Same old Killie

Scooby_Doo

18 minutes ago, Big sexy said:

We are winning and third in league whats not too like.il take 1 nil wins all season long 

That's missing the point though.I think we can get wins and play a more expansive brand of football. AA knows what is required, his post match comments give comfort that he expects improvements. As a fan, that's what you want to hear, even from the lofty position of 3rd in the league. 

1 hour ago, funky monkey said:

I disagree completely. 

With the current team we should be looking forwards and not backwards. 

This team is capable of keeping possession and shape and with one or two quality additions offensively scoring more goals and taking on the best that Scottish football has to offer. 

We played more expansive against CQN and lost. 

I am really enjoying watching us play

we have a well organised, extremely difficult to break down defence, who on the whole try to pass their way out of trouble.

a superbly strong midfield trio/quadruple  who boss most matches with Gary Dicker improving in quality and confidence with every passing game, he also sets a high standard for all around as he isn't shy in letting  team mates know if they have slipped below said standard . 

only thing that is frustrating in my opinion is our final 3rd play and that's not for the lack of effort in the forwards behalf 

a wee break here or there for the forwards  and a better quality final ball and most games would be won a bit more comfortably score wise .

as a few have said if we could possibly somehow get an Eremenco  type player in at Christmas (Far easier said than done to be fair) we could be some team

whats not to enjoy ?

15 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I disagree. We were a shambles home and away against CQN. We didn't play any particular style of football in either of those games.

In the home game against CQN we were pressed right up, looking to force a passing game. Same as against Hamilton. We were credibly easy to hit on the break.

I liked the ambition early on against CQN but the players clearly were not confident or comfortable doing it.

14 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I'm getting fed up.

Steve Clarke took over almost two years ago. Since then, we've been organised, compact when defending and using the counter attack well. We've not been free scoring, or free flowing, but we've been effective. The league table doesn't lie.

We've now played ten games, and we're third. We had the CQN debacle, a narrow defeat to Rangers and the away defeat to Hamilton. Since then, we've reverted to type. Each week, I read the same comments - 'that was dire', 'we were murder', 'the football is terrible'. We have played the same way in every game since that Hamilton defeat. Only Celtic were able to counter it, and even then, only they and Livingston even managed to score against us (in 90 minutes for you pedants).

I wonder if some folk have had a visit from Tommy Lee Jones and WIll Smith and had the Locke/Johnston/Clark/McCulloch tenures erased from memory. Again, for those struggling with comprehension, we're third. It's not a flash in the pan, it's not papering over the cracks, it's what we do now. Clarke has gone, but the guy that coached the Italian national team, Juventus and Chelsea is in charge now and it's fair to say that the man does know what he's doing. We all know that we're missing a number ten, but we can't realistically change that until January.

We're so solid across the back four and midfield I wonder if this is the same Killie that I've been watching for nearly 25 years. So to hear the boos when, about five minutes before we scored the winning goal, when a backwards pass was played (when the alternative was GIVING THE BLOODY BALL AWAY) really made my shoulders slump.

So you'll need to suck it up, and endure effective, Europa League qualifying fitba for at least another couple of months until we sign the new Eremenko.

Until then, accept that it will be 0-0 at half time, they probably won't score, and that we might. We'll pick up plenty of points in the meantime. I've started saving for next July, and I'm going to make sure I'm registered with a supporters bus ahead of time. What about you?

I could not agree more.

some fans have very short memories.

If we can be this solid, not losing many goals, not free scoring and still third in league, added to that a January transfer window in which we can possibly purchase a couple of goal scorers, an attacking midfielder, that’ll do for me.

Sooth sayers aside from outside the club, who wrote us off, pfft, the last thing we need is loyal fans running our team to the low because we ain’t free scoring and that knocker wetting exciting football is not on show every week. GET A GRIP!!!

Time to stop the negativity guys and embrace what we have and while we have it.

Edited by Mikastar

Every one of us would have accepted where we are now at the start of the season. I think most of the media pundits had us down for Bottom Six, anywhere from seventh to the play-off place. 

The close season was a f**k-up which won't be repeated, I hope, but we still have a team in third place and with the scope to improve.

There's uncertainty on the horizon with most players out of contract next summer but let's appreciate what we have for now. It's not attractive but it is very effective.

The 1964/65 side didn't march to the title through rose petals scattered in their path. Moaners are not a new thing. My grandfather grumbled about "too much tippy tappy" and players like Jackie McInally divided opinion in the crowd, it's fair to say.

A look at the table shows that you have to go down to ninth place to find a team which scored fewer goals that season. But nobody conceded fewer.

Killie have always done best when we are a bit dour and boring. Mean in defence and grinding out results. Waddell, Burns in his only SPL season, Williamson with his superb offside trap, Clarke and now Alessio. 

