New tablet suggestions...

chubbs

On the lookout for a new tablet to replace the Fire that i've had for donkeys but can't make up my mind... what do you all recommend.

Will only be used for reading, browsing, and watching films on the plane.

Should say that I won't be joining the cult of Apple anytime soon .... 

Cheers

Depends what your budget is.

Samsung do a pretty good range of tablets across the board. Microsoft do the Surface range which run Windows. The higher end ones seem to work to PC levels of usability.

Saying all that, after I got my last tablet (Google Nexus 9, 2014) I regret not getting an iPad. They are the best tablets, whether you like the brand or not. Which I don't particularly. But I didn't get over that at the time and chose poorly.

Saying that, I think the competition tablets are a lot closer to Apple now than they were in 2014. I'd probably go for a Samsung S5e today.

Samsung have a range in different sizes and prices. Acer are good value too. Apple are way over priced and softwear gives less freedom than Android. Also acessories are crazy prices.  I have owned both above android systems. I went back to a 10 inch , for watching streaming. 8inch was ok for travel , but my phone is a big screen anyway.

If you have an Android phone , Stick to android Tablet.

I've got a Huawei Mediapad M5 10.8. No complaints so far and the screen size is good for watching films on the go or football on Sky Go. We took my wife's ipad on holiday recently and I can't say the picture for live sport (rugby) or films was any better than the Mediapad. Sound is pretty good although there is no headphone socket, but it comes with a USB to jack adaptor. 

I got my iPad used from Music Magpie on ebay.  Was 8 months old, so still under apple warranty, plus got their additional 12 month warranty. Got a 32GB cellular 2018 model for £220, which was an absolute bargain.  Is no HDMI output on the iPad  - which would be my key feature were I still in the market for one!  Speed and battery life on the iPad is superb - light years ahead of tablets from 5 years ago.

Anyway, not sure a tablet (Android or iOS) is something I'd buy new and at its full price. The batteries last for 1000 charges on iPads, rather than 500 cycles on iPhones, so tablets are built to last longer than phones from the outset.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:32 PM, chubbs said:

On the lookout for a new tablet to replace the Fire that i've had for donkeys but can't make up my mind... what do you all recommend.

What spec are you working to? 7", 8", 10"?

What is your budget? £100, £200?

You can get the Huawei T3 7" from Argos for £69.99 or the 8" version from BT Shop for £79.99. The 10" is £109.00 on Amazon.

7 hours ago, Scooter said:

What spec are you working to? 7", 8", 10"?

What is your budget? £100, £200?

You can get the Huawei T3 7" from Argos for £69.99 or the 8" version from BT Shop for £79.99. The 10" is £109.00 on Amazon.

Aye go to Argos and look at the picture quality on the photograph in the book of dreams.