SevCo Penalty Watch

I was amazed by James Tavernier of SevCo's statistics last season during which he scored something like 20+ goals all bar two of which were penalties. A high proporition of these were in the league where SevCo appear to do particulalry well with penalty awards compared to the other teams.

It is also easy to forget the penalties that are missed, when so many are being awarded it is understandable if the takers can become too relaxed knowing that if they miss, another one will be along shortly.

So I thought this season I would just keep a wee eye on what happens. 

Last night James Tavernier missed a penalty at Ibrox against Progres Niederkorn. This award added to the award scored by the Toad last week at Ibrox against the Gibraltar team.

Three games into the season, two awards so far, but a 100% award rate in games at Ibrox. Early days.

PS I have deliberately given this thread a clear title so that people who think I am wearing a tinfoil hat can steer clear of the thread!

behind Aberdeen, we finished 3rd in Penalties awarded to us last season,

Scottish Premiership 18/19 Penalties awarded

Clubs F H A S M SV Rangers 13 8 5 12 1 - Aberdeen 10 4 6 8 - 2 Kilmarnock 9 7 2 9 - - Heart of Midlothian 8 7 1 5 1 2 St Johnstone 8 5 3 4 1 3 Celtic 6 4 2 5 - 1 Hibernian 6 5 1 4 1 1 Motherwell 5 3 2 4 - 1 Hamilton Academical 4 3 1 4 - - St Mirren 4 - 4 3 - 1 Livingston 3 2 1 2 - 1 Dundee 2 1 1 1 - 1

F = For,

H = Home,

A = Away,

S = Scored,

M = Missed,

SV = Saved.

Seems a bit mad Rangers had 13 penalties awarded last season but Celtic, champions, who presumably played better attacking football in the box, less than half that number.

Other teams are irrelevant in the comparison IMO. Was obvious who's team the officials favoured last year when it counted!

8 hours ago, RAG said:

Seems a bit mad Rangers had 13 penalties awarded last season but Celtic, champions, who presumably played better attacking football in the box, less than half that number.

Other teams are irrelevant in the comparison IMO. Was obvious who's team the officials favoured last year when it counted!

Why is it irrelevant, because it doesn’t suit your argument? 

3 hours ago, RAG said:

Cos I can’t recall ref’s being pictured in boozers drinking with Celtic fans after officiating ‘Old Firm’ fixtures.

Aw, so... Rangers got the most penalties last year cause the authorities and referees were on their side... But the same “ref’s” were in boozers drinking with Celtic fans after the old firm. The very referees that gave Celtic half the number of penalties they gave Rangers... all of this rendering the 10 penalties Aberdeen were awarded, and the 9 we got as meaningless to your argument... nope sorry, you’ve lost me. 

2 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

Aw, so... Rangers got the most penalties last year cause the authorities and referees were on their side...

That's just my opinion.  How else could a 6 year old club have an 'unbroken' 140 year history?!  Morelos should have been sent off about a dozen times last year -penalties awarded are the least of it.

13 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

So why do the refs drink in Celtic pubs? Bit of a juxtaposition. 

He didnt say they did.............he said he cant recall seeing any reports of it......... I assume in reference to the reports of the ref being pictured in a Sevco pub after the old firm game??

Someone posted elsewhere that we were one of the poorest goalscorers in the top half of the league - 50 from 38 or something like that.

Yet we were third in the penalty league. We must have refs favouring us too. 

We have another thread elsewhere bemoaning that Willie Collum will be biased in favour of Rangers on Sunday, blissfully ignoring the last minute penalty he gave us against them just a few months ago! 

Bizarre. 

If you want to get your Sevco kicks, go and read the recent Rangers vs SDIR court decision. Added to the Close Brothers 'overdraft', and the £30m they've lost since King took over, they might not see out the season. Again. 

17 minutes ago, Pompey Exile said:

People keep saying they'll go bust again but is it just wishful thinking

They lost £14Million quid last year and have spent a good few millio  more in the close season and brought even more players on what is likely to be 5 - 20k a week each.

Tick f**king tock ya bigoted zombie barstards.

In mid to late September the judge in the Sports Direct case will decide how much they need to pay. Considering the outcome of the case, they will not be allowed to wear Hummel kits, although Hummel have paid them to do so, so that should bring about another lawsuit, along with Elite Sports, who I think do the retail part. 

They cannot get an overdraft, and secured a loan from Close Brothers (the Wonga of the business world) just to cover operating costs, which is secured against the only assets they could reasonably sell (the car park and the training ground). 

If the court case awards SDIR upwards of £10m and they don't make the Europa League group stages, they're daffy ducked. 

It was the failure to qualify for the Champions League the last time that finally put their head underwater. 

There have been false dawns before, but this one looks promising. 

Edited by Scooby_Doo

I think I read during the week that they have 3 loans outstanding at the moment.

They reached the group stages of the EL last season which will boost their income (unfortunately) .... they are desperate to sell Morelos and/or Tavernier  to keep them going but no-one has made a bid.

25 minutes ago, chubbs said:

They reached the group stages of the EL last season which will boost their income (unfortunately) .... they are desperate to sell Morelos and/or Tavernier  to keep them going but no-one has made a bid.

Might be English clubs know there's a fire sale ahead!  Aside from discipline problem Morellos looks a better player to me than McBurnie - yet who'd pay £20m for Morellos?  But they'll get enough from him to keep the candle burning at both ends..