Deadline Day Deals

KillieFC

3 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

Gutted that we’ve brought in 4 months of cover from an experienced striker to allow us to scope for better options over the next while and into the next transfer window.

I don't think that is an achievement to be particularly proud of. It was evident since May that we needed more up front so kicking the can down the road for another four months is not exactly a great solution. If we couldn't attract a better quality of player now I'm not convinced that we will do so in January.

I think the strong feeling from fans is that we couldn't get anyone else and we have simply signed Sow as a last minute stop gap not as part of any longer term strategy to enable us to do somehting more in the next window.

22 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

May has the personal connection to St Johnstone, so I would expect him to choose them over us regardless of where the two clubs are in the league - we'd be annoyed if Mulumbu showed up at Pittodrie for example, despite that making more sense financially etc. 

Like Bryson did for example. That's the sort of signing we should have been making.

Did I perhaps miss someone making a "silk purse" comment?

If no one has then I am truly disappointed.

To other matters it is clear that the board have over-promised and under-delivered.

Maybe some deals were expected to happen but never did and that is what was being referred to.

Lets hope they learn the lesson and temper their social media pronouncements.

They are only human and should be forgiven their foibles.

To those who feel that to even mention these foibles is "too much" or "entitlement" perhaps they need to put down the Kool-Aid.

42 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Most of us were. He was pretty handy before we signed him. He was then s**te for us. 

iirc Smith was on loan first before he was signed permanently and did pretty well during that loan so most of us probably were delighted when he was signed. 

He also had a very good record at Dunfermline.

For whatever reason, it didn't happen for him after we forked out £100k + for him. 

Edited by skygod

1 minute ago, skygod said:

iirc Smith was on loan first before he was signed permanently and did pretty well during that loan so most of us probably were delighted when he was signed. 

For whatever reason, it didn't happen for him after we forked our £100k + for him. 

Thats exactly how I remember it. 

4 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

Did I perhaps miss someone making a "silk purse" comment?

If no one has then I am truly disappointed.

To other matters it is clear that the board have over-promised and under-delivered.

Maybe some deals were expected to happen but never did and that is what was being referred to.

Lets hope they learn the lesson and temper their social media pronouncements.

They are only human and should be forgiven their foibles.

To those who feel that to even mention these foibles is "too much" or "entitlement" perhaps they need to put down the Kool-Aid.

Thats a balanced way to look at it. However the gripe with is with how some people are dealing with their disappointment. 

They way you have put things is how to do it. Not spitting feathers wanting folk hung and absolutely writing off new players before they have had a chance. 

I thinks it the real anti climax of it all that had really disappointed people. The fact it was going right to the last minute probably had people expecting some big name signing coming in.

If our summers work In trying to bring in a striker is a 4th choice loan player from the division below then I can understand why people are disappointed. What’s changed at Dundee Utd that we couldn’t have done this deal a while ago, they haven’t signed any strikers recently that I can see. It just all smacks of a desperation signing. He signed now though so let’s see how it plays out. 

I don’t think anyone can argue that though that we’ve done well in strengthening the other parts of the team. I’m sure another 1 or 2 free agents will come in as well hopefully to bolster our attacking midfield/striker options  

5 minutes ago, BigYin said:

I thinks it the real anti climax of it all that had really disappointed people. The fact it was going right to the last minute probably had people expecting some big name signing coming in.

If our summers work In trying to bring in a striker is a 4th choice loan player from the division below then I can understand why people are disappointed. What’s changed at Dundee Utd that we couldn’t have done this deal a while ago, they haven’t signed any strikers recently that I can see. It just all smacks of a desperation signing. He signed now though so let’s see how it plays out. 

I don’t think anyone can argue that though that we’ve done well in strengthening the other parts of the team. I’m sure another 1 or 2 free agents will come in as well hopefully to bolster our attacking midfield/striker options  

Would love to know if Sow was the gaffers idea or they had run out of ideas and he was put to him at the last minute. 

I don't think being disappointed in that signing smacks of entitlement, I think we as fans have every right to feel a bit disappointed. 

9 hours ago, Bobby14 said:

I’ve listen to the “bed wetter” “panic merchant” bulls**te for the last 2 months on this forum. 

If anybody can can honestly say they’re impressed with our ins and outs in this window then they’re kidding themselves. 

As for the press releases (or lack of), the 150th anniversary celebrations (or lack of) or European football (or lack of) it seems like we’ve stepped back 18 months. 

Was good while it lasted tho eh? 

