jazza

Celtic outcast Jack Hendry is being eyed by Motherwell and Kilmarnock as he looks to end his Hoops frustration.

The Premiership pair have expressed an interest in the centre-back who has not made a single appearance under Neil Lennon.

Hendry is surplus to requirements at the champions but had the potential chance to move to Hull Cityearlier this month.

But Celtic stalled on the offer and then went back asking for more money. By that time, though, the Tigers had already moved on to another target.

With the English window now closed, the 24-year-old’s options are now limited.

The problem for Celtic is that if he moves to a Premiership rival such as Motherwell or Killie then Celtic would have to subsidise the majority of the player’s wages

There could also be the possibility of a move to Europe, where most of their transfer windows are open for the rest of this month.

A possible escape route is to German where there is initial interest but Hendry is waiting to see if that is firmed up.

Brendan Rodgers signed Hendry from Dundee in January last year.

The central defender made an instant impression and was a Celtic and Scotland regular but in the second half of last season he dropped out of both fronts.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jack-hendry-transfer-fight-celtic-18972539

If we got the Dundee type Jack Hendry, then good. Although his confidence seems to be at rock bottom now so not so sure. 

4 minutes ago, jazza said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jack-hendry-transfer-fight-celtic-18972539

If we got the Dundee type Jack Hendry, then good. Although his confidence seems to be at rock bottom now so not so sure. 

I think he’d be a decent signing. The lad has been written off and will be hungry to go out and prove himself. Similar to how he some felt he came back up the road to Dundee as a failure and he went out and earned the move to Celtic. 

Id be more inclined to address more problematic positions first. With three CBs, Dicker and Wilson on the books I don’t see this as a priority at the moment. 

1 minute ago, piffer said:

Id be more inclined to address more problematic positions first. With three CBs, Dicker and Wilson on the books I don’t see this as a priority at the moment. 

I agree not a priority but if we aren’t going to score many goals then let’s make sure we don’t concede any. AA to bring in 3 more centre hawfs before deadline day. #rocksolid 

I hope someone at the club is forward planning because next summer could see a huge rebuild.

Branescu, O’Donnell, Broadfoot, Bruce, Dicker and Burke will surely be away and the club might cash in on Findlay, Taylor and Brophy. 

We need to be thinking about the type of player we recruit and Hendry would seem to be in the right age range.

I don’t see how we could finance a deal though without someone going the other way. 

Would take him in a heartbeat. In fact I’ve been harping on about him for months as a possible option for loan... a transfer would be even better. A lot of folk don’t appreciate how big a step up it must be playing in front of 60,000 with every mistake micro-analysed. For us he would be superb next to Findlay and would leave us with four Scottish international quality defenders in our back line. 

1 minute ago, Bullitt said:

Would take him in a heartbeat. In fact I’ve been harping on about him for months as a possible option for loan... a transfer would be even better. A lot of folk don’t appreciate how big a step up it must be playing in front of 60,000 with every mistake micro-analysed. For us he would be superb next to Findlay and would leave us with four Scottish international quality defenders in our back line. 

Agreed. Just look at Teemu Pukki. Written off as a dud at Celtic now the star of the opening weeks of the Premiership season. It’s very, very easy to be written of there because there is an absolute demand for instant success. 

Hendry was probably put into the Celtic and Scotland defence before he was ready and it’s done him no good whatsoever, but there’s clearly a good young talented defender there if the right club can nurture him. Would be very pleased if it was us. 

7 hours ago, skygod said:

I don’t see how we could finance a deal though without someone going the other way. 

I wonder how much of what Celtic do with Hendry this season is just saving face. If he hadn't gone there with that price tag I think he'd just be quietly released. 

Subsidise a fair portion of wages then release next summer coild be the plan? 

Wouldn’t pay. Amazed Hull offered ‘big money’. Doubt it.

