Congratulations SOD

Fankle

The whole Scotland team looked totally out of their depth last night. I don't think it's fair to single out any individual, or indeed the manager. The game last night was a symptom of a malaise that has affected Scottish football for many years.

Belgium is a country only twice the size in population terms of Scotland but the performance level of their international team was at least two divisions above what Scotland could manage. There is no insurmountable reason why this should be so. From my perspective it's simply down to a football establishment without vision or ambition, that is inward looking and obsessed with its own processes and personalities.

It used to be good enough 50 years ago when other countries football infrastructure was immature and inadequate. Now these countries have matured, improved and just accelerated past Scotland over the horizon. How do we fix it? Well accepting there is a problem would be a good first step.

Think it's harsh the amount of stick SOD is getting. He will know himself that he's fortunate to be getting a game for Scotland on a regular basis. He did deserve a call up, that first season with Clarke he was phenomenal and he's definitely benefiting from a lack of depth in that position but what's he going to say? "Nah i'm not quite at that level i'll not come and play"?

He's done no bad over his 11 caps and i still fancy he'll win a few more but if Tierney is fit and available he'll probably move across to RB. That being said i think it's unfair to lambast the guy when there really isn't another option atm.

11 hours ago, dasboag said:

Great footballer and fully deserving of his place.

Could see his confidence was shot towards the end of the Russia game, but came back a lot better tonight. Should mibbe have taken a booking to stop the first buy hey.

Killie need a confident SOD though, hope he comes back with it.

Nowhere near good enough for that level and I suspect if Jack was fit he'd have played last night.

Congrats to him all the same as it's a great achievement getting 11 caps and probably never thought he would in his wildest dreams.

Just looks like a rabbit in the headlights and almost scared to do anything other than the simple pass when playing internationally.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

39 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

The whole Scotland team looked totally out of their depth last night. I don't think it's fair to single out any individual, or indeed the manager. The game last night was a symptom of a malaise that has affected Scottish football for many years.

Belgium is a country only twice the size in population terms of Scotland but the performance level of their international team was at least two divisions above what Scotland could manage. There is no insurmountable reason why this should be so. From my perspective it's simply down to a football establishment without vision or ambition, that is inward looking and obsessed with its own processes and personalities.

It used to be good enough 50 years ago when other countries football infrastructure was immature and inadequate. Now these countries have matured, improved and just accelerated past Scotland over the horizon. How do we fix it? Well accepting there is a problem would be a good first step.

Totally agree. Identifying the problem, rather than just complaining, is the first step.

The root-and-branch review the Belgians had 15+ years ago is now paying off while we are still stuck with sane same faceless, chinless snouts-in-trough who don’t even give one f**k.

Edited by NorfolkG

39 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Absolutely and the link between the backwardness of Scottish football attitudes and infrastructure and media treatment of AA is obvious. Another reason I hope we can keep ruffling feathers! 

6 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

Think it's harsh the amount of stick SOD is getting. He will know himself that he's fortunate to be getting a game for Scotland on a regular basis. He did deserve a call up, that first season with Clarke he was phenomenal and he's definitely benefiting from a lack of depth in that position but what's he going to say? "Nah i'm not quite at that level i'll not come and play"?

He's done no bad over his 11 caps and i still fancy he'll win a few more but if Tierney is fit and available he'll probably move across to RB. That being said i think it's unfair to lambast the guy when there really isn't another option atm.

Totally agree. In on merit in season one when he was terrific. He’s not been the same player since that end of season trip to South America with McLeish’s motley crew.

I thought SOD second half performance last night was good. Made some cracking runs with and without the ball, that run into the box at the start of the second half was really good.

Defo gets it stinking compared to the rest and I don't know why as none of the players played well against Russia and the first half last night no one got pass marks.

Lad is a good player, deserves to be in that Scotland team. Usual Scottish negative mentality, most would rather moan and stick the boot in than try and at least see the positives.

1 hour ago, ross1987 said:

Was the constant target for the fans around me at both games.

Majority of the Scotland's fans minds are made up from what I experienced this week. He'll be one of the scapegoats unfortunately.

Seems an easy target yet “the best left back in Europe/World” who has been absolutely dung seems to get an easy ride.

