Osman Sow

gdevoy

Sometimes players need a change of scene and a fresh start to get their career going again. I'm looking forward to seeing him, and thought he looked happy to be here in the announcement stuff. We've been focusing on why we should sign a player from a league below and treating it as a negative, but from his perspective he's just got a move to a team up a league and a chance to prove himself after injury etc.

One word of warning that the Killie moaners may struggle with slightly - he's very much like Nish in that he manages to somehow get smaller when jumping for a header. Hopefully he's also a signing that gives Innes a bit of space and time to develop - although I do think he's worth some game time this season to move his game on.

Looking forward to seeing all the new boys in action, it should be an interesting season for us.

6 minutes ago, Steppskillie said:

One if my relatives is a Hearts supporter. Very popular when he was with Hearts however when hs scored most of his goals Hearts were in the Championship at the time. Having said that if he has an eye for goal could be agood signing..

He scored 9 in 23 games in the Premiership with Hearts as well. Looking at his assists he could work well with Brophy.

Edited by Gaz of the 20/20

11 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

He scored 9 in 23 games in the Premiership with Hearts as well. Looking at his assists he could work well with Brophy.

Sow scored a hat trick against Killie in the opening reserve match of the season.  Ended 5-2 to United, so he obviously caused complete chaos.  

From club website..

It was a far from ideal start, and United’s American midfielder Ian Harkes drew first blood after seven minutes, capitalising on a mix-up in the Killie defence to squeeze the ball home. United has their second after 22 minutes. Grappling in the box at a corner saw a penalty awarded, with the looming figure of Osman Sow deftly tucking the ball past Curtis Lyle. Two hits and it looked as though Killie were on the canvas, but it took just minutes for Dom Thomas to help get the reserves back on their feet. Lighting up the right with a mazy run: Dom capped it off with a delightful ball across the face of goal, with a lurking Andy Monk pouncing on it and turning the ball into the roof of the net. Thomas was electric in the first-half, his desire to get a ball into the box matched only by his fine footwork to evade his markers. A rasping effort from 30-yards on the cusp of half-time forced Deniz Mehmet into a scrambling save. Into the second-half, and Dundee United again made Killie pay – Osman Sow scoring two rapid fire goals in a matter of minutes to leave Andy Millen’s side reeling from that rapid sucker punch. The big Swede had his hat-trick, and it wasn’t long before Harkes got his second; running across the defensive line to score from 20 yards.

Edited by RAG

13 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

According to the transfer market site, he also had 6 assists in those 23 prem games. He played 1,739 minutes so was averaging just unnder a goal/assist per match.

I actually think he's a great signing. Proven in Scotland previously. OK, not favoured at Dundee United but we don't need to be told sometimes players just don't fit in at teams. Physical and I'm quite sure he'll score a good few before Christmas. United have a lot of attacking options so he's not getting a look in there. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Apparently a really nice guy too.

Don't think is mentioned so far, but Sow is a Swede. So won't be as prejudiced against the 3G as Willie Miller or Alan Preston.  In fact, he might find it preferable to the hallowed grass park!  Guaranteed he's played more games on the 3G than any of our other players - who have a few years experience.

Edited by RAG

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, marydoll said:

I see him more as a Colin Nish.

Totally agree, same build, almost identical gait and general movement.

The masses will be frustrated at although he's a big lanky lad he looks (from his time so far) to prefer the ball coming to his feet.  He's had some great back-to-goal play so far and seems unselfish with the ball.  Brophy could really add to elements of his game by watching him.

I love a player with natural technique, but I filmed a few training sessions in 2005/06 where Nish, Wales, Naismith (and fan-fave Rhian Dodds) were all present and Nish stood out a mile. 

Made me really think about what the manager sees in training versus what fans see in 15 minute flashes at games - and why some 'fan favourites' always get left out.

If, as above Sow has been training really well, he sounds like a Nish clone....destined to be unpopular, but if he ends up with the goals return Nish did we will be laughing.  Pretty sure Boyd said at one point that Nish was his favourite strike partner too.