January transfer

Craigieboy

25 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

It’s not that we expect to be kept up with every development in the transfer market. But the board need to appreciate the shift change in circumstances over the last few months and should move to energise the fans with a clear message of intent. In an ideal world I would like to see something, anything, along the following lines;

“ the board is fully aware of the current mood within the fan base. It’s been a challenging few months for all. The appointment of the previous manager did not proceed as anticipated and whilst the precise details around the decision to terminate need to be kept confidential, it is accepted that mistakes have been made. We are all working hard to bring stability to the club And to provide Alex dyer with our full support to improve matters on the field. After all, this is the most important aspect of why we exist. We, as the board, will never lose sight of this.

We enjoyed unprescedented success under steve Clarke and although it is a hard act to follow, our ambitions to be a top club in Scotland, competing for European places, remains the objective. We have a detailed business plan to support this and this will involve significant investment in the playing staff - quality over quantity - as well as further investment in the staffing and infrastructure. The net positive transfer dealings and above budget revenues in 2018/19 will support this. James Fowler is spending night and day on player recruitment at the moment and we expect to see some some new faces in the coming days. We also continue to seek broader representation for the board which includes fresh sources of investment. We urge your patience through this transitional period. Your support over the years has been tremendous and everyone, staff and players, are hugely grateful for this. We believe there are great days ahead. Keep believing.”

It would take 15 minutes to knock something out and at least show  connection.

EXACTLY what is need, imo.  Instead, we get the odd tweet about ticketing information.  An update such as the one above would go a long way to appease a pissed off support.  

Radio Silence as usual. Releasing a statement like that would mean they have to acknowledge things are going wrong and that they may be at fault for mismanagement and incompetence. 

We will keep quiet and drip feed rewritten interviews to appease our fans. Maybe get one guy on loan before Queens Park before the inevitable interview.” We are trying hard to get people in but many clubs are interested in same targets”. Had we been prepared we would have been waiting New Year’s Day with offers on table for 5-6 players. 

It’s so important we bring in quality. More than any transfer window we need to put a bit extra money out and get starters who are gonna level us out. If we go down the cheap route like we have with our manager then we are in my opinion happy to accept mediocrity and therefore allowing decline to continue. 

All too similar to summer, cup match against minnows, new manager, no signings in place, what can possibly go wrong on Saturday? 
Honestly, a bad result on Saturday will be the final straw for many who decided to give the club “another chance”, it will give many the opportunity to say I told you so and return to the Juniors or similar.

12 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Had we been prepared we would have been waiting New Year’s Day with offers on table for 5-6 players

We didn’t have to wait until New Year’s Day. They could have been signed then. The recruitment process should be an ongoing thing not just kick in during transfer windows. 

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

It would take 15 minutes to knock something out and at least show  connection.

To be honest I dont think they need to say anything, what they need to do is make sure the squad is a lot stronger on 31st January than it is now. However, the longer the window goes the more everyone will become nervous because the summer window was a disaster - compounded by a ridicuolous tweet on the final day from a director of the club

1 minute ago, GCM said:

Another non-scoring striker.

Actually, he seems to have a decent record at certain clubs (in albeit small numbers of games) - seems to be one of these guys that needs the right set up.

I'd be more inclined to question why he doesn't have more games under his belt by now.

When/If we have a complete strike force, not all of them have to be 15+ goal strikers. Having a couple who can hit the back of the net and then someone like Thomas who is more of a physical striker and can put himself around creating chances and space for the other strikers is a good balance to have and gives different options  

A powerful forward, he is a threat in the air and on the ground.[7] Former Derby youth coach Darren Wassall described him as a "model professional".[38] Before being released by Coventry, Academy coach Jason Farndon said that "his physicality has always been his main threat but now everyone is catching up with his physicality so he has got to reinvent himself."

10 minutes ago, Mojike and Bod said:

Kwame Thomas is not very highly rated by Donny fans. ‘Seriously Sunday League’ ‘worst player to play for us since the Conference days’ are two of the quotes from my big pal who watches Rovers. Not entirely hopeful he will prove to be a rough diamond....

Quite often these giants aren't great technically but can still offer something. At least he would give us another dimension in play. We have literally no eye for goal in the team at the minute, so if he's picked up a few goals since October he's maybe worth the gamble if his attitude is right.

There are guys who have come up here with similar records and done well, even guys with unspectacular records at lower levels yet.

31 minutes ago, killieboy87 said:

Actually, he seems to have a decent record at certain clubs (in albeit small numbers of games) - seems to be one of these guys that needs the right set up.

I'd be more inclined to question why he doesn't have more games under his belt by now.

I think it's the same for a lot of young guys who get picked up by big(ish) clubs early on. They get farmed out to loans every 6 months and hardly get a game. 

Guy is 24 and has 3 goals in 10 this season in league 1. Not the worst.

Realistically we're not going to go to league 1/2 and pick up a 10-15 goal striker, especially not in january. 

I'd be enquiring about Nisbet both for now and for summer. The championship is a decent level now, most clubs would give teams in top league a game.

What standard of striker are folk expecting............................................

We either have to unearth one of our own from the youth or sign a rough diamond and hope he hits some form.

Every club want a striker if we manage to get one scoring regularly, he will be gone in 6 months given the market.

Brophy was being linked to Championship just a few months back, I find that hard to believe.

Whether it’s a creative player (my preference) or a big brute, the key thing is we get support in for Brophy.

Very reluctant to write anyone off until I have actually seen them play. Sam Cosgrove’s pre-Aberdeen Wiki would have caused panic for some stat-hungry posters. One goal for Carlisle.

Edited by NorfolkG