January transfer

Craigieboy

I was hoping Fowler might be able to use his contacts to persuade McGeouch to come here but we’ll not be able to compete with Aberdeen and also Hibs who are interested. 

Liam Henderson out of favour at Verona and looking to move? Always thought he was a talent, could we tempt him back even on loan here especially as he’s spoken about his Scotland aspirations.  Don’t know if it would be financially do-able?

I strongly believe our model as a club should be acquiring players cheaply, developing them and selling them on at a profit.

The only recent example of where we have succeeded in this is with Coulibaly. Jones and O'Donnell could have yielded a profit but it looks like they will both have been allowed to leave for free.

The same can't be allowed happen with Findlay and Brophy, if we can possibly help it, and we need to develop our scouting network to find more talent.

If allied to a more productive youth system, the club should be financially stable.

Signing players like McGeouch, other than on loan, isn't the best use of our limited resources.

Edited by skygod

36 minutes ago, skygod said:

I strongly believe our model as a club should be acquiring players cheaply, developing them and selling them on at a profit.

The only recent example of where we have succeeded in this is with Coulibaly. Jones and O'Donnell could have yielded a profit but it looks like they will both have been allowed to leave for free.

The same can't be allowed happen with Findlay and Brophy, if we can possibly help it, and we need to develop our scouting network to find more talent.

If allied to a more productive youth system, the club should be financially stable.

Signing players like McGeouch, other than on loan, isn't the best use of our limited resources.

I agree and I disagree to an extent. 

Developing and selling is a great long term plan, however at the same time Steve Clarke delivered my favourite ever time being a kilmarnock supporter. 

He only ever had a short term plan with us, but it was amazing.

If we can get 2 or 3 outstanding players at 30 year old and get 2/3 brilliant seasons out them and they go for free I'll be quite happy.

9 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

I agree and I disagree to an extent. 

Developing and selling is a great long term plan, however at the same time Steve Clarke delivered my favourite ever time being a kilmarnock supporter. 

He only ever had a short term plan with us, but it was amazing.

If we can get 2 or 3 outstanding players at 30 year old and get 2/3 brilliant seasons out them and they go for free I'll be quite happy.

I'd agree.  Whilst focussing solely on youth is a nice idea, it's not sustainable.  It's modern day football for clubs of our size that we'll have to renew our squad with loan deals every 6/12 months, whilst signing who we can and bringing youth through where possible.

5 minutes ago, Barbinho said:

Whilst focussing solely on youth is a nice idea, it's not sustainable.  

I wasn’t suggesting focussing solely on youth. 

I said that someone like McGeouch could be acquired on a loan basis, and even someone signed permanently doesn’t have to be youthful. 

To use the example of Coulibaly, Jones and O’Donnell again, none of them were especially young. 

We need to get away from the idea that players aged 21 and 22 are youths. 

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

St Mirren completed two deals Mentioned above today. Seem to have invested a bit of cash as well. 

The defender they signed involved a fee and the other was a number 10 who has decent experience with Dundalk and St. Pats in europa league games. We have to get past this idea that we can't pay transfer fees, we're missing out on players like these who have potential that could then be sold on for profit. 

Nominal fees are about as much as we are arsed with. We must have 2 million sitting and the players we have brought in on loan etc will be on half what we paid last season. Branescu and DDF will not be getting cash from us. Probably same as Millar all will have clauses about playing. Maybe why Koprivec isn’t getting a chance. 

2 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Nominal fees are about as much as we are arsed with. We must have 2 million sitting and the players we have brought in on loan etc will be on half what we paid last season. Branescu and DDF will not be getting cash from us. Probably same as Millar all will have clauses about playing. Maybe why Koprivec isn’t getting a chance. 

We have 2 million sitting? You for real

10 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I think we should settle for three quality loans in this window to ensure safety, and start serious recruiting in the summer. Two reasons are 1) the difficulty in attracting the right permanent players in January and 2) the Manager’s long term future will be addressed in the summer. Pragmatism. 

Exactly. Priority number one is ensuring we stay in the league. Based on recent performances that certainly isn't a given.

15 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I think we should settle for three quality loans in this window to ensure safety, and start serious recruiting in the summer. Two reasons are 1) the difficulty in attracting the right permanent players in January and 2) the Manager’s long term future will be addressed in the summer. Pragmatism. 

Maybe AD IS having a word in stevie clarkes ear on who to sign?