The people who promoted the bed wetter theme are wrong. They’re the same people who are usually proven wrong every time. 

17 minutes ago, skygod said:

For whatever reason, it didn't happen for him after we forked out £100k + for him. 

Loan initially. Scored against hibs in his third game on the 27th of december. Signed for 130k. Scored his second goal for us against st johnstone on the 21st of May. Loaned out to Ross Co.

16 minutes ago, TTF said:

It’s been a solid if unspectacular window in my opinion with the scope to maybe add a wee bit genuine quality through a free agent(s). 

The biggest bonus was only losing Greg Taylor. I had a fear another big name could have left late on. 

Looking at the bigger picture for this season ,although we have lost GT we are well covered defensively, middle of the park we still need another attacking midfield player with the ability to pass the ball forward. Upfront we are still minus a player with ability above Dundee Utd reserves level. We now have 10 days before our next competitive match .Lets make use of them.There will still be decent players out there looking at their options . What are we going to do with the transfer cash we received yesterday ? Surely we can invest in players who are now out of contract and available .To ALL KILLIE fans  lets be positive. We are one victory away from Hampden and two away from another cup final.  Let's all look forward to another successful season

30 minutes ago, historyman said:

Like Bryson did for example. That's the sort of signing we should have been making.

There’s plenty on here complaining too many of our signed players are at the wrong end of their careers. Would adding another because he once played for us be the correct decision? 

54 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

O'Hara is fair enough - but he's maybe looker at Dicker, Power, El Mek, Kiltie and the St Clair news and thought he might not play. Motherwell signed loads of wingers but are light in the centre. 

If O’Hara had read some of the stuff on here, I’m not surprised he signed for Motherwell. 

45 minutes ago, Fudger said:

And another point whilst we are moaning and having a go, why the hell did we let Calum Waters leave when it was bloody obvious Greg Taylor was going to leave. Another really poor decision. 

Maybe he’s not rated. Maybe he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be here. Maybe he’s disruptive. Maybe it’s none of these. Whatever it is, I hardly think it’s a huge loss. There’ll be plenty of left backs still looking for a club this morning 

Edited by Zorro

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Cathy doesn't exactly inspire confidence that she knows what she's doing. 

She's obviously a genuine Killie fan and a nice lady but some of us paid £25 a month for her to represent us at board level and she just teased the fans on twitter over Osman Sow. 

Screenshot_20190903-104203_Twitter.jpg

I bet Christmas morning is fun in the Jamieson house... not

41 minutes ago, historyman said:

Yep, thats fair. Wonder what happened there. But that one does feel like a bit of a casualty to the managerial change. Aberdeen seem to have pounced while we were sorting out a manager and he was assessing the squad.

My feeling is that the change of manager, however it was handled, is actually the biggest factor here. 

Suspect if we had a settled manager we would have guys like Bryson in and maybe a few of the signings of the like Motherwell made. 

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Alessio's signings so far have bee good - it may be that we are better off in the long term. 

1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

I'm always wary of that analysis though, lot of factors at play. 

Dundee United have chucked money at Shankland that no Premiership side, not just us, we're willing to pay. 

May has the personal connection to St Johnstone, so I would expect him to choose them over us regardless of where the two clubs are in the league - we'd be annoyed if Mulumbu showed up at Pittodrie for example, despite that making more sense financially etc. 

O'Hara is fair enough - but he's maybe looker at Dicker, Power, El Mek, Kiltie and the St Clair news and thought he might not play. Motherwell signed loads of wingers but are light in the centre. 

It feels to me like the market has got tougher for Premiership sides. Other than guys like May and Walker moving because of a connection to clubs, there haven't been all that many signings that I'm jealous of in the sides around us. Lots of fans of other clubs seem to be as frustrated as us over signings. 

I refuse to believe that the market has changed radically from that of two years ago, when McCulloch made eight permanent signings, all of whom, with the exception of Higgins, were good signings for the club and most of whom are still here. 

What did we do differently in that window and how can we replicate it?

4 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Yep, thats fair. Wonder what happened there. But that one does feel like a bit of a casualty to the managerial change. Aberdeen seem to have pounced while we were sorting out a manager and he was assessing the squad.

My feeling is that the change of manager, however it was handled, is actually the biggest factor here. 

Suspect if we had a settled manager we would have guys like Bryson in and maybe a few of the signings of the like Motherwell made. 

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Alessio's signings so far have bee good - it may be that we are better off in the long term. 

