The Space & Astronomy Thread

Lroy

13 hours ago, Lroy said:

In what context. Movement of stars over time?

Right away from the constant sky-glow near all our population centres everything is just more visible.

You can see the Milky Way clear as a bell. The planets are clearly much brighter than (nearly) the stars. It must have been just so much easier to take an interest.

6 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Right away from the constant sky-glow near all our population centres everything is just more visible.

You can see the Milky Way clear as a bell. The planets are clearly much brighter than (nearly) the stars. It must have been just so much easier to take an interest.

Yeah, but I was talking about dark sky areas. They are areas distant from population centres where there is no light pollution. 

Galloway Forest is a bit closer than Kleider Observatory..prices for Kleider are reasonable but as Lroy says the weather can ruin your visit..might look at a telescope after I get back into Fly Fishing after a 48 year gap...in the process of researching a Fly Rods..might add a telescope into the research as well..:19:

Edited by kilm53

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought you guys be interested. I used to live in a village in Shropshire called Knockin. Just along from the Knockin shop as it happens which I visited every day. Anyway, just around the corner close to the cricket pitch is this little beastie! I was told if you climb the fence there would be fast police response so not sure fully what it's used for!!! 

gettyimages-143279058-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Shropshire_killie
Spelling

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I was told if you climb the fence there would be fast police response so not sure fully what it's used for!!! 

A radio telescope that is part of "The Merlin Project" network all over the UK. Not part of a military listening station like Fylingdales on the Yorkshire moors (allegedly).

On 9/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, Lroy said:

Elon Musk giving an update on his Mars rocket tonight. MK1 test vehicle is currently being built in a field in Texas at the moment. Here's what it looks like today. That's just the upper stage. The booster will make it much bigger than the Saturn V.

IMG_20190928_174406.jpg.a00b5c42a7c05a46d7b8d3542259331c.jpg

1740291020_SpaceXStarshipSuperHeavycomparedtoSaturnVFalcon9byKimiTalvitie2.jpg.4d504938463c1a20d609e8507ce2aa83.jpg

Looks like a rocket from a 1940s sci-fi movie.

12 hours ago, gdevoy said:

A radio telescope that is part of "The Merlin Project" network all over the UK. Not part of a military listening station like Fylingdales on the Yorkshire moors (allegedly).

Theres a military base a couple of mile's down the lane from it and you quite often see squaddies running about..  (The dish is just above the fishery on attachment). The whole area has old munitions sheds stretching for a few miles south some used by farmers now.  I think Shropshire does have dark skies but not sure if that is relevant to radio scopes. Nearby at Criggion is an old dismantled radio mast site that the Russians had as a target in the event of nuclear war. If you climb the hill at Criggion up to Admiral Rodney's pillar you can see the Jodrell Bank dish on a clear day. 

Screenshot_20191002-100246_Maps.jpg

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I dont think so gdevoy. Its called a fast radio burst. Been reading a bit more about it and it could be something turning round in an orbit hence the regular emissions. They dont know for sure though what is causing it

I found the article on the sciencealert.com website.

It seems pulsars are definitely rotating neutron stars. The EM emissions from them have periods of only up to a few seconds.

Fast Radio Bursts, while also presenting as bursts of EM radiation are completely different. They can be totally random, or in this case periodic with periods of several days. Nobody seems to know what causes them but they are thought to be extra-galactic.

Some folks think they could be an indication of extra-terrestrial life but I am going to need a wee bit more convincing.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

I found the article on the sciencealert.com website.

It seems pulsars are definitely rotating neutron stars. The EM emissions from them have periods of only up to a few seconds.

Fast Radio Bursts, while also presenting as bursts of EM radiation are completely different. They can be totally random, or in this case periodic with periods of several days. Nobody seems to know what causes them but they are thought to be extra-galactic.

Some folks think they could be an indication of extra-terrestrial life but I am going to need a wee bit more convincing.

Jolly interesting though!  Every16.35 days is pretty accurate timing.