Sigh...non alcoholic beer

Shropshire_killie

I've been down this road. 

Heineken is fine if ice cold, you do feel like you're having a beer. 

Almost every other one I've tried, including Punk AF (which is almost the same price as the Punk I'm drinking right now), tastes the same. s**te. 

I haven't tried the Ghost Ship, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. 

I found it a bit like food. If you want to be vegan/vegetarian, that's fine. Just accept that you can't have sausages, burger and bacon anymore, rather than eating the fake stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Scooter said:

What do you mean by "must reduce beers"? Is it for health reasons or are you just an alkie? 

No Scooter. I had a stent fitted in me chest a few weeks back. The medication I'm now stuck with says if I drink alcohol it could cause stomach bleeding. Bit of a pain as love a beer! 

11 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Been told must reduce beers

Reduce, not cut out. 

A drink or two won't kill you any more than the heart disease will. In fact, I have read it might be beneficial. Very moderate drinking after surgery can open blocked arteries, so reduce the rate of further narrowing.

Haven't we had enough of experts anyway, what do these quacks know?

...mon, take a drink!

Edited by Scooter

On 7/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, Shropshire_killie said:

No Scooter. I had a stent fitted in me chest a few weeks back. The medication I'm now stuck with says if I drink alcohol it could cause stomach bleeding. Bit of a pain as love a beer! 

As you feel better and your confidence returns you will get back to living, why in gods name bother if you have to chuck everything you enjoy ! it took me about three months to have my first DOUBLE Vodka and Diet Coke :D , seriously though, I'm guessing they have put you on Plavix or Clopidregil which is to prevent platelet sticking to the stent, all perfectly normal but your blood is like water so they're not keen on excess dramming. Anything in moderation!!

1 hour ago, killie billies pal said:

As you feel better and your confidence returns you will get back to living, why in gods name bother if you have to chuck everything you enjoy ! it took me about three months to have my first DOUBLE Vodka and Diet Coke :D , seriously though, I'm guessing they have put you on Plavix or Clopidregil which is to prevent platelet sticking to the stent, all perfectly normal but your blood is like water so they're not keen on excess dramming. Anything in moderation!!

Yeah Clopidogrel and Lipitor I think to thin me blood! 

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 3:31 PM, Bonbon19 said:

All non alcohol beers have sh1t loads of chemicals to remove the alcohol and attempt to make them tasty , I’m a late comer to them but was advised to drink them in moderation too. ( advice was from an industrial chemist whose company has a link to beer companies )  

I would think the reality is closer to alcohol-free beer using the same ingredients found in standard beer, but brewers sometimes use them differently and alter the process to achieve the beer they want.

• 2 months later...

Lidl own brand alcohol free beer is refreshing and very drinkable - and a bargain at just £2.40 odd for 6

other totally alcohol free beers that I’d recommend are warsteiner (from Tesco), Heineken and Becks Blue seems to have improved a hell of a lot in the ten years or so I avoided the stuff for being horrible.

Damm lager (small blue tins from asda) has gone down well in the past but got some recently and it seems to have been overtaken by the competition.

the Budweiser effort is terrible and peroni far too sweet.

if you are allowed 0.5% alcohol, which is considered alcohol free in other countries and can apparently be found in some fruit juice, then ghost ship (bottled in Tesco/ cans in Asda) Guinness lager (Morrison’s I think),  the infinite session beers (Tesco / Sainsbury’s) or big drop (Tesco) are all really impressive. The brewdog nanny state and ipa AF are good too. To be honest not sure I’ve ever tried a truly bad one at 0.5% alcohol.

as for the need to drink in moderation, probably because it doesn’t have the alcohol I’ve never really wanted to drink more than 2 or 3 in a night - only a couple of times when I’ve been at a Christmas night out and driving or similar have I had a large amount in one sitting. And it really does not fee right getting into a car after downing 8 beers, even when non alcoholic!

Edited by Tom061087