The dugs abuse XI

Scooby_Doo

50 minutes ago, Mcdee said:

Tommy Tait, we actually had a nickname for a guy that went to the games at that time, he was known as the F@@@ sake Tait guy

When the programme ran a nickname competition, his was Tammy Tae-bash Tait, or 'Mr A Plant'

10 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I thought that while we're waiting for a new signing that we can pick apart and complain that 'he'll no dae', I thought I'd try and come up with a team of Killie players who got a lot of abuse, but crucially weren't actually that bad. I'm struggling though, especially with defenders. 

Goalie:

Defence:

Fowler (only when at RB), Scott Boyd, Greer

Midfield:

Invincibile Tshibola McKenzie

Strikers:

Magennis Nish

Subs:

Wales, McSwegan

Remember, I'm not talking about players who were utter dogs**t. That's easy. I'm talking about players who were often treated like dogs**t despite not being that bad. 

Since the rules are that it’s who got dogs’ abuse but were actually very decent, Colin Nish has to win this thread hands down. Oh, what we’d give for him right now. 

Gary Harkins and Danny Invincibile definitely got far more of a hard time than they deserved. And Burke and Bagan both got more than their fair share of moaning. And Billy Stark used to get a lot of moaning even though he rarely put a foot wrong  

Basically the rules appear to be, Killie fans will moan if: you don’t look like a stereotypical football for your position; you’re too wee; you’re too big; your hair is too long; you’re going a bit bald; you play out wide so are easier to moan at; you sign for Killie and don’t instantly play like Maldini, Zidane or Messi. 

Harkins, Danny, Burke etc have been some of my favourite players so the moans must make me love them. 

Edited by Travis

Another shining example just came to mind! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

Mark Reilly. 

A top notch holding midfielder practically before holding midfielders were even recognised as a thing. Won the ball back all day long, kept it simple, and gave the ball to more creative players to do their thing. 

But was constantly a target for the great Scottish ‘get it furrit!’ brand of football expert that we churn out by the dozen. 

10 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Ian Bryson got dogs abuse at one time but was a good player for Killie. Remember standing on the terracing listening to a group laying into him at every opportunity, Bryson picked the ball up in midfield and they started, he carried it forward and slammed it into the top corner from 25yds and the first thing they said was "you think that will shut us up? You're still s**te!!

Fell into the 'doesn't quite look right' category. Looked too much like a farmer. Literally was a farmer. Terrific player who played in the top flight in England with Sheffield United. I lived in London in the early 90s and befriended a rabid Blades fan. They absolutely loved Bryson, and yet he wasn't appreciated at Killie.

As posted by others, Holt initially and Mavis Reilly for way, way too long were targets for abuse.

We can be quite a negative bunch when we put our minds to it.

30 minutes ago, Ayrshire Killie said:

Fell into the 'doesn't quite look right' category. Looked too much like a farmer. Literally was a farmer. Terrific player who played in the top flight in England with Sheffield United. I lived in London in the early 90s and befriended a rabid Blades fan. They absolutely loved Bryson, and yet he wasn't appreciated at Killie.

I’m not sure what farmers are supposed to look like but he always seemed like a whippet to me! 

I don’t know that he wasn’t appreciated but there was so few people at games you could probably have asked everyone’s opinion! 

I used to think that he stood out a mile in a team which was otherwise pretty rank. McGivern and McKinna, for example, were honest triers but not in Bryson’s class. 

18 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Jackson Irvine ? McKenzie?

McKenzie could take the other midfield spot.

Jackson was pretty dire for us but was mainly because he was played out of position just to shoe horn him into the team. He played numerous games at right back and right mid and a few disastrous games at centre back. A better manager would never have put him in that position. 

Edited by livvy

11 hours ago, Specs said:

My Pick:

Stevie Murray, Conor Sammon Andy McLaren, David Bagan, Jose Quitongo, Dylan Kerr, Vareille 

What I see there is a list of guys who got a lot MORE accolades than their talent demanded! 

Except McLaren. Did he really get abused? I’ve no recollection of that. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Except McLaren. Did he really get abused? I’ve no recollection of that. 

I liked McLaren and thought he was great for us, the couple of seasons we had him, but for some reason I just remember him getting abuse - maybe that was more the opposition as he was an easy target.

Also, if the thread was titled “The Drugs Abuse XI” he’d definitely be first name on the team sheet! 

Edited by Specs

22 hours ago, skygod said:

I think the idea of the OP was players who were actually quite good, yet were still abused.

The thread seems to have drifted into listing players who were pure guff.

Tommy Tait was not pure guff he was the ball winning midfielder and a main stay in the team at the time and also who could forget that goal against the scum at scumerset