The Space & Astronomy Thread

Lroy

1 hour ago, EKX16 said:

Just watched The Dish starring Sam Neil a cracking film. When I was in primary school a teacher asked me what job I would like to do and I answered an astronaut,that didn't pan out and ended up a postman.

Is that the one where the ozzie guys helped out in the moon landing?  If so it's a cracking film.

• 2 weeks later...

A summary of tonight's space events,

43 Starlink satellites, facing in a Southerly direction, should see them passing over from West to East, about 21:30 and again around 23:00.

Lyrids meteor shower, anytime after dusk.

Falcon 9 rocket launch, should be visible across the UK around 20:45-50

A nite for lying in the hot tub with a wee Havana and looking at the stars xD

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

Falcon 9 rocket launch, should be visible across the UK around 20:45-50

This was great. Watched it lift off from Florida on YouTube then fly over 20mins later. Might be passing over again about 10:25 low in the sky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SpaceX launching humans to the ISS on Wednesday (weather permitting). First manned launch from the US since 2011. First brand fully-new manned spacecraft since the shuttle in 1980s. Only the 2nd fully-new manned spacecraft since Apollo and the moon landings. 

37 minutes ago, CB said:

Aren't we meant to be getting one of the spaceports here? Or, is that Branson?

Prestwick is/was down and one of the potential launch sites for Virgin Orbit. They had their first demo mission in the US this week and it failed. I think they are more likely to pick Cornwall for their UK base if they have one.

Sutherland is getting a proper ground launched rocket space port. I'm not sure if they have a launch provider signed up but it sounds like it'll be a smallsatsat launcher like NZ based Electron.

• 1 month later...