Who would you sign

kfc_superteam

2 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

I agree that there is every chance that the cash boost associated with getting to Europe might well have been used up rewarding those who achieved it. That said, the wages of the first team players we still need to replace were fairly significant: Boyd, McAleny, Mulumbu and Bachmann in particular.

I doubt we will be announcing a Serie A star but a Taouil and Pascali...you never know. It’s all about the scouting. Oh, wait.

I know it’s a hard one to take, but a fair bit of the Boyd etc money is being spent on giving us another stand for Old Firm games. That plus no Euro windfall, work around stadium and, I hope, getting a few big names tied down at some point, means the pot isn’t going to be as big as people are bandying about. 

Just now, Travis said:

I know it’s a hard one to take, but a fair bit of the Boyd etc money is being spent on giving us another stand for Old Firm games. That plus no Euro windfall, work around stadium and, I hope, getting a few big names tied down at some point, means the pot isn’t going to be as big as people are bandying about. 

I think that’s a fair guess. And if it’s the case, I think the board should say so. People would be generally accepting, I think.

BB did say the budget was up though - I think that was an error to be honest as it weakened our negotiating position.

1 minute ago, NorfolkG said:

I think that’s a fair guess. And if it’s the case, I think the board should say so. People would be generally accepting, I think.

BB did say the budget was up though - I think that was an error to be honest as it weakened our negotiating position.

I think in retrospect ‘budget is up’ and ‘we have the best manager in the league’ will prove to be, if I’m being generous, slight missteps. 

26 minutes ago, killiecross said:

Bit leftfield but Cillian Sheridan?  Still only 30 and was on fire (albeit 6 years ago) before he got injured then fell down the pecking order when Boyd came back.  6 foot 5 with pace could be an ideal foil for Brophy.  Been to Cyprus, Poland and New Zealand and has a better goal average than half of the names mentioned on here.

Currently playing in Israel.  Worth a punt?  

No doubt the right offer would persuade him but he seems to be enjoying the travelling and sampling new leagues and cultures. 

5 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Yup. Lessons learned I think. 

And, to be fair, BB and co have earned the leeway to make a mistake or two. I hope that they’re a more open, reflective board that can learn from the post-Clarke problems. 

In retrospect ‘Bye bye Rangers’ and ‘Best chairman I’ve ever worked with’ didn’t really help much either. 

But main thing is learning from those messages, which set up unrealistic expectations and have been the root of the frustrations ever since. 

But, let’s face it, it’s still infinitely better than the previous relentless s**tshow of a chairman. 

Edited by Travis

19 minutes ago, Travis said:

I've said before that I think that BB has been a bit naive with the media.

He's made a few statements that raised eyebrows and sounded like fan-pleasing gestures. 

Losing 18,000 Old Firm fans at £25 a ticket can't possibly be cost-neutral. 

There's also no Champions League money from Celtic and we're paying for both Donati and Dyer and an additional goalkeeping coach. 

Edited by fraz65

42 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

Maybe 'losing' 18,000 Old Firm fans might not be cost neutral but to the Kilmarnock fans that go it is as they say 'priceless'.

Which is absolutely fine, and leads to an infinitely better match day experience. They don’t deserve any more tickets. And hell mend them. 

But let’s not be naive enough to assume it doesn’t come without a real-world coat, which will either be in new signings or contract renewals. Best to face these things with a degree of reality.  

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

Which is absolutely fine, and leads to an infinitely better match day experience. They don’t deserve any more tickets. And hell mend them. 

But let’s not be naive enough to assume it doesn’t come without a real-world coat, which will either be in new signings or contract renewals. Best to face these things with a degree of reality.  

I would love it if BB came out and said that the decision to only give them one stand cost us X amount.  It would put the onus, to some extent, back to us fans.......do you want this amount for signings or do you want RP to belong to us?  Pretty sure the vast majority of us would sacrifice a signing or two for that.

In terms of potentially realistic signings that I would like to see before the end of the window, my wish list would be probably only have one player who I could actually name on it - Stevie May.  In addition to a couple of wide players however I don't have the knowledge of English/European lower leagues or reserve squads to actually name anyone else.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

But main thing is learning from those messages, which set up unrealistic expectations and have been the root of the frustrations ever since. 

I don’t think beating Connah’s Quay was an unrealistic expectation! 

Exiting Europe without needing to get our passports out was a huge humiliation and downer at the start of the season. 

Two years ago, I took issue with people saying losing to Ayr in the first match had ruined the season. After all, we had still qualified from the group.

As it was, I was right and we finished fifth. 

This time though, I think that result will have a longer-lasting impact on our season. 

It was the worst possible start for the manager and he needs to start getting points on the board quickly. After a couple of months I think we should be seeing the effects of his coaching. 

1 minute ago, skygod said:

After a couple of months I think we should be seeing the effects of his coaching. 

This is also the problem with potential new signings that it may take them a month or two to adapt to AA’s coaching methods. 

My worry is that for all this “who are we going to sign?” talk we have actually signed 5 players which is a lot in one transfer window. I know that 2 are previous loanees returning but I always feel it’s dangerous to make wholesale changes and introduce too many players in one window. I’m guessing we just need to make sure that we strike the balance and any future recruitment is right on the money.  

I’m also not saying that we don’t need to strengthen our attacking/creativity options before anyone slated me for that. 

6 hours ago, KillieBus said:

Maybe 'losing' 18,000 Old Firm fans might not be cost neutral but to the Kilmarnock fans that go it is as they say 'priceless'.

You have to then accept that this might mean not being able to afford a decent SPL striker. 

All of these decisions have trade-offs and we can't have everything. 

Personally, I think that we should have continued to take the Old Firm dollar but then I'm only watching on Killie TV. 

Edited by fraz65

8 hours ago, skygod said:

Exiting Europe without needing to get our passports out was a huge humiliation and downer at the start of the season. 

Of course you’ll acknowledge that I didn’t say that beating CQ was an unrealistic expectation. 

I think the post-Clarke euphoria around having the best manager in the league and more money to spend was the root of raising expectations amongst fans. 

You can see from the type of player people are talking about that they were set up to expect a slightly different level, which is unrealistic given the amount of income we generate as a club. 

8 hours ago, skygod said:

Two years ago, I took issue with people saying losing to Ayr in the first match had ruined the season. After all, we had still qualified from the group.

As it was, I was right and we finished fifth. 

This time though, I think that result will have a longer-lasting impact on our season. 

It was the worst possible start for the manager and he needs to start getting points on the board quickly. After a couple of months I think we should be seeing the effects of his coaching. 

Agreed - and the season only turned into a success two years ago because we had a change of manager.
Once a full round of league fixtures have been played we shoyld have an idea of how things are going. The best I can see for us is challenging in and around 6th and if thats the case then I will be happy enough.

52 minutes ago, historyman said:

Agreed - and the season only turned into a success two years ago because we had a change of manager.

That’s right, but a season is a long time with lots of twists and turns which can affect fortunes positively and negatively. 

I comfort myself with the knowledge that May is a long way off. 

It just doesn’t help when you enter the stage with a pratfall!