January transfer

Craigieboy

50 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I think we should settle for three quality loans in this window to ensure safety, and start serious recruiting in the summer. Two reasons are 1) the difficulty in attracting the right permanent players in January and 2) the Manager’s long term future will be addressed in the summer. Pragmatism. 

This sounds liable to recreate the situation we were in last summer.

Almost all players leave (loans and out of contract) - manager leaves - directors go on holiday - new manager appointed eventually - scramble to recruit and blend almost a full squad follows.  

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Surely if mulumbu was returning he would have started training with the squad today. 

Why do we keep going on about this, it isnt happening at all.  I will be deliriously happy of proven wrong.... but I suspect I will be just as disappointed with the dross we dredge up in this window.

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

This sounds liable to recreate the situation we were in last summer.

Almost all players leave (loans and out of contract) - manager leaves - directors go on holiday - new manager appointed eventually - scramble to recruit and blend almost a full squad follows.  

The difference would be we could also begin our summer recruitment now. That didn’t seem to happen last year we stopped when the window shut. A small bit of gossip about offering Bryson a pre contract and that was about it until AA took over. 

4 hours ago, skygod said:

I strongly believe our model as a club should be acquiring players cheaply, developing them and selling them on at a profit.

The only recent example of where we have succeeded in this is with Coulibaly. Jones and O'Donnell could have yielded a profit but it looks like they will both have been allowed to leave for free.

The same can't be allowed happen with Findlay and Brophy, if we can possibly help it, and we need to develop our scouting network to find more talent.

If allied to a more productive youth system, the club should be financially stable.

Signing players like McGeouch, other than on loan, isn't the best use of our limited resources.

Generally agree as stated before. Need to find talent - typically young - in lower uk leagues. Pay nominal fees up to 50k. Hopefully most will contribute. Some will remain, others will drop out but the odd one will command a significant Transfer fee. Ideally look for 4 year contracts, with optimum resale after 2 years. One caveat though. To attract sponsorship and even fans and raise media awareness, there is room for me from 2 marquee players in the team. Players of proven pedigree, that command a higher salary than others. That other players look up to. Effectively have a 3 tier player system. The elite players. The core players. And the transitional players (that can move into one of the other buckets after some time at the club or that will be sold on at profit). The idea that all players need to be in a “ salary band” will hold us back and stop bringing in the types of talent that can make a huge difference. It sounded like the club were prepared to do that for Stewart loan last January. We need to do this with a couple of other players. If not in January then certainly in the summer.

I reckon we'll sign 2 before the end of the window and two free agents after it shuts.

We can attract players if the deal is right obviously ... it might mean offering higher bonuses to offset a lower wage than they are used to, or in the case of a longer term deal we insert a moderate release clause.

I’m really hoping we are looking at signing more than two players. We've let two strikers leave and we’re in desperate need of bolstering the attack before that. There’s also a passenger like St Clair and the likes of Millar who just aren’t delivering

39 minutes ago, TTF said:

Alex Dyer has confirmed we are looking to sign a striker and a link player. 

Several times, very clear that he is looking to add two players.

It seems that those, plus players returning from loan, might be it. It looks like two is a few, where AD is concerned!

It sounded like he had been prepped to stress how happy, proud and even over the moon he is to get the job, and that he and JF have a very good working relationship.

He said that JF called him the day after the St Mirren match and told him he could have the job if he wanted it. Good to know the club operates along such informal lines! 

Edited by skygod