Is Brophy just another Sammon?

Cass316

48 minutes ago, jesper said:

You have issues mate. 

McKenzie was a standout towards the end of last season, he was a standout against Rangers and he was one of 2 people who actually looked like they could create anything against Hamilton. 

You're inability to appreciate this just makes you look like you don't have a clue. My suspicion is: you don't. 

Welcome aboard the bandwagon.

It’s alright to criticise Brophy, a Scotland international but god forbid anyone criticises “one of our own”.

Going by your snarky reply you must think McKenzie is good in the air, good at going past defenders, good at running in behind defences, great at long shots.... seems like you don’t have a clue either then. 

Literally months ago I listed all the attributes Rory has to improve and he hasn’t since and I’m still awaiting a counter argument. All I get is narrow minded replies like this.

And for the record (again) I’ve always said there’s a time and place for Rory. Mostly against the old firm when you need the “try-hards”. When your playing against the likes of Hamilton when they are hard to break down Rory offers us nothing. It was evident against the part timers from wales. NOT once did he make a run in behind or take the defender away to allow space in the middle of the park for someone else to create. So you can get off your high horse pal. I’m not 100% against him and I actually praised him after the rangers game because of his hard work ethics.

If you think that he will create things against the teams that are going to sit back and wait for us to break them down then that’s your opinion, go ahead.

McKenzie did have a very good and fairly consistent run at the end of last season ... but it took the genius that is SSC 18months to get it out of him. 

He was not good on Saturday, he kept running into the same space as Brophy and almost contributed  to another goal by s**tting out of a challenge.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:57 AM, Cass316 said:

Me and my dad were talking about our striker situation last night.

He brought up the fact that he thinks Brophy is just like Conor Sammon.

Scored a load of goals with Stewart providing the balls just like Eremenko provided Sammon.

I can see his point. Take away the penalties and Brophy doesn't have the best strike rate. 

Thoughts?

No, stop being so negative. The negativity police will be on to you. No space for objective evidence based opinions on here these days.

4 hours ago, Guff92 said:

Literally months ago I listed all the attributes Rory has to improve and he hasn’t since and I’m still awaiting a counter argument. All I get is narrow minded replies like this.

That's because your premise is faulty, so there is no counterargument without granting your premise.

When your playing against the likes of Hamilton when they are hard to break down Rory offers us nothing. It was evident against the part timers from wales. NOT once did he make a run in behind or take the defender away to allow space in the middle of the park for someone else to create. So you can get off your high horse pal. I’m not 100% against him and I actually praised him after the rangers game because of his hard work ethics.

Using the Nomads as an example, since we all have it seared into our minds forever and mostly because there's easily accessible highlights on the Kilmarnock sight that shows every chance we made.

First half:

- Mackenzie's set piece delivery made the first chance of the game, ball to the back post, ball broke across (can't remember who headered it across, Findlay missed the chance when it came to him

- MacKenzie spun when receiving the ball about 40 yards out, drove past two defenders, drew the centre half to him before laying it left to Taylor who missed an absolute sitter.  McKenzie also followed up the rebound which the keeper saved (in fairness, he could have placed his finish better, but certainly wasn't a sitter like Taylor's).

- MacKenzie's set piece delivery at the corner is perfect, straight to Broadfoot's head without Broadfoot even having to jump, Broadfoot misses a sitter

- MacKenzie, again receiving the ball about 40 yards out, plays an inch-perfect ball inside the fullback to Burke, who just needs to cut it across to Brophy for a tap-in but puts it too close to the sliding defender who intercepts (Burke gets the rebound and sclaffs wide

- MacKenzie at the heart of a sweeping pass-and-move sequence with three key passes, creating two chance for O'Donnell (the first in fairness being mostly down to O'Donnell's flair, the second McKenzie spotting him in space again after it gets recycled after the first shot.

Second Half:

- MacKenzie plays it to Brophy's feet, spins the defender and moves for the return, all Brophy has to do is return it and MacKenzie just has the keeper to beat from about 10 yards.  Brophy instead once again smacks it against the defenders shins from a yard away.

- MacKenzie's set piece delivery from a free kick puts it on a plate for Broadfoot again, Broadfoot hits the bar.

If you don't believe me, all but the first example from the second half are on the highlights.  You'll note from the highlights that in spite of the plaudits Burke (rightly) got, it's MacKenzie at the heart of almost every chance we created.  So you can claim all you like that he's not creative against the stodgy teams, but there's empirical proof that he was in fact the most creative player we had in that game.

Edited by Lorielus

On 8/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, CB said:

Sammon was inexplicably played out on the right wing under JJ & Brown. Mixu played him as a centre forward and the goals came.

Brophy isn't a lone striker. He needs AN Other up front with him.

Not inexplicable at all. He would have got NO game time or, at very best, a late sub apearance, due to Kevin Kyle being the 1st choice striker. I doubt very much if anyone  would have chosen Sammon over Kyle at that stage of his career but it does show the faith that JJ & BB had in him.

