Poppies

trenwick

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Always think it's a shame that many people like me who back the original sentiment and meaning behind the poppy symbol can no longer wear them because of how they've been politicised by certain quarters. 

Firstly, for me, theres a big Rangers (and Hearts) association there, made more prominent by how much Rangers dine out on the whole poppy season and the fact that Celtic take nothing to do with it. 

Secondly, theres the debate over whether the traditional red poppy is the right choice for someone who perhaps doesn't agree with many of the wars fought by the british armed forces and the actions of some soldiers.

Lastly, I dont like the pressure that people in the public eye ought to wear it - the perfect example being the abuse James McClean gets every year for his perfectly valid reasons for opting out.

I say all of this as someone whose great grampa fought in world war two - I was very close with him as he lived til I was 15, and I remember him telling me about his best friend getting killed. In an ideal world, I would wear a poppy, but never do for the reasons above. 

Anyway, all that aside, the Killie poppy posted above looks smart.   

if people want to wear it and show their respect then let them. whether its Rangers, hearts or Killie then I don't think that doubting anyone's reason for wearing it (or not) should be looked upon.

The whole Rangers and Hearts thing is nonsense too, typically the argument you hear from fans of the club from the East End.

I would rather the politics of the whole thing be left outside football to be honest imo.

9 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Always think it's a shame that many people like me who back the original sentiment and meaning behind the poppy symbol can no longer wear them because of how they've been politicised by certain quarters. 

Firstly, for me, theres a big Rangers (and Hearts) association there, made more prominent by how much Rangers dine out on the whole poppy season and the fact that Celtic take nothing to do with it. 

Secondly, theres the debate over whether the traditional red poppy is the right choice for someone who perhaps doesn't agree with many of the wars fought by the british armed forces and the actions of some soldiers.

Lastly, I dont like the pressure that people in the public eye ought to wear it - the perfect example being the abuse James McClean gets every year for his perfectly valid reasons for opting out.

I say all of this as someone whose great grampa fought in world war two - I was very close with him as he lived til I was 15, and I remember him telling me about his best friend getting killed. In an ideal world, I would wear a poppy, but never do for the reasons above. 

Anyway, all that aside, the Killie poppy posted above looks smart.   

As an ex serviceman myself I totally ageee with you.

Id rather just give my money to the charity itself than pay another company.

Just now, dasboag said:

The point being that as a business they have the awareness and class to continue to donate to a worthwhile charity, but not make a ghoulish pantomime out of it like Sevco do.

a token payment at that, sure the green brigade wouldn't agree as they sing about killing service men and women isn't class. same old pointless argument comes up every year.

my point is why talk about rangers and celtic as the original post was about a Kilmarnock poppy

15 minutes ago, Riccarton Bluebell said:

I hope you will all be attending the remembrance service at Rugby Park which is held annually to remember the Killie players that never made it home. 

I will be going to my papas grave and I attend my works remembrance.

Will see if I can make this. do you know the details?