Accies home. BetFred, Fred

CB

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We don't have any scouting, they all quit!

I take it their recommendations weren't being listened to as the new team decided to go down the route of agent recommends, so there was little point to them staying on?

30 minutes ago, boydiesback said:

I think you are wrong here. In any walk of life a new manager is expected to bring in his ideas and things he’s learned from his previous experience and change things. Certainly in any of the senior management roles I’ve had I’ve been expected to bring fresh ideas to the organisation. Football is no different. 

Who would have taken the job on the remit if you have to copy exactly what the last manager did??

SC made the jump from coach to manager at some stage in his career so why can’t we give AA the benefit of the doubt that he can do the same

Yes, you’re expected to bring fresh new ideas, and not just copy previous manager. Bit it depends on context: were you hired into a team because of problems with previous manager (more change needed faster) or because previous incumbent was a success and moved up (less change needed slower).

In a high performing team the expectation is also that you provide stability, get to understand your team and only slowly introduce change which is really needed.

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. The point remains - a new boss in any role should take care not to undo previous success. 

Edited by Travis

43 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

I was also trying to make sense of what was going on on the park in that game I dont think I am as negative about it as some, but there are concerns.

SOD did not seem to know whether he was coming or going for most of that game. Has he been told not to overlap or only to go forward in certain circumstances, has he been told to look to move infield or was that just chance? By coming infield so often he was also not well placed to deal with counterattacks down "his" side.

Taylor was doing exactly the same thing so the communication to the fullbacks has to be an area of concern. 

Both had quite a few good chances to push forward or overlap wide midfielder only to suddenly cut back and slow play down. O’Donnell then offloaded to Broadfoot and Taylor to Findlay meaning our two central defenders were on the ball constantly and under pressure to find forward passes. 

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Yes, you’re expected to bring fresh new ideas, and not just copy previous manager. Bit it depends on context: we’re you hired into a team because of problems with previous manager (more change needed faster) or because previous incumbent was a success and moved up (less change needed slower).

In a high performing team the expectation is also that you provide stability, get to understand your team and only slowly introduce change which is really needed.

Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. The point remains - a new boss in any role should take care not to undo previous success. 

spot on. I've seen plenty of "new managers" come and inevitably go in my career to back this up. Change for changes sake is wrong. Fresh ideas are great but you have to make sure that these ideas are applicable and are going to work with the tools you have. You have to assess where you are, whats around you and and then make the changes as you see fit. 

5 minutes ago, Travis said:

Yes, you’re expected to bring fresh new ideas, and not just copy previous manager. Bit it depends on context: we’re you hired into a team because of problems with previous manager (more change needed faster) or because previous incumbent was a success and moved up (less change needed slower).

What has been undone? We're trying to remain compact but we showed at Hamilton away that if we retain the 4-5-1 shape then we don't have the creativity to come close to scoring. The manager made some positive tactical changes on Saturday by going with 2 up front and it just got us over the line. If we'd gone with more of the same with 4-5-1 the chances are we'd have risked the same fate.

Hamilton in the cup has never been an easy tie and to come away the better side and with a slim victory is a good result.

Just now, Fletch said:

What has been undone? We're trying to remain compact but we showed at Hamilton away that if we retain the 4-5-1 shape then we don't have the creativity to come close to scoring. The manager made some positive tactical changes on Saturday by going with 2 up front and it just got us over the line. If we'd gone with more of the same with 4-5-1 the chances are we'd have risked the same fate.

Hamilton in the cup has never been an easy tie and to come away the better side and with a slim victory is a good result.

From my perspective the thing that looked ‘undone’ was the organisation of the team. Formation is really only the visible end point of that and the bit that fans will more obviously see. 

But the day-to-day of coaching is drilling people to do the same thing well until it becomes second nature. So when x has the ball there you go there; when you get the ball you do this etc. 

Particularly at our level that’s the stuff that makes a difference and it’s essentially what people meant when they said SC had a well organised team. 

I thought to many players looked less than certain about what was expected of them which led to things breaking down. Now, on a positive note, that ought to be an issue we can recover from relatively quickly if coaching of changed expectations is effective over coming weeks.

My tuppence worth (probably all it's worth) after first game I've been at since CQN is that several good players are just slightly off form and I guess that could be explained by an uncertainty in the coaching instructions but would that make: Findlay slice the ball over his own bar, Burke put a cross straight out for a goal kick, Brophy hit the corner flag with a shot etc etc.  With a bigger squad players could be rested and it seemed to work with Dicker who rather than going in the huff put in an energetic shift when he came on. 

What pleased me was the effort the players put in, no hint of not playing for the manager from what I saw. I also thought the fans were very supportive and stood by the team throughout what was although a very average game was not as bad as some have made out. 

Hopefully individual form will come back quickly and a couple of fresh faces will stimulate that change.       

I'm trying to imagine the response on this forum if our goalkeeper had started time wasting from his first goal kick in a cup tie. Not only that but they deservedly lost the game. It might be a tactic used to frustrate Celtic and Sevco, but using it against a team that you had beaten the previous week is pathetic. We hadn't won a domestic game, our confidence was low, yet they sat back and waited for one chance or taking the game to penalties. This we are lead to believe is the new, more positive, Hamilton. The sooner this mob are relegated the better, they bring nothing to the top division. 

24 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

I'm trying to imagine the response on this forum if our goalkeeper had started time wasting from his first goal kick in a cup tie. Not only that but they deservedly lost the game. It might be a tactic used to frustrate Celtic and Sevco, but using it against a team that you had beaten the previous week is pathetic. We hadn't won a domestic game, our confidence was low, yet they sat back and waited for one chance or taking the game to penalties. This we are lead to believe is the new, more positive, Hamilton. The sooner this mob are relegated the better, they bring nothing to the top division. 

Totally agree. The GK-timewaste is their huddle: cringe-worthy when they started it years ago... but why the f**k is it still going on!?

36 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

I know this might be a minority view but

I hate them more than the Old Firm.