January transfer

Craigieboy

14 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

As it was actually me who initiated the discussion as to whether he left us a squad of “very” good players, I would have to think it was rather a play on words, the ones I have most of an issue include Millen , Thomas, Frizzell, Broadfoot, Wilson, we had to bring back Millar, Bruce and get two goalkeepers, we knew we had lost our best ever striker, Mulumbu, Jones, and had never looked to replace Stewart.

We were left extremely threadbare and when we brought in a manager who couldn’t even communicate with the players we had we were heading for an Inverness Thistle esque event, and it happened.

We most certainly have one of the worst “squads” in the league, this has been shown by the effect a couple of injuries has had on our season.

We were no more threadbare than when Clarke took over. He was entitled to think the basis of a good squad was there. It's up to any new manager to improve the squad they inherit.

8 hours ago, Boabkfc19 said:

It really annoyes me when folk come on and slate stevie clarke man. The guy was a f**kin magician clearly.  Ill always respect the man for putting us back on the footballing radar.   

The guy worked wonders for the club and will rightly go down history. It’s foolish not to acknowledge how he left us. We had a decent solid group but it was ageing and unbalanced when he left. One recognised striker in Brophy, One main creative player in Burke, Two CB's. It was a solid foundation to build on but it was far weaker than this time last year or the last day of the season. 

10 hours ago, KillieBus said:

We were no more threadbare than when Clarke took over. He was entitled to think the basis of a good squad was there. It's up to any new manager to improve the squad they inherit.

We are though?

Clarke came in and had jones boyd Brophy and erwin all capable of helping each other in the goals chart.

Tell me how we are not any worse off?

And by no means am I taking away from what Clarke done. 

Edited by Ngonge88

Steve Clarke was our best manager since the 60s. But he inherited a capable squad (with three good strikers and three good centre halfs, for example) and left a very thin one.

It’s hardly disrespectful to remember things as they happened.

Edited by NorfolkG

6 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

We are worse off, but ca't quote Boyd Erwin and Jones when talkng about last season, Erwin was only here couple months, Boyd was very much bit part player and Jones only played half the season

They made more impact than the likes of Sow, Jackson, St Clair though. Ndjoli was hit and miss but did much more than Sow and Jackson. We have a major problem without the key players in Stewart or Mulumbu but we don’t have the contribution of the fringe players either

5 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Steve Clarke was our best manager since the 60s. But he inherited a capable squad (with three good strikers and three good centre halfs, for example) and left a very thin one.

It’s hardly disrespectful to remember things as they happened.

I am failing to See why it’s SSC’s fault that players decided to leave our club, and why when he knew he was leaving it was his job to strengthen for the next man coming in.

To be fair he did extend one or two contracts I think it was last Jan before he brought anyone in, Power springs to mind.

its the board who have failed here by not appointing early after SSC’s departure.

We did only pish panic business in Aug that cannot be Clarke’s fault.

unbeleivable. 

I don't find much of this very reassuring:

Dyer said: "I have been talking to the club about transfers and getting players in and doing our bit. But it's up until whenever they say. I just come in every day and do my job. 

"We need another forward obviously and another midfield player to get us going again but we are not far from it.

"We don't need too many changes because the lads in the changing room are good lads and work hard. We just need a little bit of a boost."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/11898630/scottish-premiership-club-by-club-transfers-guide-who-could-be-heading-for-scotland-in-january

Clarke is the best manager we've had at the club in my lifetime by a distance. I love the man!

That being said, we were left in a pickle when he moved on. His plan was always short term and that was reflected in the players he signed. There was never a long term strategy but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his fault. I assume bringing in Fowler means we have a short, medium and long term plan in place.

18 minutes ago, Andy said:

I am failing to See why it’s SSC’s fault that players decided to leave our club, and why when he knew he was leaving it was his job to strengthen for the next man coming in.

To be fair he did extend one or two contracts I think it was last Jan before he brought anyone in, Power springs to mind.

its the board who have failed here by not appointing early after SSC’s departure.

We did only pish panic business in Aug that cannot be Clarke’s fault.

unbeleivable. 

I didn’t say our transfers in summer 2019 were his fault.

I said he inherited a better squad than he left.

A manager should take an active role in forward planning in my opinion, even if he knows he will be leaving.

25 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

i really find it hard to get my head round people being critical of Steve Clarke here. The man work miracles with us . He was here for one and half seasons, can't blame him for not leaving us with a long term squad, he did sign a good few of current squad up on long term contracts. Some of the best players we had were loanees so it's not his fault we don't have them anymore. Steve Clarke is the bes thing that has happened to this club in years and yet still people are questioninh him? This is bonkers

Unfaltering belief in someone - and a refusal to accept they have any faults or make any mistakes - is very North Korean.

Clarke left us a squad with Taylor, Broadfoot, Findlay, O’Donnell, Burke, McKenzie, Power, Dicker and Brophy in it - the core of last season’s squad, many of whom had signed extended contracts. He probably knew there was a good chance of getting Millar back on loan too. He would have known that some other additions were needed in an attacking sense, but I don’t see how Clarke is to blame for us scrambling around at the last minute to sign a goal shy, injury prone striker on loan from a lower league club.

20 minutes ago, skygod said:

Dyer said: "I have been talking to the club about transfers and getting players in and doing our bit. But it's up until whenever they say. I just come in every day and do my job. 

