Addio Alessio

the doomed

55 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Absolutely never saw it coming.

We had played Rangers in the League Cup in the midweek prior to the Hearts game and played the Huns off the park but just couldn’t score. The combination of Taouil, Bryson, Kelly and Eremenko in midfield along with Gordon’s athleticism made it obvious that we wouldn’t be bottom for long. 

I was convinced we’d win by a distance at Tynecastle! The final piece of the jigsaw was when Mixu hooked Rui Miguel after 30 mins and replaced him with the super confident Fish!

Think Mixu's time is possibly still the best comparison at this stage, as a manager who came in and changed the style of play, with it taking a bit of time to get just the right players and blend (Eremenko etc) and when it clicked it really clicked. There are some caveats to it however.

Mixu already knew the Scottish game inside out, having spent the vast majority of his playing career here with Utd, Aberdeen, Hibs, St.Mirren and St.Johnstone. He had also had a pretty successful stint as Hibs manager. Therefore he knew what might work in the SPL. He had a pretty extensive and impressive list of contacts (which admittedly AA may yet also have), allowing him to bring in Eremenko, Dayton, Sissoko and Gordon, all players who improved the team. We also entered his first season with low expectations as we had just escaped relegation on the final day of the previous season.

This time around we left last season on a major high, best points total, best League placing for 53 years etc, albeit with the bittersweet departure of SC.

With expectations significantly raised and the bar set much higher than it was for Mixu, we had all hoped and expected to hit the ground running and at least be comfortably into the game v Partizan and probably having a few exciting signings by now.

Some of the issues over the summer, involving the ticket arrangements for Rhyl, the new season ticketing system, the late arrival of new strips etc, are all things which are out of AAs hands but wasn't the best atmosphere for any new man to come into. Of course had we won through last Thursday night most of these would have vanished, and we would be looking forward to a good turnout this Thursday instead.

How much input AA had into arranging friendlies etc we dont know. What kind of signings are being worked on behind the scenes we dont really know either.

So...more pressure for AA right away, and he might with successful recruitment turn out to be a success yet, or he might not. The next couple of weeks will still be significant in who he can bring in. On the issue of contacts he might have, would still expect someone with the level he has worked at before to be able to find some decent players though.

AA’s player recruitment is going to be crucial as it is for all managers. The squad has gaps and weaknesses that need to be addressed.

I find it hard to believe that AA will be a disaster given his CV and coaching credentials. 

Some players may need to change their attitude and try to adapt to what the new manager wants them to do and if they aren’t willing to or can’t then they will probably have to leave. 

I wonder if Donati might be part of the issue as he will have played against some of our senior players and there might be resentment accepting instruction from him. A bit like the McCulloch situation. 

Might have been better to have someone that the players didn’t have any knowledge of giving instruction. 

In all businesses when a new manager/leadership joins they will have their own methods/ideas on how to improve the current position of the business. It is up to the employees to adjust and follow the instructions of the new leadership to try and achieve what they are trying to implement. If employees, of any company, that don't adjust would find themselves out of a job. To put this in to context if the players don't adjust they may find themselves being left out of the squad and find it difficult to find a club who will consider taking them on if they see they are not willing to conform/adjust.

Imo Angelo was seeing what was achieved last season and setting out to improve on that, yes "crashing out of Europa League" was a heartbreak but during both games you could see the change in playing style, which imo looked exciting.

I agree that we need more attacking players as we were lacking in the final third but I have faith in the manager and the board to bring in the quality required.

On Brophy as has been said he doesn't play well with his back to goal, his first touch when his back is to goal is as if the ball is just rebounding off him. Imo Innes is the type of player Brophy could play off, I don't understand how folk are writing him off as not being ready, the lad is a big unit and on the clips I have seen from his loan spell he likes to literally run over the top of defenders. I say give the lad a chance as I think he will prove alot of people wrong.

We are Killie so lets get behind the team, manager and board.

20 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I think Cameron will go very far in the game. He’s certainly the best prospect since Boyd and Naismith. It’s simply a question of whether it’s this season or next before he is a regular contributor. I think having him around the squad this year is likely. 

Better than Greg Kiltie or Matt Kennedy? 

8 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Better than Greg Kiltie or Matt Kennedy? 

I definitely think so. Got it all for centre forward. Strong, good in the air, not slow and getting better at linking the play. A good finisher. Just wonder whether a year loan to championship club may be the final part of his development though. I think he’d score well into double figures in the championship as a regular starter.

36 minutes ago, badbluetux1017 said:

With some quick business and some shrood business think we will be safe. TBH looking like a season where comfortable 7th will be decent.

It's too early to know, a bit like the Mixu season. We'll have a better idea by October. 

4 hours ago, badbluetux1017 said:

Can someone help me and explain what open expansive football is that I keep hearing about . Is this pass and move or just full on attack or tiki taka. 

It's the kind of football where you get pumped 3-2 on aggregate by Welsh part timers. We should all enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, killiefife said:

I keep on seeing that the £400K+ that we threw away last Thursday was not budgeted for. Possibly so , but is anyone seriously saying that these additional funds would not have had a positive impact on our ability to bring in quality signings.

I don’t think that’s being said. But the comment about the CQN loss negating third place isn’t accurate - any money beyond our standard budgeting is a bonus.