probably wouldn’t be considered optimal pre-match preparation. 

Women today have access to the best equipment, the best coaches, the best sports science and nutritional advice and the best facilities. They’ve accessed this without having to go through the growing pains the men’s game did, and they still moan it’s not fair. 

Unfortunately the refs are still as s**t, and favour the bigger teams as they do in the mens game.

Scotland lose a penalty which is a blatant dive by the Japanese forward, and denied one of the most blatant hand balls you'll see in this tournament.

No use of VAR, no referral, nothing.  Abysmal.  Yet VAR was all over the England game again.   Was it even turned on for the Scotland Japan game.

Edited by Beaker71

10 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Unfortunately the refs are still as s**t, and favour the bigger teams as they do in the mens game.

Scotland lose a penalty which is a blatant dive by the Japanese forward, and denied one of the most blatant hand balls you'll see in this tournament.

No use of VAR, no referral, nothing.  Abysmal.  Yet VAR was all over the England game again.   Was it even turned on for the Scotland Japan game.

You run out of tinfoil again?

I though Shelly Kerr got the tactics wrong yesterday. It's alright playing the ball around the defence if your players are comfortable with it but our defenders were just playing themselves into trouble and Japan could press and cause mistakes. Japan looked panicky when they were attacked but Scotland just kept retreating in the first half. Left it too late again to attack but no idea why VAR didn't see the handball. The officials were poor, referee kept getting in the way of the ball and assistant on the far side needs an eye examination. Japan were the better side but we let them dominate when their confidence was low. Argentina will not be easy to beat despite their lowly World ranking. 

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Stop being a knob, the referee was honking clear mistakes all over the place.

Stop being such a paranoid mess. VAR is running checks all the time in real-time. Just because the decisions didn’t go our way, doesn’t mean they weren’t looked at. As things are, I can understand why both decisions went against us. No conspiracy. No grand plan to favour the big guns. Just unlucky on the day. Other officials might have seen things differently. 

33 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Stop being such a paranoid mess. VAR is running checks all the time in real-time. Just because the decisions didn’t go our way, doesn’t mean they weren’t looked at. As things are, I can understand why both decisions went against us. No conspiracy. No grand plan to favour the big guns. Just unlucky on the day. Other officials might have seen things differently. 

Don't talk pish man, the wee Japanese player not only hit the ball with her arm, but moved it towards the ball deliberately.  That's a penalty with the previous law, let alone the new one.

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Don't talk pish man, the wee Japanese player not only hit the ball with her arm, but moved it towards the ball deliberately.  That's a penalty with the previous law, let alone the new one.

I think you’re seeing what you want to see mate. The Japanese girl was far too close when the ball was flicked on for it ever to be considered handball. If you’re giving penalties for that, you’re going to have everyone trying to hit defenders arms with the ball anytime they get in the box. The game would become a farce. If you want to point fingers at folk for yesterday’s loss, try the keeper for the first goal and the centre back pairing for the second. 

Edited by Zorro

5 hours ago, Zorro said:

I think you’re seeing what you want to see mate. The Japanese girl was far too close when the ball was flicked on for it ever to be considered handball. If you’re giving penalties for that, you’re going to have everyone trying to hit defenders arms with the ball anytime they get in the box. The game would become a farce. If you want to point fingers at folk for yesterday’s loss, try the keeper for the first goal and the centre back pairing for the second. 

Mate your the only one bar the referee who didn't think that was a penalty.  Blatant movement of hand to ball, clear penalty all day long.  Certainly clearer then the one given in the first game against us.

5 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Mate your the only one bar the referee who didn't think that was a penalty.  Blatant movement of hand to ball, clear penalty all day long.  Certainly clearer then the one given in the first game against us.

Do you mean apart from the qualified referee, the qualified assistant referees and the qualified match officials looking at all the available camera angles? Is that what you mean by the only one? 

Edited by Zorro

10 hours ago, Zorro said:

Do you mean apart from the qualified referee, the qualified assistant referees and the qualified match officials looking at all the available camera angles? Is that what you mean by the only one? 

They and you are wrong  but as usual you cannot admit it.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

They and you are wrong  but as usual you cannot admit it.

The people who’ve been trained to interpret and implement the new rules, without favour or bias, got it wrong, but the tinfoil hat wearing, Scotland cheerleader called it right? Aye ok, seems likely. 

Maybe fifa should get you to ref all Scotland’s games. We could be back playing in major tournaments in two shakes of a lambs tail. 

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

The people who’ve been trained to interpret and implement the new rules, without favour or bias, got it wrong, but the tinfoil hat wearing, Scotland cheerleader called it right? Aye ok, seems likely. 

Maybe fifa should get you to ref all Scotland’s games. We could be back playing in major tournaments in two shakes of a lambs tail. 

Maybe you should grow up a bit and learn that it is possible for you to be wrong, especially when unilaterally barring said officials and you, theres been agreement that it was a penalty.

Ffs beligerance in the face of almost total disagreement doesn't make you look stronger, it makes you look daft.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Maybe you should grow up a bit and learn that it is possible for you to be wrong, especially when unilaterally barring said officials and you, theres been agreement that it was a penalty.

Ffs beligerance in the face of almost total disagreement doesn't make you look stronger, it makes you look daft.

Perhaps old age has made you senile grandad, but I think it’s more likely the REAL experts got it right, rather than some daft burds sitting in a tv studio and an old man in a tinfoil hat. 

If I want my car fixed I’d go to a mechanic, if my heating isn’t working I trust a plumber to sort it, if I want an unbiased decision in a football match you’d be the last person I’d call. You seem unable to differentiate between objective and objectionable(you’re the second one btw), never mind keep up with changes to the laws/ rules of the game. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Perhaps old age has made you senile grandad, but I think it’s more likely the REAL experts got it right, rather than some daft burds sitting in a tv studio and an old man in a tinfoil hat. 

If I want my car fixed I’d go to a mechanic, if my heating isn’t working I trust a plumber to sort it, if I want an unbiased decision in a football match you’d be the last person I’d call. You seem unable to differentiate between objective and objectionable(you’re the second one btw), never mind keep up with changes to the laws/ rules of the game. 

Yes, the VAR officials never make mistakes, except they do. USA just scored a goal from a corner that should never have been given. They can take a look at the previous play leading up to the goal and have done in the past but not in this occasion. 

3 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Yes, the VAR officials never make mistakes, except they do. USA just scored a goal from a corner that should never have been given. They can take a look at the previous play leading up to the goal and have done in the past but not in this occasion. 

VAR isn’t used to decide corner or goal kick, which team gets the throw in, or any of the other trivial decisions. Here’s a handy cutout and keep guide for you - 

There are 4 categories of decisions that can be reviewed:

Goal/no goal – attacking team offences, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks

Penalty/no penalty – attacking team offences, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised

Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures

Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card

So in the instance you’ve given, if the cross from the Yankee burd hadn’t been blocked and resulted in a goal, it would have been chalked off by the VAR officials. However once the corner has been awarded and taken, play has entered a new phase and whether the corner was awarded correctly becomes irrelevant.