Squad v. Russia and Belgium

skygod

• 2 weeks later...

Found that game a really interesting comparison with our own start to the season. 

Does it maybe hammer home the point that Clarke's style only you gets you so far without a really talented striker or someone in the midfield doing those Mulumbu balls? I thought McGregor could do that, but maybe not quite that sort of player... 

Lacking of attacking plan was something I felt at times with him at Killie. Wonder if that is a weakness you can't have in group stage matches? 

I do think that style might suit the playoffs better to be fair. 

It was a lot more open than I thought it would be. Two wingers and two attacking fullbacks without the proper midfield cover. He picked IMO the three best midfielders we have but I’m not sure the way they were set up best suited the formation. 

I’m not sure the players have bought into it as much as the Killie players did initially. Perhaps some validity in what Boyd said about Killie players knowing what they were and that not being the case with Scotland. 

I thought O’Donnell was very slack and careless in possession but he kept making himself available and got better as the game went on. 

The OG was hardly his fault as the Russian broke from central midfield but he did seem to get caught very high up the pitch at times. 

McBurnie was pathetic and Phillips not much better. Lacking in the basics. 

But it was really a Scotland performance we’ve seen dozens of times before. 

Willie Miller is still bitter about his mate McLeish getting sacked. Absolutely pathetic person. 

Edited by skygod

Scotland need to commit to a manager for a couple of campaigns if we want to see any improvement. 

Steve Clarke's set up worked at Killie as he spent more time with the Killie players in two weeks than he has spent with the Scotland squad in three months. 

He'll get it right if he's given time and the media and fans don't hound him. 

Went to last night’s game and tonight’s. Can’t remember ever being this despondent about the national team.

Last night was limp; tonight was a f**king shambles.

And I’m putting myself through it again on Monday.

God knows why.

SC had a better gig here than with the SFA - a shower of bastards.