Shankland

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Is this an indication of how much better united have got or how s**t Hearts have become?

Would love it to be the latter.

Can you remember our first game in the cup last season? The answer to your question can be found there. 

Can’t make up my mind about Shankland. He showed good movement to lose his marker at the goal and it was a composed finish, but it was laid on a plate for him. The rest of the time he was either anonymous or offside. Appeared to struggle with his fitness as the game wore on, but it’s still early in the season. Would it improve or would the intensity required to play at higher level take its toll, who knows? 

1 hour ago, piffer said:

One chance one goal which is always decent. Did he actually touch the ball aside from that. Wasn’t impressive at all. 

What else did gerd muller do, or Boydie when he was younger?

But that's in division 1 against a hearts team most likely in preseason mode.

For me like Z the jury is very much still put on this guy  he could be another el bakhtoui,  looks great in the lower leagues but utterly out of his depth at a higher standard.

Edited by Beaker71

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Killiepies said:

Scored 4 today ,3 with his head .Signing of the season for Utd and his goals will win them the league .

Good on him.

I heard Gary Naysmith say that he tried to sign Shankland on loan for East Fife and Derek McInnes told him he was the best natural finisher at Aberdeen at that time but there was always a question about his fitness and attitude. Not any more.

12 minutes ago, Pompey Exile said:

If the eye watering sums they're paying are true not many clubs including us could have afforded him anyway

How could we not? 3k a week for a player that could be worth millions plus the difference in league placings, the fact we'll probably spend that on a couple of duds anyway. Could easily justify that. Having him against CQN would have paid for himself 

Edited by Killie lad

21 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

How could we not? 3k a week for a player that could be worth millions plus the difference in league placings, the fact we'll probably spend that on a couple of duds anyway. Could easily justify that. Having him against CQN would have paid for himself 

Word was he got a 100k sign on fee

10 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Word was he got a 100k sign on fee

We would have got 500k for progressing, say his wages are 3k p/w plus 100k, that's 244k, we had a great chance to take a bit of a risk and bring in some quality and it's gone. 

Even if you take the euro money out of the equation, the unexpected prize money from last year is about £1m more than we probably budgeted for/ expected. We gave clarke a pay rise (which he 100% deserved) however if we can't afford to pay money out for quality players then we shouldn't have been giving a pay rise that we can't afford either. 

Edited by Killie lad

5 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

We would have got 500k for progressing, say his wages are 3k p/w plus 100k, that's 244k we had a great chance to take a bit of a risk and bring in some quality and it's gone. 

And what about the players who got us into Europe in the first place? How do you think they’d feel at a lower league player being brought in on two, three or four times their wages? What do you think that would do to squad harmony?

We’re not the type of club who can afford to go around tearing up the wage structure because someone has been able to score against the Dunfermlines and Mortons of this world. 

43 minutes ago, Zorro said:

And what about the players who got us into Europe in the first place? How do you think they’d feel at a lower league player being brought in on two, three or four times their wages? What do you think that would do to squad harmony?

We’re not the type of club who can afford to go around tearing up the wage structure because someone has been able to score against the Dunfermlines and Mortons of this world. 

Half the teams in the league are barely any better than championship standard. He would score a barrelload against the accies, st mirren, St J, Ross county's, I like brophy, but he sure as hell wouldn't get even close to what shankland has scored in that league.  As for the players getting a pay rise, eh why not if we think they are worth it and are willing to extend their contracts? You could argue why did Clarke get a pay rise and not the players. As for morale, yep that cqn defeat was really a lot better for the ol' morale than signing a proven goalscorer that would have got us into the next round. 

Edited by Killie lad

1 minute ago, Killiepies said:

How much is he worth now ? It would take far more than £100k to get him from Utd .Better spending a £100k on a young player who if shows any talent will go for a lot more than that 

I agree - but...

The same was said about El Bahkoui a few years ago and he turned out to be absolutely useless at a level above. So it's a big risk. 

And there's something I don't quite understand about Shankland... Hearts crying out for a striker didn't make a bid. Hibs who have the cash didn't bid. None of the top flight sides bid... But Portsmouth and Sunderland did. I'm convinced there's either a big doubt in the scouting or something funny financially going on with that United deal. 