I do feel there is a player in there but the games I’ve seen - I watched him play a good few 90 minutes - he thinks he is Beckenbauer where as he’s more Sauzee when he was 40: still good but not as good as he thinks. He tries to stroll games and makes huge errors as a result.

If a permanent deal, great. We need a succession plan. If a loan, I wouldn’t bother - we have three very capable CBs already.

13 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Wouldn’t pay. Amazed Hull offered ‘big money’. Doubt it.

I do feel there is a player in there but the games I’ve seen - I watched him play a good few 90 minutes - he thinks he is Beckenbauer where as he’s more Sauzee when he was 40: still good but not as good as he thinks. He tries to stroll games and makes huge errors as a result.

If a permanent deal, great. We need a succession plan. If a loan, I wouldn’t bother - we have three very capable CBs already.

Broadfoot is done IMO and Bruce isn’t a spring chicken. Hendry would improve us and potentially be a great partner for Findlay 

Edited by Mojike and Bod

3 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Broadfoot is done IMO and Bruce isn’t a spring chicken. Hendry would improve us and potentially be a great partner for Hendry 

Two Hendrys? Too tense.

I do agree - Broadfoot is not the player of the past couple of years. It might be confidence though.

If AA sees Hendry on loan as a certain starter then, yes, a good move. But loans from other SPL clubs is better avoided imo. We need our best team available every week.

lot of possibles in that press "story" -- as with many others recently wonder how much grains of truth is in it 

AA has said he would like another central defender but for me would depend on how much % of the wages we would have to stump up -- as ATM feel we are ok for cover in defence and the greater need for whatever budget is left would be to find at least one quality striker and a playmaker /no10 player

Oooohhh tough one!

Would take him as a player definitely but we are getting overloaded with defenders so not a priority position unless something is already lined up for one of our existing defenders to move on.

So not being in the know I say pass on him and concentrate that time and money on striker and creative midfielder

1 hour ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Broadfoot is done IMO and Bruce isn’t a spring chicken. Hendry would improve us and potentially be a great partner for Findlay 

Hendry is the type player alessio is trying to turn Findlay and broadfoot into. In the latter case it’s maybe old dog and new tricks. He carries the ball well and transitions from defence into midfield well. As others have said, he’s prone to mistakes - or he would not be mentioned in same sentence as Kilmarnock. 100% for me. Part of the puzzle.

1 hour ago, IMO said:

Oooohhh tough one!

Would take him as a player definitely but we are getting overloaded with defenders so not a priority position unless something is already lined up for one of our existing defenders to move on.

So not being in the know I say pass on him and concentrate that time and money on striker and creative midfielder

I think they will also be in the gaffers thoughts

I don't understand some of the negativity around Broadfoot … yes he's a bit older and not international class., if he was we would criticise him even more … just look at some of the comments around SOD on the forum. Findlay has been weaker of the 2 CB so far this season for me...

AA wants competition for each place in the team, last year SC commented that we ran without enough cover at CB and ended up using Dicker there.  so getting another CB in makes sense.

AA must see some attributes in Broadfoot as he picks him every week and wasn't he captain on Saturday.  I think he does a good job at our level and has been a great signing.

If a deal for Hendry can be made relatively cheaply then he can come onboard and fight for a place .. but keep the money for a creative midfielder and striker(s)

5 minutes ago, drmurray said:

I don't understand some of the negativity around Broadfoot … yes he's a bit older and not international class., if he was we would criticise him even more … just look at some of the comments around SOD on the forum. Findlay has been weaker of the 2 CB so far this season for me...

AA wants competition for each place in the team, last year SC commented that we ran without enough cover at CB and ended up using Dicker there.  so getting another CB in makes sense.

AA must see some attributes in Broadfoot as he picks him every week and wasn't he captain on Saturday.  I think he does a good job at our level and has been a great signing.

If a deal for Hendry can be made relatively cheaply then he can come onboard and fight for a place .. but keep the money for a creative midfielder and striker(s)

I agree he’s been terrific but he’s started the season weakly imo. As has Findlay, which really surprises me.