Addio Alessio

the doomed

3 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

I'm not sure sacking Alessio works, but I'm not sure keeping him does either.  BB is well and truly between a rock and a hard place.

Sack him, and I'm not sure who you get in - I genuinely think our performances against CQN have exposed how weak/shallow our squad depth in, and potentially any 'big' manager who would have taken a punt on us before AA might think twice now.

I think its been said before but the ramifications of last night go beyond the embarrassment.

The money, beyond increased gates etc., for getting through to play Partizan, I think, could have paid the wages of four or five players at the higher end of our wage budget.  That's before we even consider the financial benefit of the group stages, which granted we may not have reached.

Even if the dressing room was behind the manager, which I doubt, the knock that would have had on the players confidence would be huge, a large part of our success under SSC was confidence and the ability to trust in every single instruction they were given.  That will not be the case now.

As a business, that is a marketing disaster.  Never mind the farce with the tickets for both legs, the stock issues in the shop, and the season ticket problems, the extra 3 or 4000 bodies there last night that could be potential new customers this season, I don't think will be in any hurry to come back.  For the majority of that last night the atmosphere was stinking.

I had two wee kids behind us balling their eyes out.  Good luck to their old man convincing them to come back for the Sevco game.

I was willing to defend AA because CQN were not here to play football over the two legs, but some of his decisions last night were mind boggling.

The players as a group should be ashamed of themselves, leaving Burkey the only Kilmarnock player to stay out and applaud the fans, including the CQN contingent.

The fact that he made such an effort, to me, indicates he acknowledged the discontent at him being subbed..

Worrying times ahead, hopefully AA can draw on his experience with high level managers to get us through this.

I agree with every word. Truly depressing.

1 minute ago, DuncD said:

The lack of preparation killed our chance to progress.

We also sadly don’t have the quality of players currently to compete at this level. There was a reason Daniel Bachmann was taken in for example. 

Alessio isn’t however solely to blame. The players let themselves down big time 

9 of the third best team in Scotland. We absolutely do have the players to compete.

Steve Clarke didn't need time, he came in and straight away with the players he had available he had a positive impact.

When I start a new job I'm not "given time". I'm expected to hit the ground running and get results straight away. If I f**ked up the companies biggest project in 20 years is be asked not to come back.

Just now, NorfolkG said:

That wasn’t Europe though. That was pub league.

It was europa league qualification standard. Of which they have been involved a lot more than us in recent memory. Our players don’t have much European experience at all sadly 

2 minutes ago, gjkillie007 said:

Steve Clarke didn't need time, he came in and straight away with the players he had available he had a positive impact.

When I start a new job I'm not "given time". I'm expected to hit the ground running and get results straight away. If I f**ked up the companies biggest project in 20 years is be asked not to come back.

Compare the performance and the crowd reaction to a 3-0 defeat v Hibs in SC's first game in charge to that shambles last night when the manager has had the players for weeks beforehand.

There is no shape or organisation to the team.

in effect it was 9 defensive minded players apart from Burke and Brophy, who can’t play as lone striker.

Why he thought that he needed to sign another defensive midfielder is beyond me! 

Woke up this morning with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!

Shameful!

10 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

I'm not sure sacking Alessio works, but I'm not sure keeping him does either.  BB is well and truly between a rock and a hard place.

Sack him, and I'm not sure who you get in - I genuinely think our performances against CQN have exposed how weak/shallow our squad depth in, and potentially any 'big' manager who would have taken a punt on us before AA might think twice now.

I think its been said before but the ramifications of last night go beyond the embarrassment.

The money, beyond increased gates etc., for getting through to play Partizan, I think, could have paid the wages of four or five players at the higher end of our wage budget.  That's before we even consider the financial benefit of the group stages, which granted we may not have reached.

Even if the dressing room was behind the manager, which I doubt, the knock that would have had on the players confidence would be huge, a large part of our success under SSC was confidence and the ability to trust in every single instruction they were given.  That will not be the case now.

As a business, that is a marketing disaster.  Never mind the farce with the tickets for both legs, the stock issues in the shop, and the season ticket problems, the extra 3 or 4000 bodies there last night that could be potential new customers this season, I don't think will be in any hurry to come back.  For the majority of that last night the atmosphere was stinking.

I had two wee kids behind us balling their eyes out.  Good luck to their old man convincing them to come back for the Sevco game.

I was willing to defend AA because CQN were not here to play football over the two legs, but some of his decisions last night were mind boggling.

The players as a group should be ashamed of themselves, leaving Burkey the only Kilmarnock player to stay out and applaud the fans, including the CQN contingent.

The fact that he made such an effort, to me, indicates he acknowledged the discontent at him being subbed..

Worrying times ahead, hopefully AA can draw on his experience with high level managers to get us through this.

There was a suggestion that Burke was injured and asked to come off. 

1 minute ago, gjkillie007 said:

The 2 goals came from a clusterf**k of errors.

Goal 1: Dicker caught flat footed, no one picked up the runner which gave him a free header, McDonald watched the ball trickle in to the net. Bachmann would have thrown his cap on it.

Goal 2: Ball drops on half way line McKenzie and Brophy(?) Both shat out of going to get the ball, their defender tackles and lumps it down the field. Findlay gets caught wrong side of his man and take him for a tumble.

Angelo can set up the team, style of play, tactics plan a,b,c,d,e...z but when professional footballers are making such fundememtal errors they have to accept the bulk of the blame imo

2 minutes ago, DuncD said:

It was europa league qualification standard. Of which they have been involved a lot more than us in recent memory. Our players don’t have much European experience at all sadly 

Yes, I agree.

