The Space & Astronomy Thread

Lroy

11 minutes ago, livvy said:

Venus rhymes with penis...everyone knows that is the most amusingly named planet of all the planets.

Reveal hidden contents

Waits for someone to pipe up with Uranus :12:

When William Herschel discovered Uranus he wanted to call it George. 

• 1 year later...

So, a year and a half on, landing rockets is a piece of piss.

Tomorrow, SpaceX are going to attempt to launch the biggest* rocket since the Apollo era from Florida. Three of the usual ones strapped together. Side boosters will return back to the launch pad for a simultaneous landing and the centre core will land on a boat out at sea.

Its cargo? Well usually on a test launch they would just carry concrete slabs or something. This one will be carrying a Tesla Roadster out to Mars. Like this:

Tune in tomorrow. It's either going to be amazing one way or another. I like rockets.

I'm liking this Elon Musk guy, world needs people like him. Not to bothered about this latest launch, more excited about what he has been saying about flying us around earth and the time it will take! e.g. Glasgow to New York 30 mins (or something like that, mibe quicker)

Red cards all round?

Someone's probably had a bad experience in their Nat 5, Higher or AH Physics prelim.

If so, a piece of advice: 

You probably didn't study well enough. 

Reading over your notes isn't enough. You need to do model papers and past papers. They have free ones on the SQA website for every subject and level.

Remember to practise the Open Ended questions, but also remember they're only 3 marks each. 

The only thing to beat nerves is preparation: Practise practise, practise. 

Ask your teacher about good exam technique. 

Revision can be boring, so remember to take breaks. Don't study the easy bits, focus on the scariest bits and ask your teacher for help.

And take it from me and everyone else who ever failed an exam, feeling bored is miles better than feeling disappointed in yourself. 

Remember how angry and embarrassed you feel and channel this into action, i.e. make your own short notes and if you can, teach someone the tricky bits - mums, dads, grannies and grampas ALL love this. Seriously. ALL of them.

And practise, practise, practise.

And if you genuinely don't like Elon Musk and Space travel, or think it's a waste of time/money, then that's your opinion. You just couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.

On 07/02/2018 at 10:15 PM, Gallus said:

I'm liking this Elon Musk guy, world needs people like him. Not to bothered about this latest launch, more excited about what he has been saying about flying us around earth and the time it will take! e.g. Glasgow to New York 30 mins (or something like that, mibe quicker)

This is what I'd like to think. However, I can't get rid of the nagging thing at the back of my mind that he's a Bond villain. Or Hans Gruber. 

• 1 year later...

Couldn't find the astronomy thread.  Sunday night at about 2200 was looking at Jupiter in the west and to the left Saturn. Didn't realise it was Saturn at the time til a pal told me. Anyway, either side of Saturn were two "stars". I said to my partner that's Orions belt and then thought that wasn't quite right. Before our eyes both "stars" either side of Saturn started to move slowly upwards. In a few seconds they were both gone. Never seen anything like it! They were definetly static at first. Very odd! Any views? 

2 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Couldn't find the astronomy thread.  Sunday night at about 2200 was looking at Jupiter in the west and to the left Saturn. Didn't realise it was Saturn at the time til a pal told me. Anyway, either side of Saturn were two "stars". I said to my partner that's Orions belt and then thought that wasn't quite right. Before our eyes both "stars" either side of Saturn started to move slowly upwards. In a few seconds they were both gone. Never seen anything like it! They were definetly static at first. Very odd! Any views? 

good gear!

Was on Lewis ( Hebrides ) a few years ago camping with my son.. the place to be for dark skies...camera was in the boot of my car and after a few beers couldn't be bothered walking up a hill yo get it..next night Twas cloudy...must have been a million stars and planets ...would have been good for your telescope..