Friendlies

posh79

Why the hell are we not playing any friendlies (i dont count the one today at Darvel as it was fringe players playing).

Rangers played another one today as well has having played in Europe the same time as us.  By the time we will play them, they will have played 8 matches.  I think we have only played 4 matches and as far as i know we dont have anymore planned.  For a manager trying to implement his own system i would have thought match time would be essential.  

I'm not impressed by whats happened so far this season.  Out of Europe, no signing of note, no open day, poor communication and lack of friendly matches.  Very Very poor.

3 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

This obsession over playing friendlies is really quite something. 

obsession about being prepared for the start of the season considering we just lost a two legged play off against amateurs?? Wouldn't really call that an obsession.

1 minute ago, Thebigguy68 said:

It would make sense to play a decent English team at rp next Saturday I would have though

Unless we make a few quick signings I'm not sure playing a decent English team would do much for morale. Maybe playing a rubbish English team would be better. 

We should have had at least a couple arranged. Almost seems as if where we’ve used the league cup as pre season in recent years we’ve tried to use Europe this year. Only it’s backfired and we are sitting on our arse for two weeks before the first league game having served up a total shambles in Europe 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Its not really. 

The lack of games is concerning. Player's looked off the pace on Thursday. 

True 

Plus apart from helping get players match fit a friendly game could been useful in sorting out our shape and ways to play v Nomads etc...

They prepared for the qualifying games by playing a game v Aberdeen ........

6 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Correct. The blame for which lies squarely at our very highly paid managers door. Another dereliction of duty from him. 

It could also be laid at the previous managers door for leaving without proper planning in place or it could be laid at the door of the assistant manager who was overseeing things with no gaffer in place. There are too many people it could be blamed on.

1 hour ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

This obsession over playing friendlies is really quite something. 

Aye, let's not bother playing any more games before Rangers turn up - see where that leaves us. 

I think we have been totally negligent in terms of preparation for the European matches and unless something happens quickly it will be the same again when we play Rangers on the 4th August.   

13 minutes ago, piffer said:

It could also be laid at the previous managers door for leaving without proper planning in place or it could be laid at the door of the assistant manager who was overseeing things with no gaffer in place. There are too many people it could be blamed on.

How can you attribute any blame to SSC? 

8 minutes ago, Pelesboots said:

Aye, let's not bother playing any more games before Rangers turn up - see where that leaves us. 

I think we have been totally negligent in terms of preparation for the European matches and unless something happens quickly it will be the same again when we play Rangers on the 4th August.   

Who said anything about not bothering about playing any more? I was referring to our fans getting extremely worked up about them unnecessarily. We played 2 friendlies prior to our European humiliation, same as the Nomads had done. Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen had all played 3 prior to their first European fixture. 

We *probably* banked on playing 2 more games against Partizan, both in terms of fitness and in terms of financial income. Obviously that's no longer happening so it's a lot of sorting out to do at fairly short notice.

Just now, Dieter's Heeder said:

Who said anything about not bothering about playing any more? I was referring to our fans getting extremely worked up about them unnecessarily. We played 2 friendlies prior to our European humiliation, same as the Nomads had done. Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen had all played 3 prior to their first European fixture. 

We *probably* banked on playing 2 more games against Partizan, both in terms of fitness and in terms of financial income. Obviously that's no longer happening so it's a lot of sorting out to do at fairly short notice.

I don't think we are getting worked up unnecessarily.  Personally I am less than impressed with the way the club appears to have been run since Clarke left.  We took far too long to appoint a manager and the lack of activity over new players, especially if we want to play a more expansive game, is extremely worrying. 

We waited 18 years for European football and have totally screwed up that experience - we should have been far better prepared in terms of appointing a manager, getting our match fitness, bringing in new players, working on tactics than we are.   As a consequence we have also managed to deflate many of the support, especially those who had come back to watch us and lose the additional revenue that we should have earned. 

There is also no word coming out yet about any friendlies, something that I now believe is a priority, especially if we bring some new players in this week. 

IMO this close season has been a complete shambles. 

8 hours ago, piffer said:

I’m not but I’m saying it could be. When does planning for pre season start? I’m guessing it’s not the week before the players return.

There were teams in our league who had friendlies announced before sesson had ended. 

Motherwell had been to Ireland for games before we went to Wales and they're flying in pre season.

its no coincidence we've been s**te. 

Full preparations have been amateur hour from what i can see. Zero contingency and i fear the huns will embarrass us. 

48 minutes ago, Piersquared said:

Rangers will have played 8 games by the time we play them.

They had 4 friendlies organised for July confirmed in May before the season ended.

Can't really compare ourselves to them. They organise home friendlies to fleece more cash out their fans, no other reason