8 minutes ago, Merk said:

Seems an easy target yet “the best left back in Europe/World” who has been absolutely dung seems to get an easy ride.

I agree, Robertson did not look like a player from a team at the top of a league a couple of divisions above the one SOD competes from what I saw.

SoD does not pick the squads nor the team --nor is it his "fault" there is a dearth of other Right backs eligible for selection--nor his singular fault for the poor performances of the team ---

he has now been selected by 2 Scottish Managers to start games and deserves recognition by Killie fans for one of our players getting so many caps ----

Think from watching recent games some of the so called higher profile players picked have for whatever reason failed to deliver on the international stage ---there also seems ATM a lack of organisation----especially at set pieces in that team ---and the lack of any control of games in Midfield both to help the defence and keep possession is so obvious that you can see opposing Managers have exploited it -----pity SC cannot find a Power or Dicker at that level 

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

I agree, Robertson did not look like a player from a team at the top of a league a couple of divisions above the one SOD competes from what I saw.

Been discussing that this morning.  If you didn't know who either was you would never be able to tell the gulf in stature.

I thought SOD was very assured last night, if a little safe at times.  That will be down to him feeling the pressure from the crowd who have decided to make him the target of the groans and moans.  Robertson on the other hand looked terrified & everything was rushed.  If he is as good as everyone thinks he is then he should be capable of adapting to his surroundings.  Doesn't seem to have that to his game though.  I'm wondering if the captaincy is a burden on him that he can't handle.

Massive well done to SOD though!

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, NorfolkG said:

Totally agree. Identifying the problem, rather than just complaining, is the first step.

The root-and-branch review the Belgians had 15+ years ago is now paying off while we are still stuck with sane same faceless, chinless snouts-in-trough who don’t even give one f**k.

FIFA Ranking Comparison 

2009             2019

Scotland      30th               48th

Belgium       68th               1st

Shows what can happen if the right approach is taken.

Speaks volumes for what Belgium have adopted in the last 20 years. 

25 minutes ago, Bigdodge said:

FIFA Ranking Comparison 

2009             2019

The difference is the Belgians set out with a clear attempt to improve their international status. In Scotland the first aim would be how can the system be made better for two clubs. We  need a single governing body that is willing to confront the ugly sisters and work to improve the game across all of the full time clubs. 

7 minutes ago, Kfcinlancashire said:

We  need a single governing body that is willing to confront the ugly sisters and work to improve the game across all of the full time clubs. 

Is improving the game at senior club level the answer?

Would putting money into the clubs represent the best value?

Or would it get "lost in the wash"?

I don’t know how the governing bodies operate in Scottish football tbh. Usually one “master” is better than multiple. A guiding principal in these matters is usually incentivising the owners of the resources to provide them in optimal fashion. In this case, we want the club players to represent the national team. If Scotland do well, the clubs do well. And share of any benefits of success. This may happen - I seem to remember we did ok out of big josh - but the more we can share the benefits of national participation and success the more the clubs can be fully supportive of the national set up I would have thought. The days of clubs being honoured to send their players off without compensation or incentive are gone.

In my opinion we need to stop kidding on and be up front about things. 

Forget the first qualifying campaign ... use the time to assemble a squad that can realistically take us forward.  It might mean dropping players in their late 20s but if we are looking to the future then it has to be done.

Use the second qualifying campaign to hone the squad tactics and personnel..

The third campaign is the real deal where should be looking for qualification as a realistic goal.

Problem is the media wouldn't allow any manager that sort of time to put a squad and plan together.

11 hours ago, Bigdodge said:

FIFA Ranking Comparison 

2009             2019

The night we won in Paris, Belgium were ranked 71st in the world.

I walked out the stadium thinking we were going to qualify out a group with the two WC Finalists in it and a a team who'd got to the quarters.

Had it not been for a shocking result away to Georgia, we would have.

How things have changed.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The night we won in Paris, Belgium were ranked 71st in the world.

I walked out the stadium thinking we were going to qualify out a group with the two WC Finalists in it and a a team who'd got to the quarters.

Had it not been for a shocking result away to Georgia, we would have.

How things have changed.

Another magical McLiesh moment, Georgians said they were playing kids and that idiot bought it hook line and sinker