"We need another forward obviously and another midfield player to get us going again but we are not far from it.

"We don't need too many changes because the lads in the changing room are good lads and work hard. We just need a little bit of a boost."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/11898630/scottish-premiership-club-by-club-transfers-guide-who-could-be-heading-for-scotland-in-january

This type of nonchalant attitude is why i didn’t want Dyer getting the job. We are crying out for a leader and a person to galvanise our support and team. 

Players might like him because he is a good laugh but we have been down this road before. His interview with Fowler they didn’t even look at each other. Then since he’s been smirking at time and being non committed to applying for or wanting the job. His body language in interviews and on touch line is not that of a manager. 

We need a manager who’s gonna go and slam a list of players on Bowie’s desk and say we need these. Take the bull by the horns and make things happen. Dyer seems like he will be reactive instead of proactive. If he also believes we only need 1-2 players he’s mad. We need at least 4-5. 

We will never know just who would have joined the club if Clarke had stayed as manager. Folks closer to the board may be able to confirm but I’m sure that we would have seen some interesting names. The loss of Clarke, although not unexpected in the last weeks, made Kilmarnock a lot less attractive to potential signings. Steve Clarke was the pull. It was the steve Clarke revolution. All British media were focusing on the miracle job HE had done. He was bigger than the club in the eyes of the outside world. And signing targets were responding to that. The failure of the board to react to the situation made it difficult to recover before close of summer window but it was always going to be an imposdible task.

Yes, the squad he inherited was stronger than he left but had he stayed I’m very confident we would have had a even stronger squad going into the 19/20 campaign. I can’t hold him responsible for the fact that he was the draw and transfer targets he had would not come after he left - to join a, then, managerless club.

5 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

This type of nonchalant attitude is why i didn’t want Dyer getting the job. We are crying out for a leader and a person to galvanise our support and team. 

Players might like him because he is a good laugh but we have been down this road before. His interview with Fowler they didn’t even look at each other. Then since he’s been smirking at time and being non committed to applying for or wanting the job. His body language in interviews and on touch line is not that of a manager. 

We need a manager who’s gonna go and slam a list of players on Bowie’s desk and say we need these. Take the bull by the horns and make things happen. Dyer seems like he will be reactive instead of proactive. If he also believes we only need 1-2 players he’s mad. We need at least 4-5. 

Correct. The only possible rational I can find in all this madness is that Fowler will actually take a much more active role in matters relating to the first team. That he will be the one driving the strategy and that Alex will coach only. Even then it seems lame.

26 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Clarke is the best manager we've had at the club in my lifetime by a distance. I love the man!

That being said, we were left in a pickle when he moved on. His plan was always short term and that was reflected in the players he signed. There was never a long term strategy but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his fault. I assume bringing in Fowler means we have a short, medium and long term plan in place.

This is what everybody means about Clarke in a nutshell. Nobody is blaming him as such, we are just saying that the squad that was left was worse than the squad he had.

31 minutes ago, skygod said:

If he thinks we only need 1 or 2 players then that is seriously worrying. With Jackson and Sow away surely we need 2 strikers to replace them as a bare minimum. Coupled with another midfielder and possibly a winger, there’s 4 players straight off the bat. 

He can stop all this “they’re good lads who work hard” pish as well. Just because they’re good lads doesn’t make them good enough to play for us. Sounds more and more like we’re getting into the realms of McCulloch and Locke 

Dyer is a middle man between players and manager. The fact he publicly stated he wouldn’t be applying for the job should have been the end of him. Instead our f**king incompetent board decides to give him it. 
Be aswell giving Fowler it if that’s the case that he will pick all transfer targets. I hope we are all wrong and Dyer is some sort of inspiration but going on the three previous games I’m seriously concerned. 

28 minutes ago, killie89 said:

Clarke left us a squad with Taylor, Broadfoot, Findlay, O’Donnell, Burke, McKenzie, Power, Dicker and Brophy in it - the core of last season’s squad, many of whom had signed extended contracts. He probably knew there was a good chance of getting Millar back on loan too. He would have known that some other additions were needed in an attacking sense, but I don’t see how Clarke is to blame for us scrambling around at the last minute to sign a goal shy, injury prone striker on loan from a lower league club.

Alternatively, SC left the exact same core that he inherited; the Board secured assets on longer deals.

SC isn’t to blame for us panic-recruiting. I don’t think anyone is saying that.  It was surely though part of his role in autumn 2018 to start medium-term planning of transfers for June of 2019?

Edited by NorfolkG

2 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Alternatively, SC left the exact same core that he inherited; the Board secured assets on longer deals.

SC isn’t to blame for us panic-recruiting. I don’t think anyone is saying that.  It was surely though part of his role in autumn 2018 to start medium-term planning of transfers for June of 2019?

I’m interested to know if he actually did this. His transfer policy was completely different to everyone else in the division in that he seemed content to wait and recruit at the end of the window. We didn’t do a lot of work early in the window and a few of his signings he admitted became available at the last minute

1 minute ago, piffer said:

I’m interested to know if he actually did this. His transfer policy was completely different to everyone else in the division in that he seemed content to wait and recruit at the end of the window. We didn’t do a lot of work early in the window and a few of his signings he admitted became available at the last minute

That’s a fair point - we don’t know how recruitment was done under SC.