January transfer

Craigieboy

I don't want to harp on about Kenny Shiels because he had his faults but one thing you couldn't accuse him of was "just coming in every day and doing his job". 

He used to jump in his car after training and drive down to the north of England to scout players in the Northern Premier League (remember Craigieboy's favourite, Altrincham's Damian Reeves?!). 

He also took an interest in all the youth teams and knew all the kids' names. If he was still up to it and stuck to his remit, he would be an excellent Head of Youth, as has been suggested recently. Mind you, would he want to come back after applying for the manager's job and not even getting a reply?

And he wasn't averse to going round the pubs in the town meeting supporters. 

It would have been interesting to see what he would have achieved with a more supportive board. 

Edit - It's also interesting to compare his attitude when Mixu left and he was appointed caretaker.

“It doesn’t show on this face but I’m pleased,” Shiels said. “I have my aspirations to meet challenges and being the manager of Kilmarnock is one of those challenges I’d like to meet. To take it on a full-time basis would be fantastic for the players and myself.

“I feel it would be a good decision for the board. That’s a little bit egotistical but certainly, where I’m at, I would think it would be a great opportunity for me."

Edited by skygod

21 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

Alternatively, SC left the exact same core that he inherited; the Board secured assets on longer deals.

SC isn’t to blame for us panic-recruiting. I don’t think anyone is saying that.  It was surely though part of his role in autumn 2018 to start medium-term planning of transfers for June of 2019?

I think he is partly to blame. He failed to sign a striker last jan and ran with loans instead. Meant we started the season with a threadbare squad

7 minutes ago, Jmac37 said:

18 points and 19 goals worse off than this time last year. We need way more than a couple of players and to 'work hard' in training.

I’m hoping it’s just playing our cards close to our chest and trying not to disrupt the squad too much by saying we need big changes. Completely agree with you though that we need at least four and that’s before we let anymore leave and not including the boys who might come back from loan

41 minutes ago, Jmac37 said:

18 points and 19 goals worse off than this time last year. We need way more than a couple of players and to 'work hard' in training.

Exactly the type of stat we all feared. So disheartening seeing things unravel the way they have.  

1 hour ago, NorfolkG said:

Alternatively, SC left the exact same core that he inherited; the Board secured assets on longer deals.

SC isn’t to blame for us panic-recruiting. I don’t think anyone is saying that.  It was surely though part of his role in autumn 2018 to start medium-term planning of transfers for June of 2019?

Fair point, but it could potentially have been very difficult to do much forward planning if both Clarke and the board knew he was likely to be off in the summer. They would have been faced with the prospect of being honest with potential signings and saying Clarke won’t be here much longer. Or they could have not told potential signings that information, and ended up with a load of pissed off players who had been attracted to the club by the opportunity to work with Clarke. Either way it would have been tough.

5 minutes ago, Mcd said:

Can we please just for one day try to be positive. I appreciate things are worrying at the moment but let's try to have a positive post only day

Your quite right. Looking at the BBC site they were well into double figures for transfers completed by this point last year. So far this year it’s five. We have to realise it’s just a slow window. 

4 minutes ago, killie89 said:

They would have been faced with the prospect of being honest with potential signings and saying Clarke won’t be here much longer. Or they could have not told potential signings that information, and ended up with a load of pissed off players who had been attracted to the club by the opportunity to work with Clarke.

Footballers know when they join a club that nothing is guaranteed about the manager, chairman or players being around for any length of time.

I would be shocked if any club had ever told a player that the manager wouldn't be around beyond the summer, when it wasn't in the public domain.

Without paying fees I think January is going to be tough to undertake any major long term squad rebuilding for us. 

I know there have been a few names mentioned who’s contracts end in January but in the main permanent contracts run to summer. 

I have a feeling that we are likely to be looking at some more short term deals and loans until the end of the season for this window.

I hope we are definitely looking at pre contracts and trying to get offers in early, if a club is keen and in early it may help sway players who have more than one option (Maybe the likes of Matt Kennedy) 

Suppose it would have given a boost to many if the club had announced a signing in first day or so of this “window” .....but hopefully even with the holiday period and current winter break , the groundwork has been done and negotiations on new recruits are at an advanced stage ....

After failures in the summer months this time needs to be an onus on quality additions in the key needed areas ....might be case as with other windows that certain deals need to wait till near end of Month......but would be beneficial this time if in terms of attacking players the deals where done before the games start again