That for me is the Same Old Killie - beating you 1-0 against the run of play! 

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

Every one of us would have accepted where we are now at the start of the season. I think most of the media pundits had us down for Bottom Six, anywhere from seventh to the play-off place. 

The close season was a f**k-up which won't be repeated, I hope, but we still have a team in third place and with the scope to improve.

There's uncertainty on the horizon with most players out of contract next summer but let's appreciate what we have for now. It's not attractive but it is very effective.

The 1964/65 side didn't march to the title through rose peals scattered in their path. Moaners are not a new thing. My grandfather grumbled about "too much tipppy tappy". Players like Jackie McInally divided opinion in the crowd, it's fair to say. A look at the table shows that you have to go down to ninth place to find a team which scored fewer goals that season. But nobody conceded fewer.

But they were very, very efficient. Killie have always done best when we are a bit dour and boring. Mean in defence and grinding out results. Waddell, Burns in his only SPL season, Williamson with his superb offside trap, Clarke and now Alessio. 

Excellent post.

20 minutes ago, skygod said:

The 1964/65 side didn't march to the title through rose petals scattered in their path. Moaners are not a new thing. My grandfather grumbled about "too much tippy tappy" and players like Jackie McInally divided opinion in the crowd, it's fair to say.

A look at the table shows that you have to go down to ninth place to find a team which scored fewer goals that season. But nobody conceded fewer.

Killie have always done best when we are a bit dour and boring. Mean in defence and grinding out results. Waddell, Burns in his only SPL season, Williamson with his superb offside trap, Clarke and now Alessio. 

Interesting insight skygod. Reassuring in a way that discussions like these are as much a part of the club as anything else.

My grandad was a massive bluenose. Despite that, he was a nice old boy and I was very close to him. Had a massive blindspot with Barry Ferguson. ‘Always side ways, never forward’. But I really rated Ferguson - I like ball retention - so we had to agree to disagree.

Sadly he died a couple of years before the UEFA Cup final where Ferguson was captain so I never got the chance to tell him GIRFUY.

I think it is just a mark of how far we have come that people are complaining because we are winning every week but it's so boring. Under Allan Johnston fans would have bitten your arm too for a run of results like ours.

As noted elsewhere the style is dictated by the playing staff. We dont have an Eremenko or Mulumbu spraying dangerous forward passes in behind the opposition defence. We dont have a prolific goal scorer like Sammon or Stewart so all we can do is dominate possession and make it next to impossible for the opposition to create anything. Then we only need to take one decent chance to get all3 pts.

By the way, I see 'Well are 1-0 up at Gregskull do we want to stay 3rd or do we want to see the Sevconians get turned over? Either way is good for me.

17 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I'm getting fed up.

Steve Clarke took over almost two years ago. Since then, we've been organised, compact when defending and using the counter attack well. We've not been free scoring, or free flowing, but we've been effective. The league table doesn't lie.

We've now played ten games, and we're third. We had the CQN debacle, a narrow defeat to Rangers and the away defeat to Hamilton. Since then, we've reverted to type. Each week, I read the same comments - 'that was dire', 'we were murder', 'the football is terrible'. We have played the same way in every game since that Hamilton defeat. Only Celtic were able to counter it, and even then, only they and Livingston even managed to score against us (in 90 minutes for you pedants).

I wonder if some folk have had a visit from Tommy Lee Jones and WIll Smith and had the Locke/Johnston/Clark/McCulloch tenures erased from memory. Again, for those struggling with comprehension, we're third. It's not a flash in the pan, it's not papering over the cracks, it's what we do now. Clarke has gone, but the guy that coached the Italian national team, Juventus and Chelsea is in charge now and it's fair to say that the man does know what he's doing. We all know that we're missing a number ten, but we can't realistically change that until January.

We're so solid across the back four and midfield I wonder if this is the same Killie that I've been watching for nearly 25 years. So to hear the boos when, about five minutes before we scored the winning goal, when a backwards pass was played (when the alternative was GIVING THE BLOODY BALL AWAY) really made my shoulders slump.

So you'll need to suck it up, and endure effective, Europa League qualifying fitba for at least another couple of months until we sign the new Eremenko.

Until then, accept that it will be 0-0 at half time, they probably won't score, and that we might. We'll pick up plenty of points in the meantime. I've started saving for next July, and I'm going to make sure I'm registered with a supporters bus ahead of time. What about you?

This is the best post in the current incarnation of the Killiefc forum.

3 hours ago, skygod said:

Top post 

To be fair, Scooby. many of those naysayers and critics back in August were prepared to wait 11 games until they pushed the naive Italian with poor language skills out of the door.

So just for them, please hold all these positive thoughts until Thursday morning. Just in case we lose 7-2 in one of these expansive performances against Motherwell.

Edited by Jon