3 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

How much is he worth now ? It would take far more than £100k to get him from Utd .Better spending a £100k on a young player who if shows any talent will go for a lot more than that 

Absolutely, 100k is essentially the transfer fee. Hardly risking going out of business for that is it? We paid half of that plus a sell on for brophy when he was a reserve at Hamilton. 

22 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Absolutely, 100k is essentially the transfer fee. Hardly risking going out of business for that is it? We paid half of that plus a sell on for brophy when he was a reserve at Hamilton. 

Exactly. Part of our business model has to be buying lower league players, developing and selling. It’s will benefit from his signing - short term with his goals - and longer term with his transfer fee. Not many like him. Was saying this a couple of months back. I’d even have sold brophy - if the stories of interest were true - to help finance this. Hard running strikers are easier to replace than natural goal scorers. 

57 minutes ago, Killie lad said:

Half the teams in the league are barely any better than championship standard. He would score a barrelload against the accies, st mirren, St J, Ross county's, I like brophy, but he sure as hell wouldn't get even close to what shankland has scored in that league.  As for the players getting a pay rise, eh why not if we think they are worth it and are willing to extend their contracts? You could argue why did Clarke get a pay rise and not the players. As for morale, yep that cqn defeat was really a lot better for the ol' morale than signing a proven goalscorer that would have got us into the next round. 

Half the teams in the championship are barely any better than first Division teams so there’s no evidence he’d replicate that form against premier league teams. I’ll stick with unproven at our level  

However, that wasn’t my point. My point was, is it worth upsetting everyone else in the squad; players who’d regularly beaten Celtic and Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and should’ve been good enough to beat CQN, to bring in an unproven striker on significantly more money than they were getting?

Against CQN it looked like our players had downed tools because they weren’t happy about something. Paying a lower league player three times more than them wouldn’t have helped. If anything it would’ve made it worse. 

Pay rises for everyone? Where are you getting the money from? We’re not exactly renowned for posting huge profits. 

40 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

He’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay to buy out his contract. Despite what Jobbie McCall and the players agent would have you believe, teams weren’t exactly queuing around the block to sign him.

United had to push out the boat to appease their fans after their playoff shambles. They’d be happy paying well over the odds to gazump any other potential buyers. For £3k a week and a £100k signing on bonus, I’d be looking for better quality than Shankland. 

35 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Half the teams in the championship are barely any better than first Division teams so there’s no evidence he’d replicate that form against premier league teams. I’ll stick with unproven at our level  

However, that wasn’t my point. My point was, is it worth upsetting everyone else in the squad; players who’d regularly beaten Celtic and Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and should’ve been good enough to beat CQN, to bring in an unproven striker on significantly more money than they were getting?

Against CQN it looked like our players had downed tools because they weren’t happy about something. Paying a lower league player three times more than them wouldn’t have helped. If anything it would’ve made it worse. 

Pay rises for everyone? Where are you getting the money from? We’re not exactly renowned for posting huge profits. 

The players downed tools? Weren't you saying it was the fans' fault we couldn't beat the farmers?  The fact is we missed 3 or 4 golden chances against them.

I didn't say EVERY player, in fact I specifically said if we think they are worth it, eg especially hard players to replace that we rate at millions like Findlay, Taylor, Brophy, SOD, Power. If they were running out of contract and we didn't make them a particularly good offer I'd be pretty pissed off. 

Bear in mind Hibs paid £250k for doige at probably the same wage as shankland, want to tell us who we could get for 100k that is better than him? 

Edited by Killie lad

1 minute ago, Killie lad said:

The players downed tools? Weren't you saying it was the fans' fault we couldn't beat the farmers?  The fact is we missed 3 or 4 golden chances against them.

I didn't say EVERY player, in fact I specifically said if we think they are worth it, eg especially hard players to replace that we rate at millions like Findlay, Taylor, Brophy, SOD, Power. If they were running out of contract and we didn't make them a particularly good offer I'd be pretty pissed off. 

You still haven’t said where this fantasy money is coming from. It would be fantastic if we could afford eleven £3k a week players but by my reckoning that’s £1.7 million p.a, before bonuses. That doesn’t leave much of our turnover for managers, coaches, subs, reserves, youth teams, administrative staff, ground staff, shop staff...

And even if we did have that kind of money, there’s still better quality than Shankland available in that wage band.