Fernando Ricksen

LH31

I don't think this is particularly sad news, as while it's a very young death, I can only say that his death is an absolute release for him and his family from their horrendous suffering.

There is unlikely to be a cure or even help to slow the illness down anytime soon, unfortunately so the quicker the end and less suffering someone with this illness has to got through the better.

Might sound heartless,  but christ the poor guy suffered horrifically for 5 or more years, and has been bed ridden for the past 2 or 3.

4 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

This seems unique to Scotland, and Glasgow in particular, but by f**k does it make my blood boil.

Why is it seen as something special that a Celtic fan would pay their respects? Are they expected to spit on his grave because he played for Rangers?

It's normal human behaviour to show sympathy when someone dies. It shouldn't be seen as unexpected when it's for a footballer who played for a team other than the one you support.

How long do you think Paul Woods from Paisley was hanging about for to get on camera? It's not about you, you sick f**k, it's about a young man ravaged by an awful disease.

If you think I'm being harsh on Paisley Paul, then ask yourself, why is he wearing his Celtic top? Why does that matter? He knew it would get him attention - and what a time to try and grab it, when another man has died. Well done Paul. Prick.

You're normally one of my favourite posters on here and that was a top drawer takedown. 

Edited by fraz65

22 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

This seems unique to Scotland, and Glasgow in particular, but by f**k does it make my blood boil.

Why is it seen as something special that a Celtic fan would pay their respects? Are they expected to spit on his grave because he played for Rangers?

It's normal human behaviour to show sympathy when someone dies. It shouldn't be seen as unexpected when it's for a footballer who played for a team other than the one you support.

How long do you think Paul Woods from Paisley was hanging about for to get on camera? It's not about you, you sick f**k, it's about a young man ravaged by an awful disease.

If you think I'm being harsh on Paisley Paul, then ask yourself, why is he wearing his Celtic top? Why does that matter? He knew it would get him attention - and what a time to try and grab it, when another man has died. Well done Paul. Prick.

Spot on. You see the same thing on Facebook where the words "Even though I'm a Celtic fan..." start the message of condolence. It's just people craving a bit of attention.

I'd argue about his description of Ricksen as a Rangers legend too. Nowhere near it. He did more to raise awareness for his disease than he did for them

It's a terrible way to go and not one I'd wish on anybody .... I'd rather someone roll my chair in front of a train than let me waste away like that.

He was a cracking player ... but a bit of a tosser, could he be classed as a legend?

Not so sure I would call him a legend, but then we have labelled good players who were around for shorter periods with the same title so why can't they.

Agree about the attention seekers wearing an opposition shirt .... just go and lay your scarf or flowers or whatever and pay your respects. 

3 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

Spot on. You see the same thing on Facebook where the words "Even though I'm a Celtic fan..." start the message of condolence. It's just people craving a bit of attention.

I'd argue about his description of Ricksen as a Rangers legend too. Nowhere near it. He did more to raise awareness for his disease than he did for them

They would be as well starting their sentence with the words,  "Even though I am a bigoted moron...."

Your football allegiance is f**king irrelevant you plant pot!  You're only showing basic human compassion.

@Scooby_Doo 10/10...

5 hours ago, Nigel4 said:

The guy has absolutely nothing to say when asked about Ricksen. He’s there for his 15 minutes of fame.

Edited by Bobby14

I thought this was a good article by Bill Leckie:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4737256/fernando-ricksen-died-fighting-bill-leckie/

I remember David Hagen playing for Rangers and Falkirk and had not heard he was suffering from this disease until I read this article in the paper. In America, MND is known as Lou Gehrig's Disease after the New York Yankees baseball player who died from it in 1941. He was 38.

Edited by DuncanEwart