January transfer

Craigieboy

Just now, Wrangodog said:

I don't think it will be an eye opener. They'll turn out for an end of season game that promised our best league finish for over fifty years, but turning out for a possible thumping midweek in January at £27 a go is a completely different story. 

And its on SKY which won't help....

35 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

TBF, he's not saying anything different than what was already on here.

Surprised it's taken him this long to pick up the Bunn story, as it was posted on here a week ago that he was training with us.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

TBF, he's not saying anything different than what was already on here.

Surprised it's taken him this long to pick up the Bunn story, as it was posted on here a week ago that he was training with us.

True but last few years anyway the standard don’t normally post stuff unless there’s something in it. 

49 minutes ago, Killiepie said:

What makes you think we're strapped for cash?

Did we have that much more cash around 2010-12? 

I doubt it, yet we could afford to sign players like Dean Shiels, Paul Heffernan, Danny Buijs, Gary Harkins, Lee Johnston, Cillian Sheridan, Borja Perez, Sammy Clingan and so on, who I would describe as proper, mature fitba' players.

I can't say that about a lot of the players we have signed in the last year. 

Gates are up, if anything. I don't remember any major transfer receipts back then - Sammon and Bryson maybe, yet we've had Taylor recently. We've had back-to-back Top Six finishes. 

Yet we are  dealing in pretty indifferent loan players and bottom-of-the-barrel free transfers.

How come we could afford better players back then than now?

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

I doubt it, yet we could afford to sign players like Dean Shiels, Paul Heffernan, Danny Buijs, Gary Harkins, Lee Johnston, Cillian Sheridan, Borja Perez, Sammy Clingan and so on, who I would describe as proper, mature fitba' players.

Gates are up, if anything. I don't remember any major transfer receipts back then - Sammon and Bryson maybe, yet we've had Taylor recently. We've had back-to-back Top Six finishes. 

Yet we are  dealing in pretty indifferent loan players and bottom-of-the-barrel free transfers.

Probably harsh to lump Bunn into bottom of the barrel frees. He seems to have a reputation as being a good player.

Other than that, I agree. It's baffling that we can't seem to attract the same quality. I can only assume it's maybe a reflection on their being more money in lower league English football than there was a decade ago.

28 minutes ago, KFCSteve said:

I love how we've went from "there's not even a rumour" to "He'll no dae" in the matter of a page.

How about we give the guy a chance, if he signs, and see what he offers on the pitch before judging his ability.

Careful mate, anymore sensible posts on this forum and you will cause mayhem. Only panic and chaos theorys allowed :7:

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Probably harsh to lump Bunn into bottom of the barrel frees. He seems to have a reputation as being a good player.

Other than that, I agree. It's baffling that we can't seem to attract the same quality. I can only assume it's maybe a reflection on their being more money in lower league English football than there was a decade ago.

Agree that plenty money in English leagues but good players in lesser teams in Scotland but we never seem to be able to secure them either. Would like to know what cash is actually available and  why we can't seem to compete with Dundee United for example......

7 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

If Chelsea are now able to sign players, that might push Billy Gilmour further down the pecking order this season.

I'd be asking Sir Steve to put in a good word for us to see if they want to give him some game time with us.

Zero chance of us getting Billy Gilmour.

34 minutes ago, skygod said:

That’s exactly the point. We should be in a better position financially but the quality of player we are bringing in has definitely dropped. 
It seems there is a very determined and conscious effort to reduce operating costs.