Relationship between fans and players

NorfolkG

It's not just at killie, every team has fans that moan no matter what level they are it, be it Real Madrid or Troon Juniors. 

The moaning attitude is abundant in football in general not just at the fans level. Look at how the players and managers constantly moan at referees for example. There is a real lack of respect in the game of football which translates throughout the sport. I'd suggest money has a large part to play with it : players get paid silly amounts of money so feel they are the superstars, and fans who pay to watch them feel they can abuse the players because they are "paying their wages". 

Iam aware Kilmarnock players are not on superstar wages which is why we should not expect them to perform the way the players do that we watch in the champions league on the tele. 

I was once at a Thistle v Ross Co game years ago - Killie not playing. County were flying but Jags still in with a shout of going up and not playing badly. This big gobs**te Thistle fan stood during a pin-drop quiet passage and bellowed out every players names following each time by ‘f**king useless’. Some of our ‘fans’ are really bad but I’ve seen and heard equally bad if not worse elsewhere. There’s the ‘what the ‘f**k are ye dain, dain, dain?’ bampot at Alloa. He’s approaching Fergie levels of abusing his own team.

Edited by carpetfitter

There has IMO been an obvious issue since Nomads and then Accies away. I don’t think the players reacted well to the much deserved criticism for those two performances in particular. They’ve been living in a happy bubble for two seasons but they can’t live off those forever
Attacks are not welcome on individual players that doesn’t help anyone. I’ll admit I vented a bit of frustration in that first half hour at the team as a whole. That was nowhere near acceptable. It was heading back to the dark days of Locke and McCulloch where piss poor teams were coming and taking goals off of us

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

The lack of encouragement for the team at home is depressing. Nobody ever performed better when being criticised than encouraged.

Don't expect putting in a few rows of rail seats to rectify matters either.

I do think there are extenuating circumstances for the flat atmosphere: the humiliation by CQN and the dry style of football.

It doesn’t stop me shouting my head off (in support) but I do understand why some don’t.

The abuse though, I can’t understand it. And it’s making games a far less enjoyable experience. Players reacting should be our tipping point as a support to nip this nonsense.

Totally agree. A right good number of our fans are showing themselves up as spoiled clowns. Rory this, SOD that, Brophy the next thing. How about a bit of support? Regardless of defensive lapses, we still came back from 2 down yesterday yet it was as if some were simply waiting on the players to score a 3rd before they'd dare get behind them. 

The only time I'd ever get on a players back is if they clearly weren't giving 100%. That applies to no one in our current team. 

I canny have anyone in the crowd telling professional footballers they are s**te. Everyone entitled to a moan and to voice displeasure but outright abuse is ridiculous and just generally helpful. I criticise players same as we all do,  but I do it privately - in discussion with my mates. Every single Killie player gets my support at the games. Really is the only thing we can do to affect performances - support the players. 

To make a broader point surrounding the relationship between fans and players. The Connah's Quay debacle cannot be underestimated. Going from the high of the last day of the season to that was the sickener of sickeners. That overwhelming feeling of our achievements being thrown away so quickly still lingers. I said at the time Alessio might never recover from it and unless he wins a trophy or matches Clarke I think that's true. That result still defines  him, sadly. Some of the players are caught up in that too. The immense good will they had in the bank was obliterated that night. It really was that bad. So even though we've managed to steady the ship things are still on thin ice. For some reason McKenzie, SOD, Brophy (to an extent) and some others seem to be carrying the can. 

Feels like a really weird season. 5th in the league but feels more like we're 9th or 10th I think. 

Best hope we have is AA getting a little £ to shape the squad he wants. In a similar vein to Broadfoot maybe we'll be saying goodbye to some of these guys who've done brilliantly for a long term greater good. Cause currently we are operating a Diet Steve Clarke system and it's helping nobody. 

The way we are set up is absolutely dire to watch even when we are winning so the fans are obviously going to have more of a pop when we go behind. We started again with 3 centre  midfielders who all naturally want to hold in front of the defence. I know people will say that’s not what there supposed to do but it’s what happens more often than not. Away from home or against better teams I get it but it’s tragic at home to teams we should be trying to go and actually beat by outperforming them not hoping to sneak a goal then defend it out . I read people on here criticising Hamilton but we’re as defensive as anyone in the league .

