Stephen O’Donnell

Maverick11

Listened to the podcast last night, and like Dicker, sounded as if he was walking on eggshells when discussing AA. Whether they’re right or wrong, there isn’t a hint of enthusiasm when they’re asked about the new setup, it’s all hesitation and qualification. The contrast with players reaction when Clarke arrived couldn’t be more stark. I had to laugh about players who work a few mornings a week asking for time off though. 

It’s really peculiar. They are busting a gut on the pitch but seen very reluctant to publicly back AA.

At the end of the day, he’s their boss: if they work well for him but don’t like him, well, that’s just working life for a lot of people!

From SOD’s comments, it seems he’s approachable but just doesn’t have the language to ‘have a chat’.

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

Exactly. He said that, as far as coaching is concerned, AA can get his message across.

Try asking him which horse he thinks will win the 2.30 race at Chepstow and he might struggle. 

I know which way round I prefer it. 

I agree. A ‘good lad’ seems to be what is preferred in Scotland by players though...

It was my main concern: the day to day of management at a small club - or any club - is VERY different to being on a coaching field with elite players.

Think its fair to say most young Scottish lads would prefer to have a Scottish/British manager in any walk of life than an Italian who does not yet have a strong grip of the English language. Footballers probably more so. 

What they prefer is irrelevant if they are performing on the park and getting results. 

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What was he wanting time off for?

Related to his wife being pregnant - I think the point he was making was that Alessio might struggle to understand, I dunno, "growth scan" or something, but can get the football message across. 

I agree with others that there isn't as much enthusiasm, but I thought he sounded really interested in the new approach and seemed to totally disagree with Broadfoot. 

He was very honest in saying they see still adapting and that would be the case regardless of who came in. 

I didn't think SOD came over negatively in regards to AA. I thought he was just careful about not calling Broadfoot an old dinosaur, he even accidentally referred to him as an ex-player. His point to me came across that you need to buy into change or you won't enjoy it and Kirk was just too set in his ways to embrace change.

Edited by Fletch

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I didn't think SOD came over negatively in regards to AA. I thought he was just careful about not calling Broadfoot an old dinosaur, he even accidentally referred to him as an ex-player. His point to me came across that you need to buy into change or you won't enjoy it and Kirk was just too set in his ways to embrace change.

Was my take too, he did say the onus was for players  to want to adjust to new methods but it's taken time..also said again AA wants to play a front 2 

Felt SOD just used the "time off" comment as way of describing difference between AA and other previous Managers.. as a coach AA was now getting his message across ok, but was occasional issues off the field stuff, possibly both due to language and at other clubs AA had HR / General Managers who dealt with those issues.

19 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Was my take too, he did say the onus was for players  to want to adjust to new methods but it's taken time..also said again AA wants to play a front 2 

Felt SOD just used the "time off" comment as way of describing difference between AA and other previous Managers.. as a coach AA was now getting his message across ok, but was occasional issues off the field stuff, possibly both due to language and at other clubs AA had HR / General Managers who dealt with those issues.

Very good point. The absence of a Football Executive was/is significant.

He wasn't negative at all I thought. It's all about change and how you deal with it. Said language barrier is difficult on a one to one basis but coaching is fine. Mccall was backing allesio up aswell on the broadfoot situation. Saying that Italian style coaching hasn't done them any harm.  Interesting that he said Alessio wants to play 4-4-2 but we didn't have the personnel. Might see 2 up top soon

SOD spoke very well and was walking a bit of a tightrope with the Broadfoot questions and being a part of both AA and SC's current squads.  McCall was I thought, very fair to AA and Killie for an Ayr manager. One of the better Sportsound episodes, McCall and SOD both spoke frankly and honestly.

36 minutes ago, Killiesince69 said:

I don't see why the language issue can't be two ways, couldn't the players spend some time learning a bit of Italian, they get enough spare time. The club could even arrange this- twenty to thirty minutes a day? Marginal gains and all that.  

I don't think they should have to do that to be honest. They aren't playing in Italy.

53 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

He wasn't negative at all I thought. It's all about change and how you deal with it. Said language barrier is difficult on a one to one basis but coaching is fine. Mccall was backing allesio up aswell on the broadfoot situation. Saying that Italian style coaching hasn't done them any harm.  Interesting that he said Alessio wants to play 4-4-2 but we didn't have the personnel. Might see 2 up top soon

He wants to play 4-4-2 but we "don't have the personnel", yet he was quoted as saying he is now happy and the squad is complete, I believe?

Doesnt make much sense if he hasn't signed the required personnel to play his preferred system. 

I think SOD did well over the full show, it was a tough position to be in. Can't go OTT in praise for AA because he still has to work with his ex- manager a number of times a year and if he spoke a lot about how amazing AA's coaching is then some would ask whether that meant Clarke wasn't quite as good e.g.. McCall came across well (As he did with Dicker) and personally I like his wee digs at Killie - you'd expect nothing less from the manager of our rivals who's biggest achievements in history are winning against us.. Plus, I've nothing but respect for the way he's overcame his issues in life and get back to coaching at a decent level.

SOD's view on Broadfoot seems to be the general consensus on him - a great pro, brilliant to play next to but an absolute throbber away from the park.

6 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

I think SOD did well over the full show, it was a tough position to be in. Can't go OTT in praise for AA because he still has to work with his ex- manager a number of times a year and if he spoke a lot about how amazing AA's coaching is then some would ask whether that meant Clarke wasn't quite as good e.g.. McCall came across well (As he did with Dicker) and personally I like his wee digs at Killie - you'd expect nothing less from the manager of our rivals who's biggest achievements in history are winning against us.. Plus, I've nothing but respect for the way he's overcame his issues in life and get back to coaching at a decent level.

SOD's view on Broadfoot seems to be the general consensus on him - a great pro, brilliant to play next to but an absolute throbber away from the park.

Yes agree, also McCall mentioned Power as well could hardly move when he played one of his first games at scummerset, but has developed into a cracking player now.