Osman Sow

gdevoy

4 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Unfortunate that he's injured, most likely cant be helped but I'm really struggling, as I have since it was announced, to see how he was a good signing. 

It was a panic loan as we couldn't get another striker. 

Couldn’t agree more , think he is symptomatic of the administrative chaos that existed and possibly still does behind the scenes . 

There must be a better out of work striker out their or maybe the board are keeping back some of the Taylor money until January.

36 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Yes, but we needed more in numbers.

I agree.

But Brophy, Sow and Cameron all being injured at the same time, leaving just Millar, is surely just bad luck rather than an indictment of the transfer policy?

Keeping Sow fit was my concern when we signed him, being honest.

For me we were short of numbers in the striker position and luck has deserted us at this stage with three of our options being injured. I’d have liked to see us getting another striker in during the window. 

Millar will offer something through the middle but we lose his threat from wide and I’m not sure how he’ll cope with CBs getting laid into him for 90minutes. 

Disappointing for Sow. He showed something on Saturday and with match time would hopefully have got better. Now seeing his chances to impress reduced with the injury and then having to get up to full speed again. 

30 minutes ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Regardless what you think of Sow a 6 month loan striker to cover Brophy is not good enough. Alessio failed to cover the most obvious area that was lacking.

Maybe no one better would come to us at the time what with all the negativity flying around it would be understandable for any professional to give us a wide berth, now that we are starting to gel we might get luckier on a free agent or two 

Spoke to an avid Dundee Utd fan yesterday who described Sow as a 'plank'. He talked about the wages Sow was on from previous clubs and what Dundee Utd were paying with little to no return and very overrated player. They couldn`t wait to offload. He rated Brophy and said him and Shankland would be a good pairing. His words, not mine but didn`t have any kind words to say about Sow which seems to be the same opinion as most D Utd fans.

58 minutes ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Regardless what you think of Sow a 6 month loan striker to cover Brophy is not good enough. Alessio failed to cover the most obvious area that was lacking.

don't think it was alessios fault. he's been badly let down by the board

4 hours ago, BDM2510 said:

Spoke to an avid Dundee Utd fan yesterday who described Sow as a 'plank'. He talked about the wages Sow was on from previous clubs and what Dundee Utd were paying with little to no return and very overrated player. They couldn`t wait to offload. He rated Brophy and said him and Shankland would be a good pairing. His words, not mine but didn`t have any kind words to say about Sow which seems to be the same opinion as most D Utd fans.

The Dundee United fan is entitled to their opinion.

But Sow has already played for us on Saturday - he looked good in my opinion and certainly not a plank.

And they haven’t off loaded him - as it stands he will be back there in January.

Not sure I see the relevance of his wage at other clubs.

Edited by NorfolkG

5 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Hard to argue with this comment. I’m not anti-Alessio but the fact we didn’t sign a striker in the transfer window was big disappointment. 

5 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Sometimes it just doesn’t work for some people at certain clubs, Brophy and Shankland would NOT work imo , both of them want to score all the goals, Stewart and Brophy worked because GS was more than happy to set EB up , I genuinely think they would end up hating each other on the pitch

Yes, having two strikers who want to score would be a real problem. PSG have really struggled with Cavani and Neymar. 

Disappointing if we didnt go for Shankland and even more disappointing if we did and were outbid by Dundee Utd 

3 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

The Dundee United fan is entitled to their opinion.

But Sow has already played for us on Saturday - he looked good in my opinion and certainly not a plank.

And they haven’t off loaded him - as it stands he will be back there in January.

Not sure I see the relevance of his wage at other clubs.

I agree that this was his opinion. The wage was relevant as he claimed he was on £5k a week at his previous clubs and was prone to injury. When he signed for Dundee Utd, he was a high wage earner for them and sadly his performances were well below fan expectation. As I said, this was the fan's opinion and why wouldn't Sow take the money if it is offered as any professional footballer would. Dundee Utd couldn't wait to offload. 

I personally believe that our manager was put in a position similar to SSC where most loan deals are towards the end of the transfer window. Other deals had either fallen through and left with limited time, I believe the club were desperate to resolve the striker situation in the hope Sow was the answer. I can't really comment as I missed the RC game but sometimes the style of football and player connections click and I feel at the moment we dont click too well upfront and perhaps it will work based on how well the players adapt to the changes. AA has selected the tall striker typical to Italian football and for that to work the connection in the last third need to be spot on with good balls in from the wing and playing to feet. Look at our goals this season and they are generally being created when the player is making their own run in the last third direct towards goal. I think the manager wants more play around the penalty box but similar to previous years we are either shot shy or dont have the consistency when we shoot to put it in the back of the net. I personally think that if the manager and coaching staff can do up front as they have for middle and defence, someone soon will suffer and confidence will grow. Chances are being created but we are just not able to finish them off. 

17 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

Shame big Innes is injured. Clearly another striker should have been signed. But this might have been the opportunity for the boy to have made his mark. 

I still think if he was fit that Millar or St Clair, possibly even Thomas, would be starting ahead of him.

12 hours ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

The interim chief exec had a major part to play in this with deciding he was filtering and approving any signings which delayed a lot of the deals and also the number

11 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

The interim chief exec had a major part to play in this with deciding he was filtering and approving any signings which delayed a lot of the deals and also the number

Not a bad thing if you ask me. Did we want another Clark cavalcade of numpties and all those crocks getting signed just so we had more players? I'm happy to see that checks are in place and we're not just pandering to the panic merchants. We still have two or three options for a single role, some folk need to calm down a bit.