1 hour ago, Lorielus said:

That's because your premise is faulty, so there is no counterargument without granting your premise.

Using the Nomads as an example, since we all have it seared into our minds forever and mostly because there's easily accessible highlights on the Kilmarnock sight that shows every chance we made.

First half:

- Mackenzie's set piece delivery made the first chance of the game, ball to the back post, ball broke across (can't remember who headered it across, Findlay missed the chance when it came to him

- MacKenzie spun when receiving the ball about 40 yards out, drove past two defenders, drew the centre half to him before laying it left to Taylor who missed an absolute sitter.  McKenzie also followed up the rebound which the keeper saved (in fairness, he could have placed his finish better, but certainly wasn't a sitter like Taylor's).

- MacKenzie's set piece delivery at the corner is perfect, straight to Broadfoot's head without Broadfoot even having to jump, Broadfoot misses a sitter

- MacKenzie, again receiving the ball about 40 yards out, plays an inch-perfect ball inside the fullback to Burke, who just needs to cut it across to Brophy for a tap-in but puts it too close to the sliding defender who intercepts (Burke gets the rebound and sclaffs wide

- MacKenzie at the heart of a sweeping pass-and-move sequence with three key passes, creating two chance for O'Donnell (the first in fairness being mostly down to O'Donnell's flair, the second McKenzie spotting him in space again after it gets recycled after the first shot.

Second Half:

- MacKenzie plays it to Brophy's feet, spins the defender and moves for the return, all Brophy has to do is return it and MacKenzie just has the keeper to beat from about 10 yards.  Brophy instead once again smacks it against the defenders shins from a yard away.

- MacKenzie's set piece delivery from a free kick puts it on a plate for Broadfoot again, Broadfoot hits the bar.

If you don't believe me, all but the first example from the second half are on the highlights.  You'll note from the highlights that in spite of the plaudits Burke (rightly) got, it's MacKenzie at the heart of almost every chance we created.  So you can claim all you like that he's not creative against the stodgy teams, but there's empirical proof that he was in fact the most creative player we had in that game.

Love it when hard evidence gets used against opinion.  McKenzie is certainly the new Fowler, every manager picks him but a large section of the support would prefer him dumped.

9 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

Love it when hard evidence gets used against opinion.  McKenzie is certainly the new Fowler, every manager picks him but a large section of the support would prefer him dumped.

Also love it when someone uses “hard evidence” and misses out facts to suit their agenda. 

For their first goal he “tracked back” failing to make a challenge to stop the cross coming in.

Countless times ran towards Taylor instead of running into space. (This sort of thing has been noted by other posters on a regular basis).

Punted the ball needlessly straight to an opposing player then pulls him down. Yellow card.

4 minutes to go, canny even throw the ball. Foul throw.

Again diverting from the original point that I made. But hey ho. Let’s go back to slating our only striker who gets next to hee haw service.

Edited by Guff92

3 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Also love it when someone uses “hard evidence” and misses out facts to suit their agenda. 

For their first goal he “tracked back” failing to make a challenge to stop the cross coming in.

Countless times ran towards Taylor instead of running into space. (This sort of thing has been noted by other posters on a regular basis).

Punted the ball needlessly straight to an opposing player then pulls him down. Yellow card.

4 minutes to go, canny even throw the ball. Foul throw.

Again diverting from the original point that I made. But hey ho. Let’s go back to slating our only striker who gets next to hee haw service.

Those are some swifty moved goalposts right there.  You said it was evident against the part-timers from Wales that he offers nothing to help us break down a team.  I've provided the evidence that, in fact, he was the best from our entire team at doing just that against the part-timers from Wales.

Also, I didn't say I had hard evidence, I said empirical evidence, those are two different things - neither of which you've offered to support your directly-refuted argument that he wasn't creative against Nomads.  You asked for a counter-argument, I gave you one  - your position is not rational.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:26 AM, NorfolkG said:

I liked Sammon from day 1 - his potential seemed fairly obvious - but Brophy is a lot better. He has had a lean start to the season but service has been really poor.

He battles well as a lone striker but it clearly isn’t his game.

Sammon circa 2010 + Brophy...

You clearly weren't at Stenhousemuir when he made his debut as a trialist.

Looked like he'd landed from the moon and had never seen a football before. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You clearly weren't at Stenhousemuir when he made his debut as a trialist.

Looked like he'd landed from the moon and had never seen a football before. 

Stenhousemuir in a friendly is too rich for my blood.

But in terms of competitive games, I felt his strength, pace and work rate were really impressive.

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For 3 months aye.

Rest he was hopeless 

Agree to disagree! I always liked him and the move south didn’t surprise me. Pre-Mixu we were total s**te; lots of players were poorly used in Jefferies’ last couple of years. But Sammon had some great raw attributes; he just needed coaching.

International caps did surprise me, to be fair.