International break

Dillinger

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I doubt he will TBH when he's earning more in a year at Scotland than he would in 3 or 4 at us!

Leaving was the correct call imo but his next job looks like being league 1 based on this disaster.

He should have done what he suggested a few months ago - leave without a job and wait for one where the SFA aren’t his employer.

56 minutes ago, Fudger said:

We are always planning for the next tournament whilst playing in the current one.........now it's "all about the play offs". Only so long you can listen to that dung. 

Playing devils advocate.......

Is Steve Clarke is the right man to plan for any future tournaments?

He was very much a here n now type manager when with us. 

I know it was mathematically still possible to qualify until last night, but selecting guys like Charlie Mulgrew, who's clearly been out his depth at international level for a while now and who should be nowhere near any future squad, backs this up.

Blooding Findlay or Gallacher against decent opposition, such as Russia, would have shown a better indication if they are international level, than say, either or, taking the field against San Marino.

Edited by C4mmy31

7 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I know it was mathematically still possible to qualify until last night, but selecting guys like Charlie Mulgrew, who's clearly been out his depth at international level for a while now and who should be nowhere near any future squad, backs this up.

I would have said Mulgrew was our best player at home to Russia.

4 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Playing devils advocate.......

Is Steve Clarke is the right man to plan for any future tournaments?

He was very much a here n now type manager when with us. 

Blooding Findlay or Gallacher against decent opposition, such as Russia, would have shown a better indication if they are international level, than say, either or, taking the field against San Marino.

Did he play higgins and wilson when he took over us? putting in 2 guys with 0 caps as a centre half pairing against that level of opponent would've been mental. The idea behind mulgrew is purely the experience. See broadfoot, he was a haddy when clarke came in and he transformed him.  The 2 new guys could've both played and done well but realistically if all players are fit, none of devlin, gallacher or findlay would've been in anyway.

Ideally if all players are available then he'll most likely choose from Tierney, Hanley, Mckenna, Souttar, Cooper, Halkett, Findlay.

With killie Clarke was having to get players to step up to do a job on celtic/rangers which he managed brilliantly. Getting the same calibre of player to step up 2/3 levels further to Russia/belgium is another matter. We don't have the players in defence.

I am kinda surprised by SC's Scotland adventure.

One thing SC was able to do was make us competitive against teams that were technically better than us. At international level it just is not working. The teams that are technically better than us look much better than us. Perhaps it is the lack of contact time with the players meaning he doesn't get to establish a relationship. Think about KB, how quickly he suddenly started to become a key player for SC and how quickly he went off the reservation once SC left. 

16 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I am kinda surprised by SC's Scotland adventure.

One thing SC was able to do was make us competitive against teams that were technically better than us. At international level it just is not working. The teams that are technically better than us look much better than us. Perhaps it is the lack of contact time with the players meaning he doesn't get to establish a relationship. Think about KB, how quickly he suddenly started to become a key player for SC and how quickly he went off the reservation once SC left. 

But he had time to coach players every day, he doesn't have this time with Scotland, to in effect to recoach them from the ground up.

In theory this should be easier with supposedly better players, but would you say mulgrew was better then Findlay?

On 10/11/2019 at 7:45 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I doubt he will TBH when he's earning more in a year at Scotland than he would in 3 or 4 at us!

Money is one thing but when tonight's game comes round and there's only about 10,000 folk there to watch us struggle to beat bloody San Marino, you don't think there will be any part of him at all that wishes he had stayed for our European adventure and another crack at the league campaign?