January transfer

Craigieboy

1 hour ago, Maverick11 said:

Leigh Griffiths is the next name I’ve heard we are interested in taking on loan. Celtic are keen to get him game time and see Killie as an opportunity where he is most likely to fit. 

While there is little doubt Griffiths would be an outstanding signing, both in terms of what he can offer individually and how he would help others flourish, I’d estimate the chances of this actually happening at 0%.

It’s not just that his level is way higher than ours, but also he was used by Celtic in their most recent, high profile match.

I can’t imagine any circumstances where Leigh Griffiths would see Killie as a good move.

3 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

While there is little doubt Griffiths would be an outstanding signing, both in terms of what he can offer individually and how he would help others flourish, I’d estimate the chances of this actually happening at 0%.

It’s not just that his level is way higher than ours, but also he was used by Celtic in their most recent, high profile match.

I can’t imagine any circumstances where Leigh Griffiths would see Killie as a good move.

They are signing another striker who they rate highly aren't they? That would be the only thing that might suggest something in this. But I'm sceptical too. 

Edited by mitch14

Just now, mitch14 said:

They are signing another striker who they rare highly aren't they? That would be the only thing that might suggest something in this. But I'm sceptical too. 

Fair point.

But even still, I can’t imagine we have any chance. If we picked up permanent player, half as good, I’d be happy.

Don’t really see what all the panic is about with signings it’s 2 weeks to our next game the players are having a mid season break so there has been no training this week, am sure that AD and JF have been discussing what they need during the window and will have targets in mind what they believe we need to push us back in to the top six and move away from the bottom clubs

2 hours ago, Maverick11 said:

Who said he was playing upfront on his own? Did you watch Brophy and Stewart?

Griffiths totally different to Stewart. Stewart was an absolute magician with the ball at his feet, Griffiths more a selfish goalscorer.

Would 100% take him though, as proved with hibs the season he scored goals and their team wasnt great

6 minutes ago, LH31 said:

I predict any business we do will be done towards the end of the window and not the start. 

I think so. I am also going in with low expectations. Apart from Mulumbu and Stewart who have we brought in that has actually been any good in the last two years under Clarke. Seems since McCulloch our recruitment has been poor but the players who were left by him upped their game. Now they are off the boil badly I don't see how suddenly we are going to unearth some gems. I am now of the opinion that we should be concentrating on making sure we address this slide and avoid getting sucked into the playoff spot as after the second round of fixtures as complete against Celtic we could just be two pints off it. 

1 hour ago, kmck18 said:

Don’t really see what all the panic is about with signings it’s 2 weeks to our next game the players are having a mid season break so there has been no training this week, am sure that AD and JF have been discussing what they need during the window and will have targets in mind what they believe we need to push us back in to the top six and move away from the bottom clubs

Whilst I'm absolutely not advocating panic stations anywhere near this stage, I see St Mirren are today reported to be trying to agree compensation for an Irish centre half who can also play right back or defensive mid. 21 year old from Cork City. Now I've no idea if he's good or otherwise, but I assume given the stage of negotiations they're at that St Mirren have been looking at him and targeting him since before the window opened. I hope we're in the same boat with a few targets and we hear some news sooner rather than later. 

In the summer we were told that part of the problem was that the same clubs were all competing for the same players that were available. I thought at the time it was a nonsense excuse, there's a continent full of players out there. 

17 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

there's a continent full of players out there. 

The problem in January is that most of them under contract so we would have to pay transfer fees, which we are traditionally reluctant to do.

But St Mirren do seem to be doing their work more publicly, at least. Whether they are ahead of us, we can only hope not.

We haven't even, as rumoured, announced that MacDonald, Kiltie and Waters will be recalled.

Edited by skygod

15 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Griffiths will go to Hibs or South. No way he will come to us. Maybe under Clarke but not under a manager who didn’t even apply for the job.

I honestly think, mad as it sounds, that it's been a case of "Mulumbu will come back if Dyer is in charge, and that will keep the fans happy if nothing else"

9 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I honestly think, mad as it sounds, that it's been a case of "Mulumbu will come back if Dyer is in charge, and that will keep the fans happy if nothing else"

Totally agree. Smokescreen comprise. 

Mulumbu to randomly comment in the papers that he backs Dyer for a job he’s not even applying for. Bit of a coincidence and in same article refuses to rule out return. 

I think Mulumbu was fantastic for us and I would have him back in our team but how long till he is fully fit ? Also he will want 4K + a week. 
I’d rather he signed an 18 month deal and committed to the club. 

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

The problem in January is that most of them under contract so we would have to pay transfer fees, which we are traditionally reluctant to do.

But St Mirren do seem to be doing their work more publicly, at least. Whether they are ahead of us, we can only hope not.

We haven't even, as rumoured, announced that MacDonald, Kiltie and Waters will be recalled.

With all due respect, I remember playing championship manager 01/02 and I know ho... 

In all seriousness though, I realise January is absolutely a tougher time for recruitment than the summer. But there'll still be a good enough mix of players looking for loans or free agents around even at this stage. Whether they're in Scotland, England, Ireland or beyond. It's up to us to be on top of this sort of thing and not to wait until the last day constantly feeding off scraps. 

I read a headline this morning about Aberdeen and McInnes that they target 10 different leagues for recruitment purposes.

1 minute ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

With all due respect, I remember playing championship manager 01/02 and I know ho... 

In all seriousness though, I realise January is absolutely a tougher time for recruitment than the summer. But there'll still be a good enough mix of players looking for loans or free agents around even at this stage. Whether they're in Scotland, England, Ireland or beyond. It's up to us to be on top of this sort of thing and not to wait until the last day constantly feeding off scraps. 

I read a headline this morning about Aberdeen and McInnes that they target 10 different leagues for recruitment purposes.

Yep. Players from the SPFL Premier League, the Scottish Premiership, the top league in Scotland, etc.

31 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Totally agree. Smokescreen comprise. 

Mulumbu to randomly comment in the papers that he backs Dyer for a job he’s not even applying for. Bit of a coincidence and in same article refuses to rule out return. 

I think Mulumbu was fantastic for us and I would have him back in our team but how long till he is fully fit ? Also he will want 4K + a week. 
I’d rather he signed an 18 month deal and committed to the club. 

Have said this before. If he wants somewhere again which benefits both parties, he signs an 18 month deal, even if it is 5k a week. 

Put a clause in saying 500k bid and he can go.

From celtic fans I know they reckon celtic are paying him something until the summer or finds a new club, so probably as well for him doing nothing unfortunately. 

Dont think fitness will be an issue tbh. The quality he has would shine through I reckon

Just now, Alan56 said:

Sorry but our “folk” should not be on holiday given the work that needs done at the club. The directors and management team should be on the tools. 

mean that agents and players are, I dare say the management team are working to identify players wanted