Positive vibes

Stb1750

Let's bring back some positive thinking among our fans! On our 150th anniversary we should be reminiscing our better moments than getting battered by the doom and gloom rumor mill.

What is your greatest Killie moment that you were maybe even lucky enough to witness from the stands?

For me it has to be the first time I watched Killie lift a trophy in 2012 defeating local rivals and the hyped up supposed to be treble-heroes along the way to our cup glory. The wee greet from Lennon was a wee positive when I seen it too! 

Very difficult to pick the best one. I think however might have to go for the last game of the season in May. 

Although only one game it brought about a league position achieved over an amazing period of matches. The wait before Brophy took the penalty and the reaction when he scored will never be forgotten.  

1997 for me, just because of the situation.  Managed to stay up the week before thanks to Holts equaliser and then as favourites we won a major trophy.

I'd have to say as well that the game at Easter road in our first year back  to stay up is another as it signalled to me that Killie were back.

1997 first time I ever saw my father shed a tear, however last game against Rangers is a close second the atmosphere at Rugby Park was amazing.  Couple of other moments worth a mention, staying up at Easter Road last day of the season first year back in the top flight, and although not a big match, coming back with 10 men to beat Dundee, for a second it felt like perhaps the Steve Clarke bubble had burst, but bringing on a striker, one of the best team goals and individual goals later l walked out thinking something special was happening at Rugby Park. 

1997 without a doubt for me.

We were on a family holiday to Ibiza when I was a kid.

Met a*r fans the night before we left, they got proper stick until we left the hotel about midnight. I was 8 years old, so the usual kid pelters  (Black, white b@st@r*s we don't care, that sorta thing, nothing too harsh and undeserved).

Made the 3am flight home (only time I ever remember my dad freaking out about a potential delay), in the house for 6am, washed, changed, curly killie blue and white weans wig on, met up with pretty much all my mum and dads friends/family etc at pre bus parties and headed up on the bus. 

John finnie st afterward man, never saw anything like it in my life. What a glorious day that'll live on in so many peoples memories forever.

Remember it like yesterday, cant wait to experience all this with my own son. However, I wont be as daft as to book a family holiday abroad until the day of a cup final:2:

32 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

Winning cups is great no doubt, but for me this will always be number 1 I think.

Yes. For me to Bob. I had witnessed the slow decline of the club since the early 80s. We had the odd close encounter with good Aberdeen, Dundee utd and hearts teams in the cups but this was us beating a big team for the first time in my watching years. Folks forget how huge they were then, competing in the transfer market with all the big clubs in Europe. Against our dads army team. They had been unbeaten at home for over 2 seasons.Truly announced that “ killie are back” and was springboard for future successes thereafter.

I’ve seen us win the Scottish but I was quite little and can’t really mind the game or day at Ibrox and the league cup. 

League cup was tarnished for me as my dad and mum were in Australia and my son was at stage of not really wanting to go to games and I was on my own. When we scored I sat on my chair and sobbed like a big wane, then drunk called my dad at whatever time in the morning it was in Oz through happy tears telling him “we’ve done it, we’ve won the cup”. 

So my happy memories are mostly under Clarke because my dad and son were both there for it. The 2-1 game to clinch third spot, the Tynecastle game where we all went ape s**t and began to believe we could actually finish third and the draw at Ibrox because wee fella had never been before and he was buzzing. 

24 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I’ve seen us win the Scottish but I was quite little and can’t really mind the game or day at Ibrox and the league cup. 

League cup was tarnished for me as my dad and mum were in Australia and my son was at stage of not really wanting to go to games and I was on my own. When we scored I sat on my chair and sobbed like a big wane, then drunk called my dad at whatever time in the morning it was in Oz through happy tears telling him “we’ve done it, we’ve won the cup”. 

So my happy memories are mostly under Clarke because my dad and son were both there for it. The 2-1 game to clinch third spot, the Tynecastle game where we all went ape s**t and began to believe we could actually finish third and the draw at Ibrox because wee fella had never been before and he was buzzing. 

I’d came across this video from the game at tynecastle. That really was some day!! The buzz was unbelievable. 

To go off track a little, I was chewing the fat with some of my buddies yesterday and one - Anglo-Australian, Middlesbrough fan, late-50s - asked me who was the most famous Kilmarnock player.

I thought a little and said it was probably Ally McCoist, because most people have heard of him.

“Did he start there then?”

”No, he finished there but he and Ian Durrant were still good enough to be capped.”

Who else? Gary Shaw, the only European Cup winner to play for the club? They vaguely remembered him. 

Christophe Cocard? That drew a blank. 

The Boro fan claimed to remember Jim Stewart but I wasn’t convinced. 

Craig Bryson? Yes, they seemed to know him. 

I thought later of Tommy Burns or Pat Nevin. Boydy, even. 

Not easy being put on the spot. Who would you say was our most famous player? 

Edited by skygod

Didn't even think of Naisy!

Holt wouldn’t have registered any recognition, I’m sure.

I could have tried Mulumbu too. Eremenko (doubt it)....

Could have tried Longstaff or Woodman, I suppose. Not really our players though. 

Edited by skygod