But CQN were terrible. Even not knowing what we were doing we should have had 4 off them on chances.

Most worrying for me was Angelos inability to change the game. Let's face it, we were rotten in Rhyl as well and got lucky! He kept shouting at the player to "play, play" which is fine if you have the players but it had got us nowhere in 2 games! Not once did brophy run towards their goal for a ball in behind, short everytime which their defenders must have loved, they could stay in 2 blocks of 4 and kill everything. 

The worst part for me though is taking off Burke. the best player and hardest working on the night! Brought on a big striker which is fine but why take off the one guy who might give him a good cross!? Especially when we had 3 central midfielders still on

1 minute ago, KillieBantam said:

The 2 goals came from a clusterf**k of errors.

Goal 1: Dicker caught flat footed, no one picked up the runner which gave him a free header, McDonald watched the ball trickle in to the net. Bachmann would have thrown his cap on it.

Goal 2: Ball drops on half way line McKenzie and Brophy(?) Both shat out of going to get the ball, their defender tackles and lumps it down the field. Findlay gets caught wrong side of his man and take him for a tumble.

Angelo can set up the team, style of play, tactics plan a,b,c,d,e...z but when professional footballers are making such fundememtal errors they have to accept the bulk of the blame imo

For the 2nd goal it was Brophy who shat out the challenge. The defender should never have got to that ball first.

But what was our lone striker doing dropping back to the halfway line to receive the ball? What kind of approach to a game is that when you already have a midfield that barely get forward?

Our attacking threat (such as it was) came only from Burke and the two full-backs.

Tactics and system were all wrong - partially excusable in the first leg but we played them last week and they set up exactly the same. What the hell was the manager watching in Wales???

4 minutes ago, boab1869 said:

Most worrying for me was Angelos inability to change the game. Let's face it, we were rotten in Rhyl as well and got lucky! He kept shouting at the player to "play, play" which is fine if you have the players but it had got us nowhere in 2 games! Not once did brophy run towards their goal for a ball in behind, short everytime which their defenders must have loved, they could stay in 2 blocks of 4 and kill everything. 

The worst part for me though is taking off Burke. the best player and hardest working on the night! Brought on a big striker which is fine but why take off the one guy who might give him a good cross!? Especially when we had 3 central midfielders still on

Agree 100% with all of this.

The worrying thing for me is the complete lack of shape.

With Clarke every man had their position and had their task.

Half the team were floating about last night and getting in each other's roads. Dicker dropping back to almost a sweeper at times. Mo and Power doing little of anything. 

What happened to the high pressing game we were meant to be implementing? CNQ had time and space on the ball far too often.

I genuinely don't know what or where we go from here.

11 minutes ago, historyman said:

Compare the performance and the crowd reaction to a 3-0 defeat v Hibs in SC's first game in charge to that shambles last night when the manager has had the players for weeks beforehand.

Is that not a bit apples and oranges though? Regular league game against a Hibs side who attacked and left lots of space for counter attacking, from which we unlucky not to score loads of goals. 

It should come as absolutely no surprise to a football fan that 'giant killing' results like last night can happen when a wee team parks the bus and takes their chances. 

St Johnstone just lost to Montrose. Hibs just drew with Stirling. Not so long ago Rangers were losing Europa games like this. Celtic lost to Red Imps... It happens sometimes. 

Doesn't mean its acceptable, but it also doesn't mean everything is fundamentally broken. 

The reaction was there in Wales to come back and win. Just remains to be seen where last night was a blip or the start of a rot. 

30 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

Don’t think this will be a consideration yet however if it was then the only option would be to give it straight to Dyer.  Can’t be messing about with another manager search.

35 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

Brilliant post. Summed up perfectly. 

Findlays last minute winner last week papered over the poor performance in wales but the result was all that mattered. They had a game plan last night ( kick anything that moves and two rows of 5 at the back) and it worked. Nevertheless we should have pumped them and have been able to break them down, still want to support Alessio but last night makes it extremely difficult considering he inherited a well organized team.

Killie fans are a shambles. The majority of you were jubilant in the appointment of the Italian manager you'd never heard of (albeit one with a good CV). Posting "Forza Kilmarnock!!" and "I love him already", not only that but shooting down anyone who showed any apprehension towards the situation. 

Now, 2 competitive games into the season and the same fans are calling for his head. You are embarrassing.

Yes it was a terrible performance and I am as devastated as anyone that last seasons hard work has been undone. But a new manager needs time. Give the guy a chance to get his ideas across.

Preseason is a leveler - St Johnstone just lost to Montrose, Hibs drew with Stirling Albion and last season we looked terrible in the league cup group stage. 

A lot of people wrote off Alan Power after his first game, look how that turned out...

Steve Clarke lost his first game at RP!

Hibs won 3-0 / Nomads won 2-0

Chances to score, didn’t take them / Could of had the tie decided 1st half

New manager was trying a new system that the players weren’t used to yet and we lost / New manager was trying a new system that the players weren’t used to yet and we lost.

its clear the best chance for continuity would’ve been promoting AD but shouldn’t we give AA some time?

Shades of Alan Stubbs, look how that worked out. Why has he taken on a group of players that played successfully to a system last year and tried to change it, it’s all very well changing it if you have a new core of players but these guys knew their jobs to every detail last year.