Don’t necessarily agree we work on a shoestring budget and end up with the likes of Sow when Shankland would have been a better option. We have to accept that SSC was the glue who held the club together and now we have become unstuck with no real football contacts amongst the Board or CEO. 

The question of the budget keeps coming up but has never been answered. 

14 out 9 in. Take Bruce and Millar our the equation it’s 12 out 7in. 

We still look short in the striker department IMO. Not overly sure we have the central creativity we’ve craved. Possibly need cover at LB as well. 

I understand we can and probably will look at free agents but we shouldn’t be scrambling about looking desperate at this stage. 

Im generally happy with the business we’ve done so far though not with the manner and speed we’ve done it. Question marks over our choice of striker yesterday but desperate for him to prove me wrong. 

Gona be some day at Hampden when Sow scores the winner!

If we take a step back from the hysteria the squad is good, top 6 good and that's all we can ask. Sure we'd love a better striker etc. and Sow is underwhelming but if he acts as foil for a Brophy then who knows.

Whatever happened off the field over the summer has obviously affected our plans, and we should be looking at that side of things and having a shake up, on the field in quietly confident

8 minutes ago, Dan1el said:

Gona be some day at Hampden when Sow scores the winner!

If we take a step back from the hysteria the squad is good, top 6 good and that's all we can ask. Sure we'd love a better striker etc. and Sow is underwhelming but if he acts as foil for a Brophy then who knows.

Whatever happened off the field over the summer has obviously affected our plans, and we should be looking at that side of things and having a shake up, on the field in quietly confident

If he's that good he won't be at Hampden in May, he'll be gone in January. 

Here's my take.  It's a mildly disappointing window but not a disaster.  The loans from Italy look decent and decent use of Angelo's contact book (that said Del Fabro has been shopped around clubs all Summer for a loan so anyone could have got him, but the keeper looks to be because of Angelo as he wasn't made available to other clubs).  We replaced Taylor before he left although do look a bit light for cover with Waters away.  We kept all our players outwith Taylor after earlier in window rumours of Brophy and O'Donnell leaving.  

Deadline day was a little bit uninspiring I think given what it potentially could have been.  That said - perhaps we were only focussing on loans that had to get done and free agent signings will happen over the next week?  If so, it could turn the window into an excellent one.  

There's plenty of free agents still available (Dorrans, Mulumbu, Elliot Frear, Keillor-Dunn, Max Clayton, Craig Tanner etc who are likely fairly gettable (maybe not Mulumbu), along with other guys who would be worth asking about but unlikely - Ben Marshall, Josh Mceachran etc

I'm a wee bit disappointed we didn't play the English loan market a bit better.  Jordan Graham was available on loan from Wolves and would have done well out wide.  Ash Baker was available from Sheff Wed and would have covered full back positions for a bit more depth.  So I think we were a bit exposed with lack of knowledge in that market which is disappointing.

Going forward, it's clear that since Spearing left we're crying out for a Head of Recruitment type to ensure this kind of window doesn't happen again. It looks very unorganised from the outside with a flurry of late deals (no one in SPL signed more players than us yesterday) when really things could and should have been tied up with players long before then given we knew our needs.  

Johnson has been available from Wolves all Summer - was he always on radar or was it a panic move when Broadfoot left?  DU have been trying to shift Sow all Summer - again, if we like him, why wait till Deadline day?  He's not someone who was only made available yesterday.  

So that's the main worry for me - the lack of planning and organisation surrounding the window - I hope the club fixes that aspect before January as I think with the right setup around him, Angelo would actually be a pretty good head coach for us.

1 hour ago, Fudger said:

And another point whilst we are moaning and having a go, why the hell did we let Calum Waters leave when it was bloody obvious Greg Taylor was going to leave. Another really poor decision. 

Because we would have lost him altogether if we didn't let him go and get first team football, its that simple. We can recall at the next window if required. Nothing poor about the decision at all, we did what we had to do but its easy to misconstrue the intentions when you don't know the full story so that's understandable.

31 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

I refuse to believe that the market has changed radically from that of two years ago, when McCulloch made eight permanent signings, all of whom, with the exception of Higgins, were good signings for the club and most of whom are still here. 

McCulloch started working on signings from the end of the previous seasons and could hit the ground running. Again comes back to the change of manager being a big factor. 

29 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

That was the point I was making last night - I'm not passing judgement on any of the players who have joined on loan. It's the fact that having faced the situation of the summer, we'll be looking at an even higher turnover in 2020. I'd like to get a handle on why that is.