Iconic signings

Mogwai

15 hours ago, Comeonkillie said:

Everytime I see or hear the name Robert Reilly I think of a "worldy" last minute winner against East Fife. My memory was it was a cracker but I was only 13 at the time and maybe looking through rose tinted spectacles. Can anyone confirm?

Was having a howler and getting dogs abuse all game. Hit the winner and by God did he let us know! He was absolutely raging!!!! Straight up to the main stand, everyone suddenly loved him and it was HE who was shouting dogs abuse at US!!!! Great days :DxD:hurrah:

Fascinating topic, but I would have to stick with the very specific definition of iconic.

So it is not the best signing, it is the one that is immediately sums of the characteristics of that manager and his tenure.

So on that basis:

Clark: any right back  (immediately representing the chaotic transfer strategy)

McCulloch: Power (representative of all the good signings he identified but didn't manage effectively)

Clarke: Mulumbu is an obvious one (representing the way the club gained a new energy and new respect) but Bachmann is another good shout (achieved results that were way beyond what was expected, made Killie hard to beat, and we would be better if he was able to stay for longer than he did)

Edited by Jon

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Fascinating topic, but I would have to stick with the very specific definition of iconic.

So it is not the best signing, it is the one that is immediately sums of the characteristics of that manager and his tenure.

So on that basis:

Clark: any right back  (immediately representing the chaotic transfer strategy)

McCulloch: Power (representative of all the good signings he identified but didn't manage effectively)

Clarke: Mulumbu is an obvious one (representing the way the club gained a new energy and new respect) but Bachmann is another good shout (achieved results that were way beyond what was expected, made Killie hard to beat, and we would be better if he was able to stay for longer than he did)

That’s way too smart for this forum! 

In that vein I would choose: 

Locke: any ex-Hearts player. Representing the way he signed any ex-Hearts player

5 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Eddie Morrison - rashid sarwar ( rare to see an Asian in the game back then)

who was our first black player? I remember a stocky black winger in the late 80s..Michael something?

Michael McArthur, I think.  Jim Fleeting was convinced that he would become Scotland's first black international player.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:46 AM, fraz65 said:

It's interesting the revisionism towards some players.

I remember Danny as being a fairly limited wide player, who was one of the weaker links in the side. Others seem to hold him in higher esteem. 

He always seemed to play the next week no matter how bad he was. However his goal tally is one of the highest of any player since we came back up, largely based on being here a while and knocking in half a dozen a season.

27 minutes ago, Bodgdan said:

He always seemed to play the next week no matter how bad he was. However his goal tally is one of the highest of any player since we came back up, largely based on being here a while and knocking in half a dozen a season.

Danny was a strange player, I liked him and was a good servant to the club but for me he was whatever the opposite of the phrase "greater than the sum of his parts" is, massively frustrating at times

Strong, pacey, good strong shot, great in the air, above average dribbler,  amazing fitness, good defensive work rate even on a bad day, lovely hair...just somehow didn't all quite click into a great footballer

35 minutes ago, dasboag said:

Danny was a strange player, I liked him and was a good servant to the club but for me he was whatever the opposite of the phrase "greater than the sum of his parts" is, massively frustrating at times

Strong, pacey, good strong shot, great in the air, above average dribbler,  amazing fitness, good defensive work rate even on a bad day, lovely hair...just somehow didn't all quite click into a great footballer

Always liked him; regularly frustrated by him.