Rugby Park Vegan Pies

DuncanEwart

• 2 weeks later...

If it tastes good then eat it.

But I've read that compared to the average Western diet of processed and refined s**t, a vegan diet looks very healthy, especially in the short term. But in the long-term there aren’t any clear mortality benefits, as it’s tough to adequately nourish your body with a strictly vegan menu that lacks iron, zinc, calcium and other essential nutrients.

Life's too short for fad diets for me, everything in moderation. And anyway, nothing beats a good steak medium-well or a roll with Ayrshire bacon n HP sauce!

I was in the Scotia bar with a friend and at the table next to us were four vegetarians. We got into a discussion with them weighing up the pros and cons of vegetarianism and one of them asked my friend if he liked animals and he replied yes they are delicious. I think that was a quote from Ted Nugent.

Edited by EKX16
Spelling mistake

• 3 weeks later...

B12 deficiency is a very serious condition & can result in, although it can take 3 to 4 years in death. B12 as far as I know comes from animal products. Where does the B12 supplements that Vegans take come from. Does taking B12 supplements mean that they are not completely Vegan. 

Edited by harley

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, Beaker71 said:

Medical science tells me it isnt healthy,  modern fads do not make it healthy.

I'm not Vegan or Veggie any manor of means, have no plans to be but that is not true for starters and plenty of medical science that says the contrary.

I'd watch Forks over Knives on Netflix, it's definitely eye opening and I've definitely cut down on dairy/processed meats recently. Still eat both but nowhere nearly as much as I did.

26 minutes ago, harley said:

B12 deficiency is a very serious condition & can result in, although it can take 3 to 4 years in death. B12 as far as I know comes from animal products. Where does the B12 supplements that Vegans take come from. Does taking B12 supplements mean that they are not completely Vegan. 

There's a product called nutritional yeast that is a source of b12. It's yeast. It has a nutty smokey cheesy taste. It's much nicer than it sounds.

7 minutes ago, Lroy said:

There's a product called nutritional yeast that is a source of b12. It's yeast. It has a nutty smokey cheesy taste. It's much nicer than it sounds.

I have B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia). Unfortunately my stomach lining no longer absorbs B12 from animal products. I could eat a whole cow it still wouldn't matter.  I have a B12 injection (Hydroxocobalamin) every 3 months, in fact going for one this afternoon. If anybody is thinking of going Vegan please try out the B12 supplements or nutritional yeast that LROY mentioned. you will feel like s**t if you don't. 

On 10/23/2019 at 11:06 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not Vegan or Veggie any manor of means, have no plans to be but that is not true for starters and plenty of medical science that says the contrary.

I'd watch Forks over Knives on Netflix, it's definitely eye opening and I've definitely cut down on dairy/processed meats recently. Still eat both but nowhere nearly as much as I did.

The Game Changers is also well worth a watch.

It's always worth applying a bit of critical thinking to these Netflix documentaries.

Often worth checking out who is making them and what biases are involved. Some of the claims in the food ones have been fanciful, and that is putting it mildly.

I've watched the first half hour or so of Game Changers, and I'm not sure.

I can watch the rest tonight, since I recorded todays match on Alba, yet when I turned it on the very first frame of video was the scores from the bloody news!

On 11/2/2019 at 9:02 PM, Scooby_Doo said:

It's always worth applying a bit of critical thinking to these Netflix documentaries.

Often worth checking out who is making them and what biases are involved. Some of the claims in the food ones have been fanciful, and that is putting it mildly.

I've watched the first half hour or so of Game Changers, and I'm not sure.

I can watch the rest tonight, since I recorded todays match on Alba, yet when I turned it on the very first frame of video was the scores from the bloody news!

That goes without saying, Shirley? Blindly accepting anything is just stupid. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, KillieFanInToon said:

That goes without saying, Shirley? Blindly accepting anything is just stupid. 

You would think.

Everyone I've spoken to or read online talking about Game Changers hasn't offered one piece of criticism.

My Spidey senses were tingling when he did the battle ropes for an hour, when his previous best was 8 minutes, and he'd been injured for six weeks. The previous best in his gym was 20 minutes I think. I didn't believe that for a second. I've watched pro cycling for too long to believe that.

It was disappointing that they spent a lot of time attacking the 'animal products' industries for the tactics they use, whilst using the very same tactics themselves.

Perhaps it isn't as compelling just to tell people to eat more fruit and veg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, Beaker71 said:

Eating vegan isnt healthy for the human body 

Eating meat and dairy increases your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and a whole host of other things. You can have a healthy meat based diet and a healthy vegan diet, but to make a sweeping generalisation that one simply isn't healthy for the human body is silly. 

You seem to have posted on this thread more than anyone else, which in the month since I made the switch to veganism, is in line with my experience so far. I've hardly brought it up, but other people bring it up at every turn and are desperate to make daft claims about not getting enough protein and so on. 

Personally the switch has been great for me and I've never felt more energetic or had better recovery for exercise. I'm happier and enjoying my food more than ever. Noticed vegan pies at Rugby Park last week so looking forward to trying them. 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, Dillinger said:

Eating meat and dairy increases your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and a whole host of other things. You can have a healthy meat based diet and a healthy vegan diet, but to make a sweeping generalisation that one simply isn't healthy for the human body is silly. 

You seem to have posted on this thread more than anyone else, which in the month since I made the switch to veganism, is in line with my experience so far. I've hardly brought it up, but other people bring it up at every turn and are desperate to make daft claims about not getting enough protein and so on. 

Personally the switch has been great for me and I've never felt more energetic or had better recovery for exercise. I'm happier and enjoying my food more than ever. Noticed vegan pies at Rugby Park last week so looking forward to trying them. 

Interesting to read about your energy levels and recovery from exercise, @Dillinger. I was reading an article the other week about Celtic loanee Jack Aitchison and how he is enjoying his time at "vegan club" Forest Green Rovers. They only sell vegan food at the ground and the players only eat vegan food after training etc. although they are free to eat what they like "out of hours". 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Killieboykfc said:

Happy to pump your body full of meat packed with additives but will turn their nose up at fresh natural produce. 

Its processed food thats wrong and gives you cancer. If you only ate fresh food, you’d be healthier, less grumpy and spend a lot more time in the kitchen! Veggie or vegan an optional extra to eating good fresh food, although by being veggie or vegan, you instantly cut out a lot, or most, of the crap!  I like honey on my toast and a bit of fish for my tea, so becoming a vegan is completely out of the question.