Dom Thomas

Squirrelhumper

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

His drop of the shoulder and flick round the defender last night just after coming on was Cocard Esque, in fact I'm sure Cocard did almost exactly the same after coming on against Hibs in cup (might have been his debut actually!)

His run when he hit the crossbar was superb too.

I'd start him and Miller on either wing on Saturday.

I’d start him but in the 10. I think his lack of pace and strength get shown up on the wing.

His cameos have all been decent - time to find out what he really has.

8 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

I’d start him but in the 10. I think his lack of pace and strength get shown up on the wing.

Do you think so? I thought his run for the cross that hit the post showed the opposite.

Collum's reaction to that was appalling - had the Hibs player connected with Thomas it was a straight red, but to not even book him was disgraceful, not least because he lunged in at Power two minutes later.

Just now, Scooby_Doo said:

Do you think so? I thought his run for the cross that hit the post showed the opposite.

Collum's reaction to that was appalling - had the Hibs player connected with Thomas it was a straight red, but to not even book him was disgraceful, not least because he lunged in at Power two minutes later.

Generally, I think he walks into dead ends. I like him in flashes but not sure he’s a better wide option than Burke.

I think the actual names on the sheet are irrelevant until the wingers are given permission to properly attack.

Just now, NorfolkG said:

I think the actual names on the sheet are irrelevant until the wingers are given permission to properly attack.

Agreed - we didn't look dangerous until late on when Millar in particular started getting to the byeline.

We are superb in the first 70 yards or so of the pitch, but the players have an air of 'what do we do now?' when they get close to the opponents penalty area.

15 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Lack of pace? Did you miss his couple of runs last night when the defenders couldn't get anywhere near him.

I would have probably agreed with you last season/season before but he has looked to have worked hard and gained a few extra yards of pace from somewhere.

Just now, Skora11 said:

Lack of pace? Did you miss his couple of runs last night when the defenders couldn't get anywhere near him.

I would have probably agreed with you last season/season before but he has looked to have worked hard and gained a few extra yards of pace from somewhere.

Agreed - 2 or 3 times last night he left various defenders for dust.

The previous 2 seasons, he looked a yard slower. He looks in his best physical shape since he arrived. He’ll never have the pace of a millar or jj but he’s not slow. Added to that is his desire to make something happen ever time he gets the ball. Probably drives managers crazy and to be fair I think he has toned it down a bit, but he rarely plays the back or sideways pass. He has intent. Moments of individual brilliance. As before, he is the most naturally talented guy at the club. Having added conditioning and a better game awareness, he should be an important contributor this season. Starting Saturday.

13 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

The previous 2 seasons, he looked a yard slower. He looks in his best physical shape since he arrived. He’ll never have the pace of a millar or jj but he’s not slow. Added to that is his desire to make something happen ever time he gets the ball. Probably drives managers crazy and to be fair I think he has toned it down a bit, but he rarely plays the back or sideways pass. He has intent. Moments of individual brilliance. As before, he is the most naturally talented guy at the club. Having added conditioning and a better game awareness, he should be an important contributor this season. Starting Saturday.

I'd agree to start him on Saturday and also the point he seems to want to go forward as opposed to a lot of our sideways passing we seem to be doing just now.

Thought he was excellent last night when he came on but we’ve seen this from him before. Makes a real impression in a sub appearance, gets a well deserved start in the next game, and is totally ineffective leading to him being back on the bench again.

Definitely a gifted footballer and I would like to see him given a run in the team, as we were much more dangerous when he came on last night.

39 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

I don’t think he has pace over any real distance. Just my opinion.

I’d sacrifice the wingers and have two players in more of a free role between the middle three and striker. For me width is all well and good but we don’t have the quality of cross or men in the middle to make it effective. Give two from the likes of Thomas, Millar, Burke, St Clair more freedom to drift into pockets of space but keep the solidity of a three behind them.

I was impressed with Thomas last night. I think that’s the first time in a Killie jersey he has properly looked up to task. He had a genuine attacking intent others lacked. 

16 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’d have him in the number 10 role in place of one of our sitting midfielders. 

I'd try that as well as the gap between the 3 and Brophy is huge and there is no creativity or link through the middle.  Brophy did loads of selfless running last night for absolutely no reward.