Are we in for a relegation fight

kfc_superteam

1 minute ago, stewarty66 said:

Exactly.

St Johnstone beaten twice by League 1 sides and the much touted return of their prodigal son collapses after allegedly being a done deal.

Hearts barely manage out their group. Did Preston mention that? Stiil not got Naismith to put pen to paper.

Whilst our result against Nomads was catastrophic , they gave Partizan a run for their money and they are no worse off than when they came to Rugby Park.

Last season was amazing and its fair to say we overachieved, but for pundits to be tipping us for relegation is ridiculous.

Apart from Mulumbu and Bachmann we have the same core group of first team starters. Boyd, Millar, Tshibola and McAleny were more often or not on the bench.

A few squad additions before the end of August and retaining our players and we should be fine.

You could argue that they're actually better off since it's only 1 away goal they're up against in Partizan's case. 

Also saw that St Johnstone's shiney new Estonian Centre half played the full game today. Noting that just because other teams are signing players, they might not be any good. (Fully aware the lad might turn out to be top drawer in the long run btw). 

We’ve got the majority of last season’s team and will undoubtedly add a few more.

They don’t become bad players overnight and there was evidence of a post-McCulloch improvement under Paul McDonald in the Partick match prior to SSC taking over, so I don't think that performances can be 100% attributed to the Steve Clarke effect. 

The best anyone can say about Alessio at the moment is that it’s completely unknown whether he’ll be a good fit or not. It feels similar to the preseason when Mixu was appointed. 

We’ve seen some awful Killie sides in the past 20 years and none of them have been relegated. Not in the final days of JJ, the madness of Lee Clark or the season Tope was our top scorer.

Edited by fraz65

I don’t think we will be relegated as there are some really poor teams in the league, especially St Mirren, but if we are in the relegation places around Nov /Dec I think they will sack the manager. 

We need a good few signings over the next few weeks to make our prospects look a lot better. We can’t go into the new season with only two strikers - one of whom is a teenager. 

Can we just remember how bad we were under SC in the league cup group stages last year. StMirren should have pasted us in the 1st game, but didn’t have a finisher. Although it wasn’t purely our 1st choice line up we looked miles off their pace. There was a mini meltdown on here saying the season was over before it started, we’d blown the league cup again etc etc I don’t think we were massively better in the subsbequent games; it was due to the inferior quality of the opposition that we eased through them. In the first competitive games no matter who is in charge, the team always looks a shadow of what it should be. It’s ridiculously early to judge the manager. It’s a different argument to say we should have prepared differently and had some better quality games under our belt before CQN.

It was obvious that a new manager would need some time to assess the squad and see what he 'needed' to change.

If he had researched us much as has been said then he would have known in advance what we had lost from last season.

It has been very disappointing that we haven't yet made any attacking signings as that is obviously where we are lacking personnel... we desperately need a striker (preferably 2) and at least 2 attacking midfielders.

He also had a head start by taking over a 'winning' team with good, well drilled players who knew their role in the team.... that didn't last too long.

1 hour ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Only so much research can be done watching videos of games. He needed time with the players to see them and to understand their mentality. 

He knew before he came that we only had Brophy and an untried 18yo Cameron up front, with Thomas, McKenzie and an aging Burke as attacking midfielders. 

6 hours ago, chubbs said:

He knew before he came that we only had Brophy and an untried 18yo Cameron up front, with Thomas, McKenzie and an aging Burke as attacking midfielders. 

I’m sure he’s on it. There have been a number of hurdles that are likely to have slowed the process (1) timing of appointment and not having 4 months advance view in signings that most managers will have and that fact that historical targets are out of reach (2) getting knocked out or Europe. Can say his fault but budget would be cut and also some targets may be nervous about all the negativity (3) internal issues and resignations. Losing a person in the middle of these transCtions was a delay. All this says, he’ll be judged by incomings in next couple of weeks. 

Its the same lazy journalism which used to see Charlie Nicholas having us a favourites to go down every season. There is no way that on paper, and even without a signing, that we are below any of Livi, St.Mirren, Accies, Ross County and arguably St.Johnstone. Motherwell have brought 10 new signings in which will presumably strengthen them.

So, the 'journalists' tipping us for a play-off spot/to go down, based on one result is ridiculous.

22 hours ago, chubbs said:

He also had a head start by taking over a 'winning' team with good, well drilled players who knew their role in the team.... that didn't last too long.

To be fair, he did take over a winning team that had its attacking threat removed from it.

In answer to the posters question NO, the negativity on this forum has been deafening, played 2 lost 1 against a team we should have beaten reasonably easily but didn't with players that performed heroically last season. The manager picked probably a similar team from the squad he was left with that most of us would have and the players let him, us and themselves down.

Let's get behind the Manager and team and not throw the baby out with the bath water, give them the chance to put the rumours and negativity in the bin where they belongs.

I was at the Inverness Thistle debacle and living in the area, thought life would never be the same again and still get ribbed from some of the old Jaggies but not one of them wouldn't swap places with us now........

Forza Killie.....

I don't expect a relegation fight this season, More a fight to get into top six. But it all depends on who we manage to get in and how the players react to the Manager's idea's.

The problem we have atm will carry on into next season if we don't sign players with proper contracts, It fine bringing in loan players to bring some quality , But loan players just to bolster the Squad is dangerous. A core group are approaching the final years in the game and we have no one yet pushing to replace them.

If we keep the majority of last years first 11 and bring in a goalscorer and creativity for the midfield i can see us pushing top six or perhaps higher.

But if we just fill the squad and loose a few games early on i think the fans negativity will hinder the Team and results will be inconsistent, Leading to a long struggle.

I personally feel we are needing to start to rebuild the Squad , How many players are 32+ . I would accept bring in some cash from our star players and bring in some talented youngsters, Perhaps we would be mid table for a season or two but hopefully push on after a while.

Motherwell have struggled for a wee while now and played awful football , Then they blood their kids and now play fairly good football and have finished last season well and this season romped their Betfred group....With clubs also sniffing around their youngsters.