1 minute ago, Kanyon said:

The way we are set up is absolutely dire to watch even when we are winning so the fans are obviously going to have more of a pop when we go behind. We started again with 3 centre  midfielders who all naturally want to hold in front of the defence. I know people will say that’s not what there supposed to do but it’s what happens more often than not. Away from home or against better teams I get it but it’s tragic at home to teams we should be trying to go and actually beat by outperforming them not hoping to sneak a goal then defend it out . I read people on here criticising Hamilton but we’re as defensive as anyone in the league .

Yes but there is a huge difference between grumbling at defence-first football and shouting abuse at guys doing their best - and actually playing quite well.

5 minutes ago, Kanyon said:

it’s tragic

These two words you've used sum it up for me. It's a million miles away from tragic. Easy on the eye? Often it's not. Uplifting, out of your seat stuff? No. But it's a good, solid team for the most part. 

I saw us play some tragic stuff under AJ, Locke and McCulloch. This isn't it.

Not having a go at you personally either, as your over the top reaction seems to be common place amongst sections of our support. Waiting on the players to make things happen before getting behind them rather than accepting it works both ways and they're doing their best. 

5 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

These two words you've used sum it up for me. It's a million miles away from tragic. Easy on the eye? Often it's not. Uplifting, out of your seat stuff? No. But it's a good, solid team for the most part. 

Not having a go at you personally either, as your over the top reaction seems to be common place amongst sections of our support. Waiting on the players to make things happen before getting behind them rather than accepting it works both ways and they're doing their best. 

This team is infinitely better than all of the s**te served up by those imposters.

39 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

I don’t see it as over the top. I’m not actually blaming any of the players it’s the manager who sets us up the way we are. For me personally it’s awful to watch you seem to think differently which is fair enough. I’m just saying I can see why some fans turn on the team when we fall behind.

Had to endure most of game yesterday as group of teens/early 20s constantly questioning SODs commitments. Suppose we have to accept we will have a similar proportion of dicks supporting killie as in other teams. May actually have to move to a new part of ground for first time in over 20 years as the constant, ignorant, abuse detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

The whole team looked right off the pace in the first half IMO. Made worse by the style if play. Clearly people in the stands were getting frustrated but it is never helpful to get on the case if individuals. 

Like others on here I could not believe the level of abuse Rory was getting as I thought he was one of our better contributors yesterday.

Maybe Angelo could spend a bit more time explaining his approach to games to the fans as it clearly is not the  hoof it forward at every opportunity  style many of our fan's expect

Edited by gdevoy

Over the last couple of years it felt like the fans had built up a really good bond with the players that could probably be traced back to Clarke’s first home game against Hibs. Right now it feels like we’re in the process of ruining all that for no good reason. Fans pay their money and are entitled to criticise if they want to, but the relentless barracking and singling out of guys who are giving 100% really needs to stop.

It’s not just the odd shout of frustration, which is understandable, but sustained abuse from some people. At home games it starts the minute someone misplaces a pass or makes a poor decision, with no allowances made whatsoever. It’s clear that the players are starting to notice it and get pissed off by it.

Edited by killie89

Did we not have similar posts at various times over the years even on the old forums? ....

Do not think we are alone in having a certain element in our fan base who for some reason think it's ok during 90 minutes to yell personal vulgar OTT abuse at individual players ....some of them probably never use that kind of language in "normal life" ....

Even if we won league would still be those who found something to moan about and feel smug about it .....

38 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Maybe Angelo could spend a bit more time explaining his approach to games to the fans....

I'd prefer he gave his media conference in Italian through an interpreter because, at the moment, they're not worth listening to.

Beyond saying that the team must improve, they don't shed any light on his footballing philosophy, his targets, his analysis of previous matches etc. It must be frustrating to him too that he has to speak so basically - he must have more thoughts he'd like to share.

Tackle them in English when he's got the vocabulary to do them justice.