Gary Dicker

Scouser2

For a while I thought he was in Power's shadow a little but if anything he is now more than a match for him if not better. I think it's hard to state just how big a player he is for us. 

If I had one gripe, in some of the matches where we suffer appalling refereeing decisions, he could be up in the referee's face a bit more, as captain. That's me being picky!

42 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

I hope we are having discussions with him. I know he’s 34 in the summer and away from his family but he is still getting better and his style (positional rather than athletic) means he could have several more years as a top performer before the legs go.

He is as important to our team as Mavis was in his time, only thing is that we are now more educated and appreciate dicker a hell of a lot more then we appreciated just how good and integral Mavis was.

Crucial component to our team. I get the impression he’s the type that footballers like to play with. He does the dirty work and provides the anchor to take our shape from allowing others to play their game. 

Im not suggesting they should be guaranteed starters but given their form over the last two and a bit years I can’t believe Dicker and Power have not at least been included in international squads for Ireland. 

2 hours ago, Killiepie said:

Played very well. Only fault I saw was he shat out on a tackle with Barclay early on. 

From my view it looked as if he thought he could nick the ball before Barclay got to it, and dodge the slide completely while keeping possession. It didn't work out like that in the end but he's never been one to shy away from tackles and I don't think it was the case yesterday. 

He was tremendous, best player on the park by quite a bit imo. 

23 minutes ago, piffer said:

Crucial component to our team. I get the impression he’s the type that footballers like to play with. He does the dirty work and provides the anchor to take our shape from allowing others to play their game. 

Im not suggesting they should be guaranteed starters but given their form over the last two and a bit years I can’t believe Dicker and Power have not at least been included in international squads for Ireland. 

I've watched Glen Whelan and he's a good player but if I was Irish at the minute I'm taking Alan Power every time for the ROI squad. Same applies for Jack Byrne. It's ridiculous that Power has never got the nod.

I can see why Dicker hasn't maybe got there and it's not down to quality he just doesn't stand out in the same way because of the type of player he is.

1 hour ago, david mcbeth said:

I think when you hear him talking he is clearly a guy who thinks about the game and who is influential on the other players. Personally I think him and SOD particularly could have made or broken AA at one point and chose to knuckle down. Shows maturity and leadership as individuals IMO.

maybe, but only one winner having coached multi million pound players for years. Dicker and Power should be offered contract extensions at  least 1 for Dicker and 2 for Power.

3 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

I think when you hear him talking he is clearly a guy who thinks about the game and who is influential on the other players. Personally I think him and SOD particularly could have made or broken AA at one point and chose to knuckle down. Shows maturity and leadership as individuals IMO.

Add Burke to that and think your spot on. It could have gone either way but looks like folks pulling in same direction now. 

I agree about Dicker having the mentality to go into coaching and i hope it might be with us. Even on the pitch you can see him directing players during the game , He also pulls guys up when they make wrong decisions or mistakes , He pulled Findlay up yesterday and i have seen him point out to Millar about not tracking back.

14 hours ago, Dillinger said:

For a while I thought he was in Power's shadow a little but if anything he is now more than a match for him if not better. I think it's hard to state just how big a player he is for us. 

I would say he has been better than Power in most games this season while last season that was rarely the case. 

Players must hate playing against the pair of them.  They've both been a huge part of our success. 

Power/Dicker - Dicker/Power

who cares? We have two of the best centre midfielders in the league and the best pairing since Durrant and Mahood/Reilly. 

I love how Dicker tries to play, whether in his own box or picking up second balls in the last third, he finds a pass. Very rarely does he play a long ball. Power is a work horse, but seems to have an attacking threat and passing range which is at odds with his 110mph style. The guy is everywhere. Imagine Eremenko as the third member of the midfield three :o

20 hours ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

From my view it looked as if he thought he could nick the ball before Barclay got to it, and dodge the slide completely while keeping possession. It didn't work out like that in the end but he's never been one to shy away from tackles and I don't think it was the case yesterday. 

He was tremendous, best player on the park by quite a bit imo. 

He does that fairly regularly. could end up with a sore one if the opposition player connects with him fully.

Thought the was outstanding after a shaky first 10-15.